Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #87,122 of 150,704
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #87,123 of 150,704
Nope, that one's already here in my house.
That is indeed yours, I bought two red cabinets just in case my hole saw slipped so I have one cabinet I need to use one day.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #87,124 of 150,704
As much as an extra set of inputs on my Lyr sounds nice, what I would really like is another set of pre-outs for the subwoofer.

RCA Y splitter cables work fabulously. Not as elegant, but less expensive and readily available.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #87,125 of 150,704
I see a black Perpetual Chronograph there. Nice. Very very very nice.
I really like that watch and generally have a few chronographs with me when I travel. I like choices, as does Finnegan. 642D3783-9C45-4A5B-B4D4-8A9325A19954.jpeg

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #87,126 of 150,704
Cooooooooool

How delicate is it? I've only ever seen core memory behind glass. ~20x20inch of computerized doily on a desk would be pretty rad.
Not especially delicate. But I wouldn't thro it around either!!

On our site you'll also find a core memory from an Apollo Guidance Computer, now that we had to guard with our lives when we imaged it! The owner was concerned, but eventually let us image it overnight.

I have some Russian cores that are on the project list for embedding in resin........

Jan 6, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #87,127 of 150,704
Quoted wrong post: RCA Y splitter cables work fabulously. Not as elegant, but less expensive and readily available.
Which is what I am using. I started out going to my subwoofer and from there to my Vidar but I much prefer the sound when my main speakers get the whole signal and play as low as they can. It's not like I am playing at 100+db where things may get overworked trying to play their lowest frequencies at volume and the sound is more natural and fuller this way.

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #87,128 of 150,704
I believe that an add-on RCA input card is available 'off-menu' for the Jot 2, Lyr 3, etc. IIRC, it is not listed as it is a bit of a bear to self-install, but others have posted that they were able to buy the card from Schiit after requesting it via e-mail. Of course, I've slept since then, so while I may be wrong, I do not think I am.
True. I have one in an anti-static baggie waiting for installation. Weird quirk: when I asked Schiit to install it on my Lyr... they said... yes, we can do that. However, the Lyr will then become a custom-made (and thus non-refundable) device. I declined... let them ship it to me with the port taped over... and will install that card myself when I eventually chose to use it. Love my Lyr, btw.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #87,129 of 150,704
I have a friend who likes headphones and is planning on getting a stationary setup soon (as opposed to using a portable usb device like the dragonfly or just his phone). He was looking for recommendations and after giving a few, I now look forward to being a mini Schiitr for him when he and his wife come visit me in July. He is curious about the Valhalla 2 but also is interested in the solid state stuff. I admit the Hel 2 is probably not as good as the Magni or Magnius, but it is a lot better than the Fulla 2 I was using.

Now I am just figuring out the best way to A/B test the systems. (Current thoughts are using my Raspberry Pi with HifiBerry Digi+ hat so it can simultaneously send optical to the Hel and coax to the Modi Multibit, which feeds the Valhalla 2). Or I can feed them with separate Raspberry Pi devices that are synced up, but I do like but the HATs are not the same).

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #87,130 of 150,704
I believe that an add-on RCA input card is available 'off-menu' for the Jot 2, Lyr 3, etc. IIRC, it is not listed as it is a bit of a bear to self-install, but others have posted that they were able to buy the card from Schiit after requesting it via e-mail.
It is the add-on RCA input cards in Ragnarok 2, when ordered as just an amp without DAC and phono cards. When Ragnarok 2 was introduced, Schiit also began selling the card for installation on other products, but it was withdrawn after users experienced fitment problems. I'm surprised it hasn't been redesigned and updated.

I just wanted to give a head's up to anyone who's considering getting the Analog Card (aka RCA input card) for their Asgard 3 (or Jot or Lyr 3).
As of right now, I'm sorry to say that I don't think it's quite really for prime time yet.
There are some issues with the way the card fits on the main board of the amp and how close the top RCA jack is to the chassis.
I'll be sending what I've discovered over to Schiit and I'll let you guys know what comes of it.
But for now, I honestly can't recommend getting the Analog Card for your amp as it currently is designed.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #87,131 of 150,704
True. I have one in an anti-static baggie waiting for installation. Weird quirk: when I asked Schiit to install it on my Lyr... they said... yes, we can do that. However, the Lyr will then become a custom-made (and thus non-refundable) device. I declined... let them ship it to me with the port taped over... and will install that card myself when I eventually chose to use it. Love my Lyr, btw.

That makes sense, as it would be a non-standard configuration.

I would have had them do it; returning something to Schiit from Canada is pretty costly and generally we're better off selling on the used market than returning.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #87,133 of 150,704
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #87,135 of 150,704
Thanks, I will research her.
Don't feed that bird to Finnigan. He might get sick....
They did a nice job on the framing.
Many thanks for hooking me up with the museum for such a fine quality reproduction. Ars Gratia Artis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back