Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 21, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #87,691 of 150,393
I got all 4... BINGO!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9c38fb455e289bdda9326377730aa2a4.jpg

edit: image had crapped out, re-uploaded

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #87,692 of 150,393
I watched and for the greater part enjoyed, "Farscape". The original "Star Trek" and then "ST-TNG" (which my wife had to convince me to watch) were also good. For film, "Aliens" scared the flies out of me. I looked forward to "Prometheus" but that and the sequel/prequel let me cold as did the 2nd and 3rd "Matrix" films and I refuse to view the fourth "Matrix". I'd rather put "Una Paloma Blanca" by Slim Whitman on loop for eternity than view that travesty.

Top two films for me are "Kingdom Of Heaven" (I have all three versions) and 1951's "Quo Vadis" for the performances of Peter Ustinov and Leo Genn. They are the film for me. I am trying to watch more of those mini-series that are on Prime and Disney but I have well over 1,200 films on Laser Disc, DVD, Blu Ray and UHD Blu Ray. Of late I tend to watch films with Veronica Lake in them. The super hero thing is for me, maxed out now. I will watch/buy the latest "Spider-Man" film when it becomes available as many have told me it is good including my brother and he HATES that genre.

As for Schiit? I am waiting to see what they come up with in the coming year. My son likes the Valhalla 2 paired up with the Modius. I have the new 'table and Echobox Explorer set up and enjoy it very much. Vinyl...who'd a thunk I would ever go back to the past to keep moving in the present.

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #87,693 of 150,393
There is nothing new under the sun and I don't think there will be in sci-fi. The story lines remain the same, even episodes are copied and redone in new garb from one show to the next. The same could be said for dozens and dozens of other non-sci-fi TV programing as well. The mix of personality types in a cast usually so as well. The locales change, the outfits change, the space craft, etc. You either buy in to the character portrayals and enjoy them, or not. It's all about franchises now that can be worked until the udders shrivel up and fall off.

"Firefly" was a tried and true cowboy story but the actors brought something to their characters I found appealing. Adam Baldwins "Jayne" always cracked me up. And then there are the iconic portrayals; William Shatner as James Tiberius Kirk, Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard, and on and on.

The sci-fi literature of the previous two centuries seems to have set up all the possible scenarios I can think of so retreads are inevitable. And literature of the preceding centuries feed into them in one way or another.

But that's just my take.

And I'm a sci-fi fan, even the cheesy low budget stuff from the Flash Gordon's I remember at Saturday matinees in the 50's up to the present.
I have over 250 DVD/BRD/4K sci-fi films in my collection spanning the early 1900's up to today.

Where I've kind of lost interest is in all the Zombie, Vampire, Witches stuff, the adrenaline rush is gone for me with the current trends.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #87,694 of 150,393
The Expanse is great! Of the newer scifi Raised by Wolves is amazing as well, but goes "a bit" off the rails in the final episode. New season should be starting soon.
"Off the rails" is an understatement. I can't think of another final episode of an interesting TV show season that made me feel more like I had wasted my time watching any of it. If it is an indication of things to come I will not be watching season two. Spoiler alert: I think the dragon was from The Never-ending Story?

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #87,696 of 150,393
B5 was the best scifi series ever in my opinion. The character development was superb. That is what JMS does best. If JMS reboots it, I for one will watch it.
And where is @KoshNaranek when you need him?

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #87,697 of 150,393
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #87,698 of 150,393
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #87,699 of 150,393
"Off the rails" is an understatement. I can't think of another final episode of an interesting TV show season that made me feel more like I had wasted my time watching any of it. If it is an indication of things to come I will not be watching season two. Spoiler alert: I think the dragon was from The Never-ending Story?
The Prisoner went of the rails in its final season,

Jan 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #87,700 of 150,393
X-Files started to flounder a bit as well around the 8th or so season, I think.
And then there was that strange but must watch TV for me "Twin Peaks". I think it started as psychopathic murder caper but got stranger somewhere along the line, and was a favorite of mine. Ah, nostalgia!
Looking forward to the final season of "Killing Eve" starting end of Feb. Jodie Comer, spectacular!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #87,701 of 150,393
X-Files started to flounder a bit as well around the 8th or so season, I think.
And then there was that strange but must watch TV for me "Twin Peaks". I think it started as psychopathic murder caper but got stranger somewhere along the line, and was a favorite of mine. Ah, nostalgia!
Looking forward to the final season of "Killing Eve" starting end of Feb. Jodie Comer, spectacular!

You should watch the new season (2017) of Twin Peaks if you haven’t yet, that was a wild ride. If you think the original got weird at some point, the new one amps it up a ton.

At times it was a bit too much even for me.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #87,703 of 150,393
I never watched the Never-ending Story but I remember the song - it was a huge hit by Limahl back in the 80s.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #87,704 of 150,393
On a sadder note, R.I.P. Meat Loaf at age 74. Bat Out of Hell was one of those LPs that defined the '70s. (Of course, Mr. Loaf also had a sci-fi connection - sorta - through his role as Eddie in RHPS.)
Sad news indeed. I still remember the first time I heard 'Bat out of Hell'. I was floored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back