Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 11, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #89,236 of 150,478
Ding ding ding! He was a great performer! RIP.
I was just talking about Jim. We were just comparing notes on our first flights in a single seater. The friend did hers at Livermore with all the added complexity of ATC, I admitted to Tracy - where my S1S and Jim's Bulldog lived and no ATC. She said I was - in effect - a wimp - so I pointed out that I had a supercritical audience in including the mad marine, JL who had the hangar across from us. A nice gut and mad as a box of frogs.

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #89,237 of 150,478
I was just talking about Jim. We were just comparing notes on our first flights in a single seater. The friend did hers at Livermore with all the added complexity of ATC, I admitted to Tracy - where my S1S and Jim's Bulldog lived and no ATC. She said I was - in effect - a wimp - so I pointed out that I had a supercritical audience in including the mad marine, JL who had the hangar across from us. A nice gut and mad as a box of frogs.
I was attending that show At Dayton with two of my son-in-laws and my oldest grandson when this accident happened. Grandson was around 3 years old. One son-in-law had just came home from a deployment in Afghanistan.

We were not very close to the accident site. Plane went below our line of site, below crowd level. Thinking OK, where is coming back up. Saw some smoke and you start praying...

My condolences to you for your friend. RIP

Mar 11, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #89,239 of 150,478
A wise person once said to me, "All audio is a compromise. The trick is deciding what compromises you are willing to live with."
When Colin Chapman was designing his ground-breaking Lotus Elite with its fiberglass monocoque body, he faced a three-inch dilemma. The passenger compartment needed to be three inches taller. But raising the roof three inches would destroy the car's rather beautiful profile. Lowering the floor three inches would have it scraping the ground. Chapman was stymied.
A co-worker asked, why not split the difference, bump the roof an inch and a half, drop the floor the same?
"But that would be a bloody compromise!" an outraged Chapman shouted back.

Some people aren't OK with compromise. You can admire that (so long as you don't have to deal with them directly.)
One wonders if Colin Chapman was an audiophile.

This is another story that is almost certainly apocryphal, but should be true.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #89,240 of 150,478
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #89,241 of 150,478
Been checking the Loki Max page daily. Do you have any estimates of when a silver L.M. will become available?

I haven't been keeping up to date on Schiit over the past year or two due to life, etc. Getting caught up, I was super excited to find about Loki Max. I sent an email asking about this and got this response today:

"Good morning,

I'm sorry but we don't have plans of offering a different finish at this moment. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Laura Z"

Major bummer. Waiting breathlessly for that transport though.

Mar 11, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #89,242 of 150,478
Mar 11, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #89,243 of 150,478
I haven't been keeping up to date on Schiit over the past year or two due to life, etc. Getting caught up, I was super excited to find about Loki Max. I sent an email asking about this and got this response today:

"Good morning,

I'm sorry but we don't have plans of offering a different finish at this moment. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Laura Z"

My black Max looks great on top of my silver Yggdrasil.

Mar 11, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #89,244 of 150,478

"Good morning,

Regards,

Laura Z"

Yeah, LM doesn't even have a drop-down for Finish on the order page (like Magnius which will never have a silver option).

Other large silver products are still theoretically available in silver though (Freya, Rag, Yggy, etc). Not sure why LM would be different from any of those...

I have 5k waiting to burn on silver LM and a silver Tyr pair, but maybe I need to start coming to terms with the idea it may not happen.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #89,245 of 150,478
Music fans who strive to recreate the "artist in the room" experience will always be sorely disappointed. It cannot be done without literally having the artist in the room. The goal SHOULD be to create the most pleasing music reproduction experience you can based on the available media, your personal tastes, your budget and preferences.
I beg to differ.

I've been to several concerts and most of the time I find the sound is better on my system at home.

There are exceptions, of course. You can't beat a live concert where everything is right (i.e., the venue is acoustically appropriate, the volume is appropriate, the equipment is properly set up, etc.). BUT, in my experience, these are rare.

Home is usually the better experience and when you find a well recorded Bluray concert, it's awesome.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #89,246 of 150,478
I beg to differ.

I've been to several concerts and most of the time I find the sound is better on my system at home.

There are exceptions, of course. You can't beat a live concert where everything is right (i.e., the venue is acoustically appropriate, the volume is appropriate, the equipment is properly set up, etc.). BUT, in my experience, these are rare.

Home is usually the better experience and when you find a well recorded Bluray concert, it's awesome.
Sounds like you need to attend better concerts.

I kid of course. But the point remains: if you are happy with your system then the job is done. :)

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #89,247 of 150,478
I beg to differ.

Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" Fat Man in the Bathtub demands speakers, turned up LOUD. :L3000:

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #89,248 of 150,478
Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" Fat Man in the Bathtub demands speakers, turned up LOUD. :L3000:

And the same for Tripe Face Boogie, my other favourite on the album.

:beerchug:
JC

Mar 11, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #89,250 of 150,478
Waiting For Columbus is likely the best sounding live album in my collection. :L3000:
One of the alltime greats! The whole show is one of the most effective uses of a horn section (Tower of Power Horns) in rock and roll. I especially like the sequence: Mercenary Territory, Spanish Moon, Dixie Chicken. Sure sounds good played more louder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back