Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 30, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #81,212 of 151,050
Is this serious?
Finally there will come an end to the cable discussion according to the latest news.
On The Dutch Audio Show in Veldhoven, The Netherlands, on October 30th and 31st, Townshend will demonstrate it's brand new cable test machine.
It will test it's own Isolda cables versus .......
The article (from 2019) is in Dutch, but feel free to use Google translate to read it in your own language. Article
In short: It's the world first cable measurement machine that can measure distortion in cables.
Null Tester were on earth at least decades ago ...

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #81,213 of 151,050
So... an oscilloscope and multimeter? What about the distortion in the cable internal to the unit?😂
as in all testing, the baseline created by the equipment and test setup must be known and removed from the results. If everything else is the same in two tests, the baseline cancels out and differences are due to whatever is being tested.

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #81,214 of 151,050
So... an oscilloscope and multimeter? What about the distortion in the cable internal to the unit?😂

And so on and so on. :deadhorse:
Internal wiring is certainly a factor. As far as setting up equipment that shows your cable is wonderful and others have distortion, I am always leery of such a test being self serving but that is just me. The most a cable can do is give you a faithful reproduction of a signal received and the signal out. If someone says the cable makes the signal "better" I just shake my head and wonder. (part of a John Prine lyric.) :ksc75smile:

I did not translate the article so I am not referring to it per se.

Aug 30, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #81,215 of 151,050
as in all testing, the baseline created by the equipment and test setup must be known and removed from the results. If everything else is the same in two tests, the baseline cancels out and differences are due to whatever is being tested.
Correct, but how can distortion in a cable be presented? I suppose it can not.
I can imagine they can present resistance, inductance, capacitance differences between 2 cables, but distortion?
It looks to me like another BS story to lure visitors to the stand.

In that context Townsend once had a "meter" on it's stand on that same show years ago, that showed how well their seismic stands/platforms/corners/podiums worked. So they have a thing about meters/displays that don't display anything useful and to present is as useful/reliable tool.

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #81,216 of 151,050
Correct, but how can distortion in a cable be presented? I suppose it can not.
I can imagine they can present resistance, inductance, capacitance differences between 2 cables, but distortion?
It looks to me like another BS story to lure visitors to the stand.

In that context Townsend once had a "meter" on it's stand on that same show years ago, that showed how well their seismic stands/platforms/corners/podiums worked. So they have a thing about meters/displays that don't display anything useful and to present is as useful/reliable tool.
It's BS, that is correct. However one can view harmonic distortion or phase shift due to impedance using an O-scope, you just have to know how to look at it.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #81,217 of 151,050
I’ve been using Kimber Kables for over 20 years because they consistently beat most lower cost cables in detail. Other cables always had a somewhat muffled quality to them in comparison.

When I read former Belden engineer Galen Gareis‘ papers on how cables affect the music signal I was curious enough to try his relatively inexpensive BAV rca cables. The budget version of his premium Iconoclast cables.
Compared to the Kimber PBJ I had been using for years the BAV cables sounded more dynamic, punchy, as well more transparent. I also compared them to Blue Jeans LC-1 cables which are cheap and well made but still have that muffled quality. Blue Jeans is a great company to work with and they have a solid return policy. I liked the BAV cables so much I replaced all of my rca cables with them.

I’m still using Kimber 4TC for speaker cables. I’d love to try Iconoclast speaker cables but their cost is a bit more than I can justify.

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #81,218 of 151,050
IMG_3172.jpeg

Since my Mjolnir and Gumby (my usual desk setup) are on their way to Valencia for some TLC, I have pulled the trigger on a new toy to keep my ears busy while in the office.

This Valhalla is my first-ever OTL. So apart from the usual reviewers' palaver, I had absolutely no idea what to expect.

First impressions after the first 30 minutes of listening:
- Huh.
- Interesting.
- Hmm… :thinking:
- It won't be going back.

I own a pair of AKG K712's. I can't stand them for more reasons than I care to list here. But most of all, they sound like ass. And not just any old ass, but the ass that you get on a steady diet of Taco Bell with industrial-strength laxatives for desert. Driven by this Valhalla, for the first time ever, they actually sound borderline acceptable.
As it turns out, you CAN polish a turd: with Schiit.
If that's not some weird kind of voodoo, I don't know what is.

Also:
What inconsistencies in metal?! I don't see it… 😈🤪😇
But all kidding aside: The finish of this Valhalla is outright gorgeous. Essentially the same as Gungnir and Mjolnir. And since this type of coarsely brushed alumin(i)um and this wrap-around, U-style of chassis seems to be on its way out, I'm enjoying this even more while it lasts.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #81,219 of 151,050
IMG_3172.jpeg
Since my Mjolnir and Gumby (my usual desk setup) are on their way to Valencia for some TLC, I have pulled the trigger on a new toy to keep my ears busy while in the office.

This Valhalla is my first-ever OTL. So apart from the usual reviewers' palaver, I had absolute no idea what to expect.

- Huh.
- Interesting.

I own a pair of AKG K712's. I can't stand them for more reasons than I care to list here. But most of all, they sound like ass. And not just any old ass, but the ass that you get on a steady diet of Taco Bell with industrial-strength laxatives for desert. Driven by this Valhalla, for the first time ever, they actually sound borderline acceptable.

Also:
But all kidding aside: The finish of this Valhalla is outright gorgeous. Essentially the same as Gungnir and Mjolnir. And since this type of coarsely brushed alumin(i)um and this wrap-around, U-style of chassis seems to be on its way out, I'm enjoying this even more while it lasts.
Congrats. That will come in handy during winter!

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #81,220 of 151,050
IMG_3172.jpeg

This Valhalla is my first-ever OTL. So apart from the usual reviewers' palaver, I had absolute no idea what to expect.

- Huh.
- Interesting.

Also:
The Valhalla is a great amp. I still have my original Valhalla and I love it with my HD 650.

Aug 30, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #81,221 of 151,050
using AKG K701, K702, K7xx being medium impedance (~62 ohms IIRC) dynamic cans with an OTL tube amp like valhalla with a higher output impedance will provide a bass "boost" of a few dB at the driver's resonance (typ 80-200 Hz) and help fill in the rolled-off bass. One can simulate the OTL impedance by making a short headphone extension cable and including series resistors (e.g any value between 15 and 75 ohms) on each hot (+) lead. higher values with provide more "boost" at driver resonance.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #81,222 of 151,050
I have never changed a tube on my Valhalla 2. I would not know what is available let alone possible.

Let us know when you have your wallet out. We're here to help. :laughing::sweat_smile:

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #81,223 of 151,050
Let us know when you have your wallet out. We're here to help. :laughing::sweat_smile:
Isn't that like asking ORT to risk crossing 110th St to visit the Pusherman?

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #81,224 of 151,050
Is this serious?
Finally there will come an end to the cable discussion according to the latest news.
On The Dutch Audio Show in Veldhoven, The Netherlands, on October 30th and 31st, Townshend will demonstrate it's brand new cable test machine.
It will test it's own Isolda cables versus .......
The article (from 2019) is in Dutch, but feel free to use Google translate to read it in your own language. Article
In short: It's the world first cable measurement machine that can measure distortion in cables.
Hooey. I already have a much cheaper way to measure cables. :laughing:

1630365504573.png

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #81,225 of 151,050
Having been in the hobby for over fifty years, I have a large collection of cables. I can honestly say that I don't have a clue who made them.

Of course, at my age I have difficulty remembering what I ate for breakfast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back