Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #85,066 of 150,558

bling​

\ ˈbliŋ \
variants: or bling-bling \ ˈbliŋ-ˌbliŋ \

Definition of bling

: flashy jewelry worn especially as an indication of wealth or status
broadly : expensive and ostentatious possessions

“Bling.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bling.

Bling-bling (bling) has been defined since 2003 in the OED and 2006 at MW...

the connotation of bling is negative -- see the definition of ostentatious
characterized by vulgar or pretentious display; designed to impress or attract notice.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #85,067 of 150,558
Really, how can you decide whether it is bling (me showing off expensively to salve insecurities) or not from the outside?
Some of my amp builds are most likely bling but I want them to appeal to the eye as well as the ear. I am going all out on one for my son yet he will have it and hopefully be proud of it when I am long gone.
Now mind you I do go overboard sometimes and build things like cutting boards that some refuse to use as such but once again I am trying to create something that is pretty, and that might stay in a family for years. My time, my choices. :ksc75smile:

tray.jpg

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #85,068 of 150,558
I wrapped an old tube amp chassis in figured maple and made a matching Schiit-stacker to support several items of Schiit gear. My wife allows it in the living areas now. Barely. I had some scrap maple left over, I made some cable supports. Not for any sonic effect, but because it kept the interconnects pleasingly arranged. Again, my wife was pleased. If I paid myself an hourly rate these projects were stupidly expensive.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #85,069 of 150,558
Lack of bling: Saga S is back!

New product announcement tomorrow.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #85,071 of 150,558
I'm hoping for my tube Saga by Christmas! I ordered it in black to make it easier for you!
Saga+ are shipping now, and all backorders should be cleared shortly.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #85,072 of 150,558
3/5ths of My Work From Home crew. They sleep on the job alot, but they are free labor.

CatWorkers.jpg

Aside: Saw Chris Duarte in a small bar in New Hampshire....many years ago. He blew me away with his rendition of "Red House". Been a fan ever since.

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #85,073 of 150,558
I wrapped an old tube amp chassis in figured maple and made a matching Schiit-stacker to support several items of Schiit gear. My wife allows it in the living areas now. Barely. I had some scrap maple left over, I made some cable supports. Not for any sonic effect, but because it kept the interconnects pleasingly arranged. Again, my wife was pleased. If I paid myself an hourly rate these projects were stupidly expensive.
It is a hobby for me and some of my more elaborate amp cabinets can take 48 hours up. I am trying to get away from it to pursue other hobbies. :L3000:

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #85,074 of 150,558
I supervised drafters in one life, one of them was also a custom cabinet maker. He had had a lot of ups and downs in life but his woodworking skills were amazing. (Part of the problem may have been that he didn't put enough energy into his "day job.") On the side he built cabinets for some of the wealthiest people in the area. His own house was modest, in a neighborhood of probably $70,000 houses in, but he had outfitted it with about $100,000 worth of custom cabinets and moldings! That was bling!

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #85,076 of 150,558
The inevitable question is, keep the original Saga, buy a new Saga S or get the Saga+? I don't technically need a new preamp so are the new Sagas audibly better over the original? It will soon be 2 years since my last Schiit order and I want something new in the 9" form factor.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #85,077 of 150,558
Totally off topic (even more than usual), but am I the only one confused by seemingly every Black Friday and Cyber Monday ad I've run across having vacuum cleaners at the top of the list? Does anyone seriously buy their significant other a vacuum cleaner for Christmas? I can envision the look on my wife's face, and it wouldn't be one of appreciation. :laughing:
OK, I'll comment on this. The short answer is no; hell no.

BUT, if there was an expressed need and desire, then yes. A couple years ago, my daughter wanted me to help her find a new vacuum. After talking with her about it and determining what she wanted, she indicated that she couldn't afford it at that time. So I asked her if she would like me to buy it for her birthday, which was coming up. She said yes, so I bought it for her. And she was happy about it.

As for giving my wife a vacuum cleaner as a present: see short answer above. And let me add: in our house, I am the one who uses the vacuum. When we moved house some years back and my wife was cleaning out her office, I had to show her where the vacuum was and how to use it.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #85,078 of 150,558
Totally off topic (even more than usual), but am I the only one confused by seemingly every Black Friday and Cyber Monday ad I've run across having vacuum cleaners at the top of the list? Does anyone seriously buy their significant other a vacuum cleaner for Christmas? I can envision the look on my wife's face, and it wouldn't be one of appreciation. :laughing:
I am not sure Black Friday and Cyber Monday are about gifts so much as they are about BUYING!!!. I'm getting bombarded with ads for luthier supplies and big-box DIY stores. And our grocery chain is in the act as well.

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #85,079 of 150,558
It would be the only Microsoft product that doesn't suck. :smile_cat:
Brilliant!!

Bling is essentially about impressing others and one tries impress others in order to feed one's own insecurities.
I have no clue where you get your info but I have a feeling it's not where I as a scientist would seek out answers to my questions.
"IF" bling is about impressing others it's not to "feed" but to "remove" their insecurities.
You have a very bizarre look on life. Probably indoctrinated by your own self with assistance of the interwebz.
The only thing science ever stated as a certainty is that bling gives the subject a high satisfying dopamine rush which would be impossible if the brains are giving the opposite message of danger, which is the precursor to insecurity and takes another type of dopamine all together.
So my advice... Educate yourself before shouting a judgement based on a false premise.
It would make your life easier on the whole and your contributions here easier to swallow for us.
Just saying.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #85,080 of 150,558
The inevitable question is, keep the original Saga, buy a new Saga S or get the Saga+? I don't technically need a new preamp so are the new Sagas audibly better over the original? It will soon be 2 years since my last Schiit order and I want something new in the 9" form factor.
why not wait for Jason's new product announcement tomorrow. if might be something totally unexpected (i.e. not Folkvangr, Tyr, or Loki Max)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back