Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #81,347 of 150,726
I don't do moguls or big jumps. Got hurt a few years back coming off a jump and failing to stick the landing. Woke up 3 days later in the regional medical center to a big What moment. And a severe TBI. Helmet saved my life. That was in March at the end of the season. I was back out the next season on opening day.
With that attitude you must have played rugby before learning to ski.

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #81,348 of 150,726
Don Quixote was a favorite of one of my uncles. I tried, and failed, to enjoy it.
Gravity's Rainbow was impenetrable for me. Too bad.
I really enjoyed The Name of the Rose, both the novel and the movie.

Harlot's Ghost by Norman Mailer is another long read I enjoyed. But I haven't reread it, it may be a story to read just once.
Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner was a favorite, not-so-long-read of my mother. I enjoyed that one.
Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up has become a very long read. But it is also enjoyable. Does that get us back on the Sine Wave?
Gravity's Rainbow is an opening sentence followed by 759 pages of metaphors. :ksc75smile: You might not want to take on Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. A book I really enjoyed was A Gentleman in Moscow, it is well worth the read. My reading has slowed down some, I now struggle to get through three or four books a week.

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #81,349 of 150,726
LOL! Actually, I have no memory of the day of the accident or the 3 days after until I woke up in the hospital. No memories of the bad day means no qualms about going back out on the slopes. B has pictures, so I know what happened.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #81,350 of 150,726
Pot....Kettle

Now I just buy tubes that Sir Cowen Esq. might buy. Maybe not the same brands, or the same tube numbers but they are similar, sort of, I guess. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #81,351 of 150,726
My daughter played rugby as a club sport, I believe one or two of the girls had ear protectors, otherwise it is like football without the pads. plenty of injuries.

The biggest thing I remember is it can take 15 pounds of pressure or less to rip off a human ear. Enough to worry a father anyway. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #81,352 of 150,726
RE: Cable direction -

It doesn't make sense in a long product to talk direction, it is rolled and stretched in the long direction, there is no cross rolling. Rolled direction is important in plate - heavy plate has a lot of material properties in the edge cases when you are talking the % reduction per pass, pass direction, interpass temperature, etc - but long products are rolled in one direction - the long one.

Maybe I am being too literal.
In my uninformed imagination, you basically melt (smelt, apparently) raw copper and then pull/squeeze it out through a hole somehow. Imagine pulling a fuzzy wet rope through a hole you form with your fingers - the fuzzy bits will mostly point in the opposite direction of the rope's movement. So if you look at the rope from the front it's much smoother, i.e. the surface area is much lower than if you look at it from the back. Back to the wire, this would mean the wire is less able to pick up radio waves in one direction than the other. So I suppose you want the end of the wire that came out first to be connected to the source device (say, a DAC) and the other side to the target device (say, an integrated amp) so that the direction more susceptible to noise is towards the source end, just like you would connect a shield on that side only, and so the noise gets drained to ground.

Now that's just my vivid imagination trying to make sense of astounding claims by one Garth Powell, I have not progressed past the point of ignorance, skepticism and confusion.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #81,353 of 150,726
Not only have I just discovered that one of the somewhat fancier SE interconnects that I am using is labeled with a little arrow as being directional, but also that I've been using it the wrong way around these past two days. Maybe that's why this Bifrost/Valhalla-combo sounds better than the sum of its parts! 😁

Let's go nuts and not only leave it in the wrong direction, but also switch the red ends into the white sockets, and vice versa.
(Both ends, of course. Come on, man! I'm not a monster.)

⚔️ Death to the establishment! ⚔️
There is a school of thought that the grounding on a shielded RCA cable should be "directional". So I recently made up some cables, and used two core sheilded cable. At the source end, I joined the sheild and the "ground" together and tied them to the body of the RCA. The "hot" wire ran centre to centre.. At the sink end, the shield was lifted (not connected).... Does it sound any better/different? Nope. Worse? Can't tell. I fully expect that if I turn them around, it will be the same. It was a fun project, and my cables now look tidier and match each other :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #81,354 of 150,726
Gravity's Rainbow is an opening sentence followed by 759 pages of metaphors. :ksc75smile: You might not want to take on Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. A book I really enjoyed was A Gentleman in Moscow, it is well worth the read. My reading has slowed down some, I now struggle to get through three or four books a week.
I'm a big James Joyce fan... but I read those novels over the years, they mean something different. POPPYSEEDCAKE for all

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #81,355 of 150,726
A Suitable Boy and A Fine Balance are longer novels that I still think about. The characters became so familiar i remember them like people.

On another tangent, On the Road and Catcher in the Rye are others I still reflect upon. Every time I attend union meetings Animal Farm is all I can think about.

Is literature on the tangent?

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #81,356 of 150,726
There is a school of thought that the grounding on a shielded RCA cable should be "directional". So I recently made up some cables, and used two core sheilded cable. At the source end, I joined the sheild and the "ground" together and tied them to the body of the RCA. The "hot" wire ran centre to centre.. At the sink end, the shiled was lifted (not connected).... Does it sound any better/different? Nope. Worse? Can't tell. I fully expect that if I turn them around, it will be the same. It was a fun project, and my cables now look tidier and match each other :sunglasses:
You have to understand the purpose of shielding a cable. What you do not want to do as add a shield to both ends in that construction since you will have a ground loop, and in effect an antenna. I tend to use shielded twisted pair but I have a lot of electronics going on. :ksc75smile:

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #81,357 of 150,726
My daughter played rugby as a club sport, I believe one or two of the girls had ear protectors, otherwise it is like football without the pads. plenty of injuries.

The biggest thing I remember is it can take 15 pounds of pressure or less to rip off a human ear. Enough to worry a father anyway. :ksc75smile:
I played rugby for 35 years... 22 of it as a prop... a lot more than 15 pounds of pressure in a scrum.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #81,358 of 150,726
My father-in-law is proof that there is no age limit for skiing. He is 87, still very much an active skier and keeps up with B (wife) and me. B will stop, I'm there 5 seconds later, Dad is another 5 seconds behind me. He gives me something to work towards.

I'm an East coast skier - thin layer of packed powder over ice. Corn snow, chicken heads and death cookies. Fast grass. The occasional rock visible early in the season.
That beautiful, freshly groomed corduroy that you think is going to be an epic run? Yeah, it froze up after they groomed it. So you're skiing a washboard. Through all this I'm cruising in the mid 30's, my personal top speed was 56MPH. B usually skis about 10MPH faster than I do. We ski mid week when the local resort is nearly empty so that I don't risk hurting anyone other than myself. It would be irresponsible to ski (or try to ski) that fast on a weekend - too many people to do it safely. Plus there's no lift line mid week. Bonus!

I don't do moguls or big jumps. Got hurt a few years back coming off a jump and failing to stick the landing. Woke up 3 days later in the regional medical center to a big What moment. And a severe TBI. Helmet saved my life. That was in March at the end of the season. I was back out the next season on opening day.
Lots of ice here in the east. Yep, those edges would chatter over those potato chip rippled, groomed slopes. That's why I took every chance to get out to the Rockies and pray for powder.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #81,359 of 150,726
I played rugby for 35 years... 22 of it as a prop... a lot more than 15 pounds of pressure in a scrum.
Very true. I suspect you had your fair share of injuries.

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #81,360 of 150,726
I just added a Jotunheim 2 to my very Schiity system. I'm not convinced I have things hooked up optimally (though it all sounds good to me)....

I have Sol/Magni and Modius going to a Freya S, which goes balanced to Jot 2, which goes balanced to two Vidars, single ended to a sub, and balanced to headphones. I have the volume all the way up on the Jot and use the Freya to adjust volume. When using headphones I flip the preamp out switch on Jot to off. When using speakers I unplug the headphones and flip the preamp switch to on.

I'm not thrilled about having Jot in the loudspeaker chain, don't like having to plug/unplug the headphones when changing listening modes, and would prefer to use Jot volume for headphones and Freya volume for speakers. Any suggestions to improve this? When will Schiit offer a SYS+ that has balanced and single-ended connections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back