Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #81,827 of 150,581
Mjolnir 2 is still my favorite, even though it is discontinued. I thought a good amp sound can maintain the balance between "play" and "quality". No idea why separate Mjolnir into LYR and Jotunheim.
Probably harder to sell headphone amps that are as large as Mjolnir. The Ragnarok has the all in one thing going for it. I do still quite enjoy my Mjolnir 1 though, whether fed by my Gungnir Multibit or Ayre Codex. It does have the downside that you can't run unbalanced headphones on it, but for me, the only pair I don't have an XLR cable for are my Grados, and they sure don't need all the power of the Mjolnir.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #81,828 of 150,581
with all the talk of flavors of Yggy, and what is the fate of Gungnir, I really hope that some of these cards could operate as Gungnir upgrades as well. Though I have no idea if the connections/size are compatible/adaptable to that case size/motherboard.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #81,829 of 150,581
I have been running a Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir MB (A1) combo in my bedroom for the last 5 years which I love. I'm not planning on doing anymore upgrades to this setup but I did just get my Gungnir back from upgrading from USB 2 to Unison. I was waiting in the upgrade queue since March. It was expensive with the shipping both ways to and from Canada plus the exchange. Previously I had a Wyrd in between my computer which I'm feeding my digital music from and the DAC. The Mjolnir goes great with my Hifiman HE-500. While it's not as big a power hog as the HE-6, I feel that it does benefit from more power. The 8W I was getting once I switched to a custom balanced cable was much better than the 2W from the stock microphonic piece of crap single ended cable. I can only see myself feeling the need to upgrade to a Ragnarok 2 if I were to ever luck into an original HE-6. I have a newer secondary setup Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 downstairs in the living room for the odd time I'm listening to music down there instead.

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #81,831 of 150,581
Finally joining the Schiit fanclub... bought a Schiit Ragnarok 2 with around 2 ish months of use for ~$900 dollars cheaper than Australian retailer prices
Congrats! TWICE albums will sound awesome out of that. 🤟🏼😉

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #81,832 of 150,581
2021, Chapter 12
Get Schifty

What did we do?
  • All Yggdrasils were level-matched to 0.02dB before the test by a person who didn’t participate in the test with the reviewers (David Aldrich of Snake Oil cables)

While I am unlikely to be designing any double-blind tests any time soon, I am curious ... if it's not a proprietary secret ... what gear did David Aldrich insert into the signal path of the three Yggys that allowed each signal to be attenuated (I assume) to such a precise level? Or is that something that could be fine-tuned as an option in software for each of the output Roon zones? There's only one XLR cable running from the XLR switchbox into the Ragnarok, so that level-matching calibration has to be applied upstream of the switchbox.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #81,835 of 150,581
While I am unlikely to be designing any double-blind tests any time soon, I am curious ... if it's not a proprietary secret ... what gear did David Aldrich insert into the signal path of the three Yggys that allowed each signal to be attenuated (I assume) to such a precise level? Or is that something that could be fine-tuned as an option in software for each of the output Roon zones? There's only one XLR cable running from the XLR switchbox into the Ragnarok, so that level-matching calibration has to be applied upstream of the switchbox.
It isn't a secret. The switching box is shown in at least two articles and Jason talked about the box when writing about another listening test (the tube test, I think).
Anyway, the box is a Douk Audio MC103 Pro.

1lb.jpeg

The box can be seen in both of these articles:

https://audio-head.com/review-schiit-yggdrasil-og-vs-less-is-more-vs-more-is-less/
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/new-schiit-yggdrasil-blind-listening-comparison-r1045/

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #81,836 of 150,581
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #81,837 of 150,581
I have 2 of them for a couple of years and they work fine. Ordered mine off amazon and take up very little space.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Balanced-Converter-Selector/dp/B07R1XCNHG/ref=sr_1_2?crid=V2L8IML8Z7KX&dchild=1&keywords=little+bear+xlr+switch

If you prefer rack mount size that looks sexy-er and priced like it is:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SwitchWitch--pro-co-switch-witch?utm_source

Works equally well.
I use Kramer myself.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/250688-REG/Kramer_VS_4X_VS_4X_4x1_Balanced_Stereo.html

My price is considerably lower.

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #81,838 of 150,581
I miss a day on this thread, 100 posts and the introduction of Neapolitan Yggys!900.jpg
Way to go Jason, Mike and crew!
Oh crap! What happens if you listen to LIM while eating chocolate ice cream, but then have to switch to vanilla because you ate all the chocolate (I'm sure everyone already knows you'd never listen to a LIM while eating strawberry)? What about MIL and strawberry, or OG and vanilla?

The mind reels...

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #81,840 of 150,581
I've noticed that as well, I leave mine (OG's analog 2) powered on standby all the time except when I go away for vacations. I usually turn them on when I return and typically wouldn't get around time wise to listen for a day or two and they sound fine after that day or two. When I juggle gear for whatever reason a down time of a few hours seems to make no difference in the sound.
I can tell the difference between my amps when they are "cold" and after they've warmed up as well. I can believe thermal stability has an effect on the sound of the Yggdrasil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back