Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #86,791 of 155,095
Dec 30, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #86,792 of 155,095
It was a dark and ICE STORMY night on the 20th. ... ... ... Ontario? Cold and wet. British Columbia? Unnerving layers of ice all over the bloody rental car at Abbotsford Airport. Raunchy weather North of Washington state (did my American sisters/brothers fare a similar fate)? :eyes:
We had another "dusting" of snow last night...
snow5.jpg

Before anyone asks... the wall is to keep out anyone selling MQA, Measurements, or NC BBQ!

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #86,793 of 155,095
or c) in Rome - or actually anywhere in Italy.
I've always found Italians to be very predictable drivers and have no qualms about driving in Rome. Two of us were Brits and two Americans. The Americans could NOT be persuaded to stop worrying about scooters (they avoid the cars) and it got to be a big issue.

Cheers

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #86,794 of 155,095
The proper way to use a roundabout in France, where "east" and "west" are spelled nearly the same, is to enter with no plan to exit on the first lap. Look at every exit on the first lap and decide which one looks right. Take that exit on the second lap.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #86,795 of 155,095
Care to elaborate? I'm curious about this one.
I drive through Belgium at times (mostly on the highway, which is typically busy with road works every 20km or so...), but I consider Belgians decent drivers. They don't seem to bother with speed limits, that's for sure, but apart from that they seem pretty ok to me.

If anything, I'd argue driving on the Dutch highway is way worse, as Dutch drivers are possibly the most self-centric you can find: you can come nice and quick on the left lane and they'll conveniently jump in front of you at the very last moment. It's like they don't teach the concept of "safety distance" (or "mirrors", for that matter) in their driving schools...

I know that an Italian complaining about how other people drive sounds hilarious, but I really (really!) try to stick to the book and be sensible.
Also, come on, you guys...we're not so terrible after all. Have you ever driven a car in Greece? :joy:
My take on Belgians is that they unpredictable. Motorways are not too bad, but cities like Brussels are IME horrible. And it's always bloody foggy.

Dec 30, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #86,796 of 155,095
I've done a lot of business in Italy, all technical Italians know a lot of English. The Italians criticized the strange English rules of pronunciation and grammar! I patiently explained that Italians, Poles, Germans, Spaniards, etc., usually with no formal education, had come to the US and been allowed to talk as they wished. Before that the British nobles spoke French, and allowed the uneducated masses to speak "English" as they wished. So English is a language of the peasantry. This did not move my Italian friends, they still told me our language was basically useless. Finally I told them, "The English rules for speaking are like Italian rules for driving." Then they nodded and understood.

Attachments

• Simple.jpg
    Simple.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #86,798 of 155,095
I have to say I don't get the US aversion to using the whole road. The key is to be able to see at all times and often using the whole road, in appropriate circumstances, is the best way to do that. On the Tail, there is a small matter of double yellows, that crimps that - at least in a legal sense. I saw few drivers positioning and the ability to read the road ahead seemed very limited. Maybe I was lucky, when I trained for my advanced driving exam, I had two police class 1 driving instructors in the car with me and I grew up where (Lancashire) certain things were ordained: lights are always on the outside of a bend; the solid line always breaks at the apex of the bed, etc., etc. I still use that stuff 50 years later, though not all pertain in the USA!!!
I did get my comeuppance one day many years ago: as teenagers we used to drive out on country lanes (often to pubs) and I had a van. One was high enough up to see across the tops of the drystone walls that lined the roads, and hence used all the road - one had a clear view of anything coming a long way off. Unitil One day in the middle of the road I met a Lotus Europa coming the other way. The saving in laxatives around that time was significant.

Ditto with overtaking on standard (not two lanes in the same direction) roads here. It's an aversion that is completely mystifying - especially in "perfect" conditions, for example I have passed a long line on Highway 54 which was straight as far as the eye could see. But no, we must sit in a nose to tail gaggle. And I'm not talking about reckless actions here, just standard overtaking. Passengers look as though one has committed the ultimate death defying act.
Odd!

Cheers
For 'experienced' motorcyclists, using the whole road is de rigueur when and where possible.
It of course as noted above, can lead to extreme sphincter exercising, but allowing for a 'mid course correction' should always be factored in as well. Especially while on 2 wheels…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #86,799 of 155,095
truck-129.jpg

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #86,800 of 155,095
If you can see a football field ahead go ahead and clip the apexes. Have a great time. In the NC twisties you often can't see what is round the corner.

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #86,803 of 155,095
Too bad it is "This item is not available for purchase".

Dec 30, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #86,804 of 155,095

Users who are viewing this thread

Back