Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #85,321 of 153,327
Don't even get me started on Monster Cables! In 2004 they decided to sue (along with pretty much everyone else using the word "monster") a non-profit in Colorado; Little Monsters, that introduced inner city kids in Denver to snow sports, amazing charity - no longer with us......

IMHO *anything* associated with Noel Lee is evil
They also tried to sue companies that sold certain RCA connectors as I recall. The owner of Blue Jeans cable had a wonderful response some years back.😜

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #85,322 of 153,327
General questions for all: what got you into (deep?) Schiit and do you have a favourite piece of theirs?

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #85,324 of 153,327
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #85,326 of 153,327
General questions for all: what got you into (deep?) Schiit and do you have a favourite piece of theirs?
The Coaster amp! You can use it as a coaster or populate it with components and it is a headphone amp.🤪 It is also round and a challenge to build into a cabinet.

Seriously I do like the Freya +.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #85,327 of 153,327
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #85,328 of 153,327
I’d have to say the Bifrost2.

I liked the sound so much eventually I got a Yggdrasil OG. But for most people BF2 is the right size, and cost. Plus it’s their only DAC with a remote and the easiest to upgrade (both hardware wise and firmware wise since it can be flashes with a microSD card), making it somewhat future proof? A knockout product in my books.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #85,329 of 153,327
[rant]
[/rant]
The Nissan Leaf I had (2012) was pretty minimal.
My latest car had leather/pleather/vinyl something seats. I got aftermarket custom covers for them, not crazy expensive.

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #85,330 of 153,327
The Yiggy OG, it made the single biggest improvement to my whole system. I could hear things in recoding that I never heard before.
^^^This. Having been through quite a few DACs, nothing better than OG Y in the same price range. To my ears, you may beat it at > 2x the price, but for this to matter the whole surrounding chain is itself not cheap/easy to assemble. OG Y is the DAC I've owned longest, and I'm still not ready to let it go. I still sometimes miss the speaker system I had in a previous house, OG Y > Hegel H360 > KEF Ref 1 + REL T/7i: gripping staging, detail, and dynamics that since then I've only been able to replicate (no thanks to otherwise lovely modern glass-concrete-metal architecture) with seriously room-corrected Linn-based systems.

Dec 2, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #85,331 of 153,327
Mani got be started, but Vali 2 and a modi2u really hooked me. Right now, I'm really excited about my new Freya+ and Aegir. They're knocking me out driving my Tekton lore minis. Not sure which is my fav, as I use them as a system. I'm sure my favorite in the future will be the next piece I purchase. Will likely be a bf2, or a second Aegir

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #85,332 of 153,327
Asgard 3 HP amp. bought it last year at the $199 price (3 months wait, and worth it IMO). drives my ~16 ohm planar HP's with plenty of authority. not sure Jot 2 would improve on this -- while Jot 2 has Nexus, it doesn't have the A3's Continuity output stage

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #85,333 of 153,327
Magni 2 uber and modi 2 uber started it all. In retrospect, it seems like I started a relationship with the old schiit peddler. The first one’s under a C-note, as they say…

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #85,334 of 153,327
I've been shopping around for an electric daily driver for close to half a decade now, but I'm always put off by the amount of tech they shove in your face. (Not that this would be limited to electric cars these days, of course…)
You might consider a used Fiat 500e. I had them for 6 years (on two leases). Very fun to drive, and I say that as someone who drove a stick shift Mini Cooper for 10 years. The infotainment system is low tech.
FIAT-500e-4922_11.jpg

This electric version of Fiat 500 was sold only in California and Oregon 2013-2018 by Fiat-Chrysler as a "compliance car" to meet the state's zero emissions standards for manufacturers, and they are only available used now. They were all leased when new (the monthly was very low), then put on the used market when they came off lease. There is a new electric model in Europe but it is not being imported.

It was a great car for me and my wife in San Francisco. Very responsive and fun to drive, instant strong torque for the hills and traffic, small size making it easy to find parking even in congested SF, and very stylish inside and out. The main downside is 2013 battery technology with 80 mile range. A good use case is short commutes and driving around town, then recharge overnight. It was fine for us and was our only car.

At the end of our 2nd lease we would have gone for another round but the model had been discontinued by then. We considered purchasing a used one but after 6 years we thought we might try something different. My wife chose the Chevy Bolt EV (yes, which is now getting recalled). It has much greater range and carrying capacity that makes it more practical, but it looks and feels like a generic car. No character and nowhere near as fun. American suburbia vs Italian passion.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #85,335 of 153,327

Without a doubt the Bifrost2. Astonishingly good DAC. Not cheap, but worth it. It was the DAC that showed me DACs really do make a difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back