Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #82,396 of 150,780
Get green. Be different.

LEVMFCE20248_WB_B11_PE_001_5362-GNS.jpg

Does that make it “GREEN” power? Do you get a carbon tax credit with them? =)

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #82,397 of 150,780
Sep 27, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #82,398 of 150,780
I have 1/2 a case of Fuji Film packs for my working Poloroid 250 Land Camera. 😜

I'm a bit of a vintage camera collector. 😉

Don't ask me about all of my vintage lenses
I was very disappointed when Fuji stopped making the film packs for the Polaroid’s. I still have a few packs left myself. I was hoping that the Polaroid Project might start producing it, but they seem to be concentrating on the one step film instead. I do have a couple of SX-70’s, but the 250 is my favorite. That Zeiss finder!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #82,399 of 150,780
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #82,400 of 150,780
Tell this to Paul McGowan… 🙄

But here's the most important point about it all:
The ground hole goes UP, not down.
Sounds SO much better.

(Also, that's actually how it's specified in NECA 130-2010. As a former German, I can not help but cringe at this widespread ignorance of rules and recommendations in power socket installation! 🤣)

I just realized that PS Audio apparently hates their customers… People who buy PS Audio tend to be rather towards the objectivist end of the spectrum, and objectivists tend to be of the more anally retentive kind. So, let's say you buy a PS Audio Power Port and you want to install it to code, you'd have to install it with the ground hole up. But then you'd have to look at the writing on the socket being upside down. So you have to make a choice: Install it to code, or to have the text legible. But you can never have both. Poor objectivists!

I don't have any of Mr. McGowan's Power Ports, either.

Every single one of the outlets in our house is non-code compliant with respect to the orientation of installation. In order to not cause you any avoidable neurosis, you are not invited to visit.

One of my brothers is currently living in Germany. He and his wife often laugh at the German culture's love of regulations.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #82,401 of 150,780
You know they will. Some swear by different outlet covers. I don't think my system is at the level I would notice, yet. Easier tweak is to put a photograph of yourself in the freezer and then notice the change in the sound of your system.
Oh
my
GOD!

I remember those, too.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #82,402 of 150,780
Ooo, I have not tried the freezer-photo tweak. What is the supposed effect? And what if I put a photo of MY DOG in there too?!??
The freezer-photo tweak has no effect on the dog's hearing. However, the longer @Ableza leaves the two photos in the freezer, the less alike he and his dog will look. Kind of like reverse aging.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #82,403 of 150,780
Pfft. Why piddle around. Just Cryo your ears and be done with it. Geez Louise - come on, folks. Think outside the box. 😒

And come on. If the grounds were on the top of the outlet, we'd have to place all our gear upside down in our racks. That's just silly. 🙄
I tried cryo-freezing my ears. I was skeptical, so I started with only one ear as a test. Now I keep my ear in a box. I keep my thinking inside that box too, now.

Upside down gear is not silly in Australia. I've seen pictures.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #82,404 of 150,780
You trying to tell me I'm no longer hip?
s-l300.jpg
It's worse than that: you've been no longer hip, and now you're hip again.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #82,405 of 150,780
@Jason Stoddard, in the interest of vertical integration and full control over your business, please consider making an investment and buying FedEx. My order was originally forecast to be delivered to my today. I checked my tracking number and while it's no longer on your dock, it still hasn't left California. You guys met your modification schedule so I can't help but think you could improve performance over at FedEx.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #82,406 of 150,780
The freezer-photo tweak has no effect on the dog's hearing. However, the longer @Ableza leaves the two photos in the freezer, the less alike he and his dog will look. Kind of like reverse aging.
Is that a Dorian Grey reference? Or does it mean I'm aging my dog unnecessarily?

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #82,407 of 150,780
That I want to try. What's the best way to buy a dog?

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #82,408 of 150,780
Well, it looks my Schiit Lyr 3 took a dump. It had been a few days since I powered it on and it made an audible pop when I flipped the switch today. The tube is lighting up but there’s no sound. Only had it for about a month.

What’s also strange is now it seems like the power indicator light lingers on for quite a while after powering it off (15-20 seconds).

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #82,409 of 150,780
Running Vidar in mono mode into 4 ohms is akin to Vidar in stereo mode with 2 ohm loads, which puts extreme demands on an amplifier designed for efficiency into 8 ohm stereo loads, hence Vidar not rated for either of these load conditions.

Headphone amps can run drive a wider range of load impedances because the overall power output is much much lower (the higher impedance cans like 300 and 600 ohm units typically employ high efficiency 100~110dB/mW dynamic drivers).

More main filter capacitance means greater energy storage, lower PSU impedance, lower AC ripple. Presumably, each Tyr will have a 600VA transformer (1200VA for a stereo pair vs 600VA in a stereo Vidar). Twice the heatsink area would allow twice the standing bias dissipation of Vidar, so more finesse on low level signals than Vidar (think Aegir on steroids)
All that said, I run Vidars in mono mode into 4 ohm Magnepan LRS. In over a year I've only had one Vidar go into overheat protection one time.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #82,410 of 150,780
Cross-post from the Two Channel Clubhouse thread:

From the above I see some proposed numbers for Tyr:
- 200W into 8, and 400W into 4 ohms
- "only" 160,000 uF main filter capacitance...but also with the massive input choke.

Which I compare to Vidar published specs:
Stereo, 8 Ohms: 100W RMS per channel
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 400W RMS
And from the FAQs:
600VA transformer and 40,000uF of filter capacitance—20,000 for each channel

Can anyone comment on this comparison? Tyr 200W into 8 vs. Vidar in mono, 400W into 8? 160,000 uF main filter capacitance for Tyr vs. 40,000uF for Vidar? Tyr rated to 4 ohms and Vidar mono specifcally not? I'm running mono Vidars so I'm curious.
My guess the answer is, like Jason once said:
Buy some good books on amp designing, plenty of them around.

In other words, are you/they trying to draw conclusions on sound and performance from some random taken numbers in the spec sheet?
Aegir, and Tyr as I understand will be too, are "better than class A amps" where Vidar is more like a standard class A/B.
I started with Vidar in mono, now have Aegir in mono driving my Quads and will definitively go to Tyr in the near future.
Vidar is much more rough around the edges compared to Aegir. And believe me a full range electrostatic reveals it all, even if you don't like it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back