Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #81,677 of 150,848
Hey guys, just a quick note, as I am traveling:

Freya S is back!
(For a while at least.)

Yes, Freya S is back. This is a new run of Freya S, exactly like the old Freya S, at exactly the same price, so we can use up the Freya S top chassis we "discovered" before the new ERP system was in. So you can enjoy a new Freya S, in silver, for a while at least. I don't know if this will be a long while or short while, because that'll depend on how excited everyone is about Freya S. I also don't know if we'll continue making Freya S, or if we will ever offer it in black. Again, this is a run to use up top chassis we found. I hope that's exciting for you!

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s
Thank you, you made my day!!!
Now, it could have happened last year, when I was looking for a balanced preamp… still, given this chance, I’ll get Freya S anyway.
I wonder how will it compare to my ‘interim solution’ (I came across an old ML no. 28).

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #81,678 of 150,848
I went with one Aegir. My room is not too big and the Zu Omen are so sensitive that I should not need more than that for plenty of volume.
Yes with such high sensitivity speakers one can play loud! Nice set I imagine.
I think two are needed to drive my transducers. Would love to try but I think there are other options more friendly for my wallet at this side of the pond.
Directly from Schiit would mean about 2300 euro for a pair (1600€ + 300€ shipping + 370€ import duties)
Via Sonority in the Netherlands it would be 2000€. (Silver is finally in stock here in Europe)

Two alternatives I find interesting: PAS 2002PCA and Apollon Purifi 1ET400A mini.

As always tough decisions on the priority list, in random order: energy consumption/budget/size/power/connections[options].
Goodnews, I can wait until it is itching too much or one of my poweramps break.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #81,679 of 150,848
Yes with such high sensitivity speakers one can play loud! Nice set I imagine.
I think two are needed to drive my transducers. Would love to try but I think there are other options more friendly for my wallet at this side of the pond.
Directly from Schiit would mean about 2300 euro for a pair (1600€ + 300€ shipping + 370€ import duties)
Via Sonority in the Netherlands it would be 2000€. (Silver is finally in stock here in Europe)

Two alternatives I find interesting: PAS 2002PCA and Apollon Purifi 1ET400A mini.

As always tough decisions on the priority list, in random order: energy consumption/budget/size/power/connections[options].
Goodnews, I can wait until it is itching too much or one of my poweramps break.

I would be afraid to turn either of those amps higher than 1 on the volume setting with my loudspeakers! Lots of power on either one for sure. It makes the 20W of the Aegir look rather pathetic. To be fair though, I am replacing a 100W per channel amplifier, a 1991 vintage Hafler, with the Aegir since it does not pair that well with the Zu (it drove 1980s vintage Advent 2002 loudspeakers for more than 30 years, but they died on me a bit over a year ago.)

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #81,681 of 150,848
a standard and very inexpensive cd/dvd drive connected via SATA to the motherboard / CPU / etc works just fine for bit-perfect ripping of audio files (when a block is read with errors, it can be re-read multiple times) as there is no need for real-time ripping. other advantages of computer drives, such as efficient flow control, retry / re-read capability, etc... under the direction of the host CPU. plus computer drives can run at 4x to 24x so it won't take an hour or so per CD, but just a few minutes.
I have 1000s of CDs and in the process of ripping all but in no hurry. I recently purchased a used Emotiva ERC-1 for my work setup into a MODI giving me 3 options, Flac (and podcasts) from Phone via USB, Flac from Cowan Plenue MK II via Optical and CDs from the Emotiva via Coaxial, love having the flexibility. (i use a Shanling PCD300B CD player at home via Coax into BiFrost2)

As far as ripping hardware, I recently purchased a new desktop and since they don't always come with CD drives I purchased this enclosure and this internal SATA drive. Total cost 65.00 plus an existing dbPoweramp license and good to go.

For those of you with phones with USB-C out, this USB C to USB 3.0 OTG works great and this USB C OTG Adapter, 2 in 1 USB C to USB Female with 60W PD Charging Port Adapter works great if I need to charge the phone at the same time

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #81,682 of 150,848
Looks to me like they are clearing Aegir stock in the light of Tyr arrival very soon?

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #81,683 of 150,848
Looks to me like they are clearing Aegir stock in the light of Tyr arrival very soon?
That would be strange. A single Aegir for stereo vs. two Tyr, each twice as wide and about twice as expensive. So 4x the space and price (and gobs more power) - not really the same audience, I imagine.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #81,684 of 150,848
Interesting observation, @nilk narf . I'll be curious how Schiit decides to market upcoming transport-products. How will it fit into the Schiit ecosystem? Will they go with a modular approach (CD player + USB switch + [saga-like channel selection?] + [pitch-adjustment baked into a DSP soldered onto a daughter board] + Pi + ....)? Schiit's made it clear that they'll not get into the user interface (media player software); however, I'd put money on them teaming up with a 3rd party (a modified FOOBAR player or VLC player)?
I don't envy Schiit's strategic planners. Will they risk launching a new product that disrupts the market? I just hope they release new products to entice younger listeners into our cult (of Schiit Audio). :ksc75smile:

I would be very surprised if it was anything other than a CD transport + USB input and switch. I highly doubt you will be able to rip CDs with it. I really don't think it will be modular anything. It will not contain the gadget. It will not contain a Pi.

It will however, play CDs to the best of Schiit's ability to build, and still let you use your existing USB digital source with the vast majority of DAC that only have one USB input. That is its design brief and use case.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #81,685 of 150,848
I would be very surprised if it was anything other than a CD transport + USB input and switch. I highly doubt you will be able to rip CDs with it. I really don't think it will be modular anything. It will not contain the gadget. It will not contain a Pi.

It will however, play CDs to the best of Schiit's ability to build, and still let you use your existing USB digital source with the vast majority of DAC that only have one USB input. That is its design brief and use case.

I'm convinced.

Bill

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #81,686 of 150,848
I would be afraid to turn either of those amps higher than 1 on the volume setting with my loudspeakers! Lots of power on either one for sure. It makes the 20W of the Aegir look rather pathetic. To be fair though, I am replacing a 100W per channel amplifier, a 1991 vintage Hafler, with the Aegir since it does not pair that well with the Zu (it drove 1980s vintage Advent 2002 loudspeakers for more than 30 years, but they died on me a bit over a year ago.)

Hafler and Advent. Now that's a classic pairing!

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #81,688 of 150,848
For anyone on the fence considering a Freya S my experience having owned it for almost 2 years has been nothing less than superb. Dead quiet background and pleasing integration with 2 Vidars. I've tried one Vidar connected SE and of course with 2 I'm connected with balanced cables (Mogami). I love the active modes, both the sound signature and the way they match with my less efficient speaker setups. Maggie LRSs and KEF LS50 Meta - either pair sing well driven by this solid state combination.

I ordered the Freya S near the end of September 2019 and the Vidars a couple of days later since they were back-ordered even before the pandemic. I was able to play with the Freya S with may NAD 80wpc amp and compare it to my NAD 162 preamp. The Schiit pre worked well with the NAD power amp too.

Freya S - Highly recommended!
Cheers

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #81,689 of 150,848
I'd like jump on the bandwagon and say that Freya S, Aegir, and Zu Omen Dirty Weekends has really worked for me. Glad to learn that others are pleased with the combination as well.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #81,690 of 150,848
I'd like job on the bandwagon and say that Freya S, Aegir, and Zu Omen Dirty Weekends has really worked for me. Glad to learn that others are pleased with the combination as well.

That's great to hear! I have done a year's worth of research before plunking down the money, Schiit says my order ships today so with any luck and a friendly FedEx driver I might be able to listen to the new system this weekend! Can't wait to hear how it all works together. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back