Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #81,691 of 149,274
Two things I'm seriously looking forward to learn over the upcoming weeks and months:
1) What the two TI-flavors of Yggy sound like, and how they compare to OG
2) Whether I will be able to drive a pair of Maggies with a Tyr (…or two. Is Tyr mono by default? Can't remember if they've already mentioned that in a stream.)

I'm itching to overhaul my living room setup a little. Problem is, though, that I'm absolutely not sure whether I should go with a Gumby or an Yggy. I was going to go for an Yggy, but now I'm suffering from a bit of option paralysis, to be honest, so I'm eagerly awaiting the double-blind shootouts that @Jason Stoddard was teasing a week or so ago.

As for the Maggies, I've been looking at a pair of .7 or 1.7 for a while, but I really wanna go with Schiit mono blocks of some sort. I've got two Aergirs that I'm super happy with, and I'm not worried about a lack of power since I don't need to fill a cathedral with sound, but I'm sure they won't be able to handle the 4ohm Maggies in a mono config (…which would make them look like a 2ohm load to the Aegirs in mono, plus Schiit only lists specs for 8ohm loads in mono to begin with). They get hot enough as it is with their current 8ohm load.
(Why not get some other amp for the Maggies? Because I don't want to. I'm a Schiithead, what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #81,692 of 149,274
Two things I'm seriously looking forward to learn over upcoming weeks and months:
2) Whether I will be able to drive a pair of Maggies with a Tyr (…or two. Is Tyr mono by default? Can't remember if they've already mentioned that in a stream.)

I'm itching to overhaul my living room setup a little. Problem is, though, that I'm absolutely not sure whether I should go with a Gumby or an Yggy. I was going to go for an Yggy, but now I'm suffering from a bit of option paralysis, to be honest, so I'm eagerly awaiting the double-blind shootouts that @Jason Stoddard was teasing a week or so ago.

As for the Maggies, I've been looking at a pair of .7 or 1.7 for a while, but I really wanna go with Schiit mono blocks of some sort. I've got two Aergirs that I'm super happy with, and I'm not worried about a lack of power since I don't need to fill a cathedral with sound, but I'm sure they won't be able to handle the 4ohm Maggies in a mono config (…which would make them look like a 2ohm load to the Aegirs in mono, plus Schiit only lists specs for 8ohm loads in mono to begin with). They get hot enough as it is with their current 8ohm load.
(Why not get some other amp for the Maggies? Because I don't want to. I'm a Schiithead, what can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Jason has said the Tyr will drive pretty much any speaker. It is a single channel amp. I would bet it's at least 200 watts into 8 probably more. The aegir is more refined sounding compared to the vidar, I have both. So I wouldn't go that direction. Also I heard Jason mumble on a video that Tyr is the best thing they have made.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #81,693 of 149,274
Jason has said the Tyr will drive pretty much any speaker. It is a single channel amp. I would bet it's at least 200 watts into 8 probably more. The aegir is more refined sounding compared to the vidar, I have both. So I wouldn't go that direction. Also I heard Jason mumble on a video that Tyr is the best thing they have made.
Yeah, nothing against Vidar, but that's pretty much why I haven't considered them as an option.
So, yeah. Let's hope that by "pretty much any speaker" they also mean super low impedance ones like Maggies, and not just "any speaker no matter how much power they need". If so, I'll be a VERY happy camper.

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #81,695 of 149,274
Two things I'm seriously looking forward to learn over upcoming weeks and months:

I'm running a pair of Apogee Duetta Sigs fed by a pair of Vidar's in mono mode. Schiit has no 4 ohm rating for mono, but I'm able to drive them to "get out of my house" volume levels.... Since you own a pair of Aegirs, no harm in trying them into the Maggies. The Maggies are presenting a 4 ohm impedance, regardless if amp is mono or not....

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #81,696 of 149,274
I'm running a pair of Apogee Duetta Sigs fed by a pair of Vidar's in mono mode. Schiit has no 4 ohm rating for mono, but I'm able to drive them to "get out of my house" volume levels.... Since you own a pair of Aegirs, no harm in trying them into the Maggies. The Maggies are presenting a 4 ohm impedance, regardless if amp is mono or not....
Yeah, looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on a pair of Maggies at some point later this year, see how they jive with the Aegirs, and if the Aegirs don't feel like driving 'em, I can still go for a pair of Tyrs. Not gonna lie, size-wise, while surely impressive looking, I'd rather have two Aegirs than two Tyrs sitting on my rack.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #81,697 of 149,274
I'd like jump on the bandwagon and say that Freya S, Aegir, and Zu Omen Dirty Weekends has really worked for me. Glad to learn that others are pleased with the combination as well.
Modi Multibit, Saga, Aegir and Zu Omen Dirty Weekends here. Very happy with the combo.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #81,699 of 149,274
Yeah, looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on a pair of Maggies at some point later this year, see how they jive with the Aegirs, and if the Aegirs don't feel like driving 'em, I can still go for a pair of Tyrs. Not gonna lie, size-wise, while surely impressive looking, I'd rather have two Aegirs than two Tyrs sitting on my rack.
I ran maggie LRS with two aegirs. Was certainly loud enough for me. Never tripped the protection even though the LRS dip below 3. The LRS are amazing but don't have the scale of bigger maggies, of course. Anyway I felt like the aegirs didn't really make the LRS swing but then again I do have an affinity for high power amps.

You don't have to put 'em in your rack. put 'em behind the speakers.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #81,700 of 149,274
Hafler and Advent. Now that's a classic pairing!

Totally! Fabulous sound for three decades together. I am hopeful the Zu speakers and the Freya S/Aegir will be as good (or better!!) for the next 30! :fingers_crossed:

Hafler and Acoustic Research were better...! 😁

But I do hope the Zu/Freya S/Aegir triple-threat will be to your liking! I look forward to your impressions. 😃

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #81,701 of 149,274
Aw man... There was a glitch in the Schiit matrix that put some pending charges on my credit card but didn't complete my order for Freya S and Vidar.

This is not a complaint.

Dawn at Schiit (orders@schiit.com) took care of the issue like a boss less than 90 minutes after I brought it to her attention. She said it was a tech anomaly that has happened before but I need to wait until the pending charges get removed before I reorder.

Hopefully there will be some Freya S left to order when I get in front of a computer again tomorrow night. :rolling_eyes:

Edit: @Jason Stoddard give Dawn a high-five for me if you get the chance.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #81,702 of 149,274
Yeah, nothing against Vidar, but that's pretty much why I haven't considered them as an option.
So, yeah. Let's hope that by "pretty much any speaker" they also mean super low impedance ones like Maggies, and not just "any speaker no matter how much power they need". If so, I'll be a VERY happy camper.

I'm very happy driving my Magnepan .7s with one Vidar. Two hundred watts into four ohms is more than adequate for my needs.

On a second system, A pair of Aegirs drive Harbeth 30.2s without any difficulty.

As always, YMMV

Sep 8, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #81,703 of 149,274
Anyone here have experience with Aegir, and the LRSs in a small to medium sized room?

Asking for my wife......😆
The LRSs would not be well matched with Aegir…too low efficiency. My experience running ls50 with Aegir was that simpler music like a jazz quartet or classical chamber music could sound excellent, anything larger scale would tax the Aegir (probably not enough head room) and sound bad. For optimal results with Aegir, look for efficiencies >90db.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #81,705 of 149,274
Aw man... There was a glitch in the Schiit matrix that put some pending charges on my credit card but didn't complete my order for Freya S and Vidar.

This is not a complaint.

Dawn at Schiit (orders@schiit.com) took care of the issue like a boss less than 90 minutes after I brought it to her attention. She said it was a tech anomaly that has happened before but I need to wait until the pending charges get removed before I reorder.

Hopefully there will be some Freya S left to order when I get in front of a computer again tomorrow night. :rolling_eyes:

Edit: @Jason Stoddard give Dawn a high-five for me if you get the chance.
I suspect that you could order right away as long as your credit card limit can stomach twice what you have to spend here, otherwise you could order again with a different credit card. Just a thought, though, so you don't miss out on Freya S or have to wait longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back