Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #89,296 of 153,638
@Jason Stoddard can Vali2++ be made (with internal dip switches or jumpers) to select between 6BZ7/6922/6DJ8 and the not-yet-disclosed NOS tube families?

can LISST2 be made using a glass (e.g. boro-silicate) tube instead of a metal can, or does LISST internal "plate" dissipation require a metal can with thermally-conductive filler?
With adapters now you can use quite a few. 5670/6ns7/12au7 have all graced my vali2+. And I know @bcowen has used many many many more than I have!

Mar 12, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #89,297 of 153,638
I understand how you feel but after what I have been through in the past two years and what people in Europe are going through right now, this qualifies as small stuff. I don't sweat small stuff.
Perspective. Thank you for reminding us of the bigger picture.

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #89,299 of 153,638
Ashamed to say that I don't know the album 'Waiting for Columbus' !
I'll put that right this evening...

Last year, over a few beers in a pub, a friend and I pondered the 'best' live albums.
What it really came down to, was our favourite live albums.
I think that many live albums are simply worse- sounding versions of the original studio albums.
However, a few that I really like, include:

Live and Dangerous Lizzy
Made in Japan Deep Purple
Live at Leeds The Who
Live Cream Vol II Cream
Live: The Road Goes Ever On Mountain
At Fillmore East Allman Bros
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out Stones
Free Live Free
Performance Rockin' The Fillmore Humble Pie
Live Rust Neil Young
Blues Alive Gary Moore
Live in Boston Fleetwood Mac
Unplugged EC

Not all of these albums have great recording quality, but what they do have ( in my opinion) are performances of tracks which are at least as good as the studio versions.
+1 on Live & Dangerous.

I'd add Live Killers - Queen

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #89,300 of 153,638
@Jason Stoddard another choice would be to up the courting of Chinese tube manufacturers. If they don't respond ask Chinese government officials why they aren't interested in selling thousands of tubes. They have a lot of people to feed.

@OldRoadToad sorry you lost a dear friend.

Jason, good luck and thanks for the update,
barondla

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #89,301 of 153,638
Freya S is already back in the line.
Thanks @Jason Stoddard
What I meant, but perhaps didn't express very well, is that it has turned out to be a timely decision to relaunch Freya S
I bought mine before production was temporarily ended and I am very glad I did.
It is a true audiophile bargain!
Thanks for yet another great product :relaxed:

Mar 12, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #89,302 of 153,638
We just lost our 16+ year old Labrador. He was a good pet and friend to our son and to me, for that matter he was to all our family. Here in this state we are not allowed to be with a pet when it is euthanized. So...I took all of my saved money and paid for our dog to pass at home with his family. He is worth it and more. Like my mom taught me, there is a reason God spelled backwards is dog.

All dogs go to heaven. I will never make it but I was there to watch him complete that journey. And yes, kittehs make it too. We have lost more than a few felines. My spousal unit is sooooo comforting at these times. "No more pets, as it is too hard to watch them go." And when I pass? "No more husbands. This one was useless and I don't want to risk that again." What ever...:L3000:

I will begin saving again for the integrated amp.

Still want either the LSA VT-70 or that cool integrated Decware model.

In all ways and for always, be well. All of you.

Sorry for your loss, ORT. I’ll be sure to give Elma lots of scratches and hugs when I get back home later this evening. If she recognizes/accepts me after four weeks away, that is.

Mar 12, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #89,303 of 153,638
Folkvangr. The crazy 10-tube amp? Ironically, it was designed (at least in part) to use up our large stock of 6N6P tubes. Given the current situation, it would be most logical to kill it, to preserve tube stocks. But it’s very far along to production. So we’ll make at least one run of these! However, don’t expect this to be an ongoing product, unless things radically change.

So, so, so glad you are still doing at least one run of these. Maybe a fools errand to jump into a 10 tube amp in which replacements are iffy, probably is. But there's common sense, and then there's audiophile and I want this so damn bad. Valhalla 2 off my Soekris 2541 still rocks better than more expensive amps with my HD800/S; stock tubes are dandy...never rolled. I have a mighty need to see what 10 glowing tubes can do with that set up.

I know all is crazy, this is more wide-window aimed.....looking Spring or Summer assuming our big blue marble doesn't further slide into supply-chain madness?

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #89,304 of 153,638
This excites me.
Great post! Another business opportunity: solid state tubes, each with its own signature, to satisfy tube rollers.

Would it be possible to create Lissts with disco lights or a kind of VU meter up the side?

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #89,305 of 153,638
You have plenty of Russian tubes, Fotons anyway :ksc75smile: I bought Melz in December while I still could. The very last one I saw sold went for $150 as Ebay posted that receiving said tubes might be impossible.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #89,306 of 153,638
We just lost our 16+ year old Labrador. He was a good pet and friend to our son and to me, for that matter he was to all our family. Here in this state we are not allowed to be with a pet when it is euthanized. So...I took all of my saved money and paid for our dog to pass at home with his family. He is worth it and more. Like my mom taught me, there is a reason God spelled backwards is dog.

All dogs go to heaven. I will never make it but I was there to watch him complete that journey. And yes, kittehs make it too. We have lost more than a few felines. My spousal unit is sooooo comforting at these times. "No more pets, as it is too hard to watch them go." And when I pass? "No more husbands. This one was useless and I don't want to risk that again." What ever...:L3000:

I will begin saving again for the integrated amp.

Still want either the LSA VT-70 or that cool integrated Decware model.

In all ways and for always, be well. All of you.

Sorry about your loss ORT, I am sure the Lab had a great home and plenty of attention. Sometimes that is all you can do.

Tom

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #89,307 of 153,638
But I just absolutely love the way these things sound.

The same goes for the Yggy OG/Freya+/mono Aegirs/Q950 combo that I have in my living room. I've tried all kinds of things, but this combination just jives with me. Especially the addition of Yggy OG fully rounded it out to an extent I would never have expected.

Except that I kept rolling tubes.

There was always something I didn't like.
Some tubes were too noisy for my taste. Others did't have this natural and "non-obnoxious" bass I would like to hear and know my system is oh so capable of delivering. Others again were a bit too harsh around their highs. Or they were too rolled off. Or they muddied the mids. Or they lacked imaging.

Why would anyone use Lisst when they can use tubes? And if you like solid state, then why would you ever spring for a tube amp in the first place, just to stick some Lisst in there?

I suspect this is something Jason will see as a road to crazyland, but in the same spirit that inspired the different flavors of Yggy, I could envision variations of LISST that will appeal to different ears and/or be optimized for different types of source material. Small ensemble jazz, crunchy metal rock, solo acoustic instruments, symphonic, female vocal, electronic, etc. Not talking one LISST for each slice, but maybe 2 or 3 that will be close enough to hitting the sweet spot for ranges of styles, and cover the gamut collectively. This is an impetus, I think, for tube rolling: to find what provides the most satisfaction for the confluence between a person and whatever content is being listened to -- which in most cases, will vary.

How well do LISSTs work in non-Schiit tube equipment? Have @Paladin79 or @bcowen ever experimented?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #89,308 of 153,638
With adapters now you can use quite a few. 5670/6ns7/12au7 have all graced my vali2+. And I know @bcowen has used many many many more than I have!
6SN7's and their equivalents also run the the Vali 2. I might have tried a couple myself once upon a time. :beerchug: One can stack adapters even. IMG_0587.jpg

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #89,309 of 153,638
I suspect this is something Jason will see as a road to crazyland, but in the same spirit that inspired the different flavors of Yggy, I could envision variations of LISST that will appeal to different ears and/or be optimized for different types of source material. Small ensemble jazz, crunchy metal rock, solo acoustic instruments, symphonic, female vocal, electronic, etc. Not talking one LISST for each slice, but maybe 2 or 3 that will be close enough to hitting the sweet spot for ranges of styles, and cover the gamut collectively. This is an impetus, I think, for tube rolling: to find what provides the most satisfaction for the confluence between a person and whatever content is being listened to -- which in most cases, will vary.

How well do LISSTs work in non-Schiit tube equipment? Have @Paladin79 or @bcowen ever experimented?
I believe they only work in Schiit gear as best I recall. I have never tried a LISST myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back