Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 7, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #81,646 of 149,297
Let her twist the Loki knobs, two birds with one stone (yes, I realize that could mean something completely different an un-monogamous in the Isles).

Or is that going too far (similar to an American relinquishing the remote for the telly)?
Well this is a HT setup, so just an AppleTV, Oppo BR and Onkyo receiver. Simplicity with superb video and audio is the goal.

But just to amuse with how bad the room is:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 4.21.27 PM.png

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #81,651 of 149,297
Would I need Nexus if I’m not using SE? Sorry for the question if it’s obvious/easy. I’m not into the technical stuff and just buy Schiit because it sounds good.
If you're all balanced you can use passive or active nexus mode.

Either way the remote controlled relay stepped attenuator is more than worth it.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #81,652 of 149,297
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #81,653 of 149,297
I wish the Freya-S had worked for me. I’m not sure what the problem was but I was getting an unacceptable amount of noise in my rig. As opposed to my Bryston integrated amp (used as a preamp) which was dead quiet. Weird and disappointing. I really liked the look of Freya-S, the unique volume control, and the balanced in/outs.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #81,654 of 149,297
Sep 7, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #81,655 of 149,297
Would I need Nexus if I’m not using SE? Sorry for the question if it’s obvious/easy. I’m not into the technical stuff and just buy Schiit because it sounds good.
Is the Freya S identical the the Freya + Buffer stage?
In both variants, the passive mode does not convert single ended to balanced, but the active modes do. It's just that the active solid state buffer in the Freya + is implemented differently than what the Freya S has, while otherwise serving the same purpose. The implications of that are unclear. When I looked at the linearity measurements when both were first released, the Freya S seemed more linear in that mode. But during the thunderdome that Schiit did, Freya +'s JFET approach was preferred over Freya S, if I remember correctly.

If your question is whether you need the active gain stage vs. passive it also depends on cable lengths and what gear you have connected due to impedance differences, so you may find that you prefer one of the active modes over the passive even though you're running balanced.

In my case I have only tried short balanced runs from the Yggdrasil into the Freya S, then the Orchard Audio Starkrimson (formerly BOSC) mono blocks. Passive this setup sounded exceptionally clean, if unengaging. The active modes I liked less somehow. I have yet to try it with other gear, so this is far from a comprehensive review of the Freya S. Your results may very well be different.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #81,656 of 149,297
I wish the Freya-S had worked for me. I’m not sure what the problem was but I was getting an unacceptable amount of noise in my rig.
Got an used Freya S a while ago so, wired into a fairly complex and sensitive headphone setup. Everything is wired carefully, only balanced connections, decent power conditioner. Zero noise.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #81,658 of 149,297
Hey guys, just a quick note, as I am traveling:

Freya S is back!
(For a while at least.)

Yes, Freya S is back. This is a new run of Freya S, exactly like the old Freya S, at exactly the same price, so we can use up the Freya S top chassis we "discovered" before the new ERP system was in. So you can enjoy a new Freya S, in silver, for a while at least. I don't know if this will be a long while or short while, because that'll depend on how excited everyone is about Freya S. I also don't know if we'll continue making Freya S, or if we will ever offer it in black. Again, this is a run to use up top chassis we found. I hope that's exciting for you!

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

Aaannnd ordered! (Along with Aegir) Huzzah.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #81,660 of 149,297
In both variants, the passive mode does not convert single ended to balanced, but the active modes do. It's just that the active solid state buffer in the Freya + is implemented differently than what the Freya S has, while otherwise serving the same purpose. The implications of that are unclear. When I looked at the linearity measurements when both were first released, the Freya S seemed more linear in that mode. But during the thunderdome that Schiit did, Freya +'s JFET approach was preferred over Freya S, if I remember correctly.

If your question is whether you need the active gain stage vs. passive it also depends on cable lengths and what gear you have connected due to impedance differences, so you may find that you prefer one of the active modes over the passive even though you're running balanced.

In my case I have only tried short balanced runs from the Yggdrasil into the Freya S, then the Orchard Audio Starkrimson (formerly BOSC) mono blocks. Passive this setup sounded exceptionally clean, if unengaging. The active modes I liked less somehow. I have yet to try it with other gear, so this is far from a comprehensive review of the Freya S. Your results may very well be different.
Thanks for your thorough answer. I already have a Freya+ and really enjoy the Buffer so I was considering “downgrading” and getting the S just because I thought it’s Nexus could be an improvement over the +’s buffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back