Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 12, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #81,887 of 151,047
Any tricks/tips for the cross-Atlantic hops?

They are still waffling on how much of the Factory Acceptance Tests we will get to do in person, but most everything is being built in Europe (the stuff in Mexico we don't plan on seeing, the stuff in China we can't, the stuff in India we don't plan on seeing).
It depends where you are flying to and FROM.

LHR is the world's worts airport (and yes, I saw the recommendation for it from @Ableza). If going to the UK and your destination is anywhere N of London, Manchester is good. Dublin is excellent. Other points in Europe, Madrid is a good gateway and Iberia are more than acceptable. Schipol is also a good gateway.

You can't go to Aus now, but I have always been disappointed with Quantas on long haul - even in the front. If you can get business class, Singapore and Cathay are both reported to be excellent. Don't go in the back on Cathay......

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #81,888 of 151,047
That part is out of my hands, the current president of the group will work that out and he was not present for this listening session, there were only ten of us there.
First I have to make sure the preamp is up to par, and acquire the turntable, the one I used is the same type and extremely close but it would leave me with an empty feeling to not have the Marantz.

I can only offer my input as far as the 6sn7 and Bosch listen, others will have more say so on previous tests. I suspect it will be more for current group members and those who have moved to other parts of the country who have helped in the past. The trouble with things like the 6sn7 equivalent testing is no matter what, people want to argue about the results, cause they like a specific tube and they may have paid dearly for it. :ksc75smile: I prefer to avoid that myself.
The Bosch setup is easier, we got as many components as we could and here are our thoughts on the setup. Want to try this yourself? Have at it. :beerchug:

We are just a small private group who on occasion gets a crazy idea about trying something out or doing some research for our own enjoyment.

One thing I do hope to do is give @bcowen some credit for his help with and vast knowledge of audio tubes. I just have to be sure and get his name right, I think it is Sir Cowen Esq. :ksc75smile: One should always give credit where credit is due. (besides I may be needing more tubes soon for a certain preamp.)
What? I helped? You must be thinking of someone else.

Wait....I didn't read far enough. I'll be looking for the PM with the tube requirements. :sweat_smile:

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #81,889 of 151,047
If you are going to use British titles, please study the correct etiquette :wink:

He would be Sir William (or Sir Bill, according to preference). He could be Sir William Cowen, but never, ever, Sir Cowen.
FTFY. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #81,890 of 151,047
What? I helped? You must be thinking of someone else.

Wait....I didn't read far enough. I'll be looking for the PM with the tube requirements. :sweat_smile:
It will be heading your way, trust me. :L3000: I should have the pre-amp early next week, other friends are stopping in to listen today. I have not touched McIntosh for years; there used to be a local audio shop that specialized in it here in town and I would help out on occasion.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #81,891 of 151,047
It depends where you are flying to and FROM.

LHR is the world's worts airport (and yes, I saw the recommendation for it from @Ableza). If going to the UK and your destination is anywhere N of London, Manchester is good. Dublin is excellent. Other points in Europe, Madrid is a good gateway and Iberia are more than acceptable. Schipol is also a good gateway.

You can't go to Aus now, but I have always been disappointed with Quantas on long haul - even in the front. If you can get business class, Singapore and Cathay are both reported to be excellent. Don't go in the back on Cathay......
:) My recommendation was based on ease of getting into and out of the airport. If I have business in England it is very convenient to enter through Heathrow as there are a high density of flights arriving from the States and a large variety of transportation services leaving the airport. I've never flown through Manchester.

I've also never flown through Madrid, so no help there. In fact I've never stepped foot in Spain. It is on our "must visit" list as my wife really wants to see Granada.

The last time I was in Europe I flew from Atlanta (hate that airport) to Amsterdam Schiphol then to Prague.

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #81,892 of 151,047
I was trying not to post his full name but apparently it is well known. :ksc75smile: I was also trying not to bring up the bar sinister in his coat of arms, that is another matter entirely.
Well crap. Guess my anonymity is shot to pieces. Does this mean I have to be nice now? My weekend is suddenly in tatters... :sob:

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #81,893 of 151,047
Well crap. Guess my anonymity is shot to pieces. Does this mean I have to be nice now? My weekend is suddenly in tatters... :sob:

I didn't know I was in the presence of royalty! I guess I should drive down, so I can reload your pipe, or help you up on your horse, during the fox hunts. Anything, so long as I don't have to partake of the local cuisine...! 😜

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #81,894 of 151,047
I didn't know I was in the presence of royalty! I guess I should drive down, so I can reload your pipe, or help you up on your horse, during the fox hunts. Anything, so long as I don't have to partake of the local cuisine...! 😜
LOL! That's a good example of using "damning with faint praise" in a sentence. :smile:

I'm pretty sure there are other good things to eat here besides BBQ. Nothing comes to mind right off, but I'll do some research before you get here. :smile:

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #81,896 of 151,047
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #81,897 of 151,047
I'm not going to ask how you know that, Sam, but how do you know that? :smile:
With or without grits or are they just for breakfast?

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #81,898 of 151,047
Nothing comes to mind right off, but I'll do some research before you get here. :smile:
You do have Hardee's, so there's that! :D

Sep 12, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #81,899 of 151,047

Users who are viewing this thread

Back