Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #80,086 of 150,893
And as long as we (I am) are posting about small rear drive cars, roadsters, what have you

I don't have a pic, but a neighbor has a *running* Fiat X1/9

Well, I've seen it drive around the neighborhood once

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #80,087 of 150,893
I am utterly surprised this word is used over and over again and nobody is complaining.

So a bit of DSP and use of an expander or other trick is now better dynamic range and sounds "better"?
The world has become a place where we are not trying to solve a problem, but sell the problematic stuff as much as we can and add an extra (more expensive) product that is sold to us at the product that solves the problem. It has to be more expensive or it cannot solve the problem, right?
There is no drive to solve the initial problem because that would kill off way too much sales revenue, although technically spoken it is quite easy to do.
And we, the commercial slaves, just follow and even post video's praising the new "solution". What have we become?
I share your cynicism. And general feeling of despair. :)

Jul 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #80,088 of 150,893
There is no drive to solve the initial problem because that would kill off way too much sales revenue, although technically spoken it is quite easy to do.
The "initial problem" is a feature, not a bug: make popular music sound energetic on junky earbuds. Selling DSP to "undo" the feature is a profitable way to make a bit more from the original compressed tracks. Those of us who don't listen to compressed popular music don't care :beyersmile:

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #80,089 of 150,893
And as long as we (I am) are posting about small rear drive cars, roadsters, what have you

I don't have a pic, but a neighbor has a *running* Fiat X1/9

Well, I've seen it drive around the neighborhood once

So long as ... here's me in my last. One of the first on the East coast (VIN < 1200), comp suspension, brakes, intake, headers and other mods.

Just up the hill from Ragged Point on the PCH, after a 2 week NY to CA caving trip (Luray, Ruby Falls, Mammoth, Carlsbad, other stuff...)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1627569406906.jpg
    FB_IMG_1627569406906.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #80,090 of 150,893
The "initial problem" is a feature, not a bug: make popular music sound energetic on junky earbuds. Selling DSP to "undo" the feature is a profitable way to make a bit more from the original compressed tracks. Those of us who don't listen to compressed popular music don't care :beyersmile:
Exactly. I don't see the issue. Youngster are completely ok to listen to mono. Let people listen to what they prefer. What is right for one is wrong for the other. Some believe the earth is flat which is fine with me as long they let me believe it is round. I still have the dream that the audio file printed in studios (>90% 24bit 48kHz) can be played like that everywhere and if people want to dsp that, why not.

Jul 29, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #80,091 of 150,893
So a bit of DSP and use of an expander or other trick is now better dynamic range and sounds "better"?
What I take away from that video is not that we need DSP or other tricks, only that the tracks did sound better (to me at least, ymmv and all that of course) when they didn’t compress them as much, and it’s great that they don’t do that in those new mixes.

It was also mentioned that when making the new mix they wouldn’t take the already destroyed compressed mix and apply more DSP to it (expanders and stuff), but instead use the original stems (being the original recordings of each instrument and singer on their own separate track without any compression or other stuff) and go from there.

Given that, I don’t think Atmos is needed to have the new mix sound better than the old compressed one, and, given the choice, I’ll go for the Atmos one. At least until an uncompressed remix without Atmos/other DSP is available.
:L3000:

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #80,092 of 150,893

Did you watch the video?

There is no expander. Dolby Atmos has specific headroom requirements that the original mixes don't match because they're compressed within an inch of their dynamic life. In order to match the Dolby Atmos specs, those songs had to be remixed and remastered with more headroom. Hence more dynamics / higher crest factor. The difference is very much audible and the point of the video is not that we should all hail the new Dolby Atmos king, but rather that music mastered with higher dynamic range sounds better and hopefully more people will realize it now that they have the two versions to compare.

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #80,094 of 150,893
And they should leave these "features" out.
Any individual person can add "features" to the music on his phone, tablet, car stereo or home audio system as they desire, but please don't force it upon on everyone without the ability to turn it off. Not only popular music is compressed nowadays.

Jul 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #80,095 of 150,893
I assume you're waiting on a Black Jotunheim 2. I ordered mine back on 5/4 and am not the most patient person when it comes to new toys :)

I asked customer service the other day if black was still going to be more than a few weeks out, if they could just switch me to Silver and ship it out since it shows in stock. They mentioned that black casings were arriving this week or next, so I opted to keep my order. Who knows how long it takes to build up all the Jot 2s they have on backorder, but assuming they get the cases this week or next, I would think within a couple more weeks they'd begin shipping out! Good luck :)
I ordered my black Jot 2 back in April so I'm ahead of you in line :)

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #80,096 of 150,893
My Yggy GS arrived today! I’ve read a number of comments saying it needs a long time to break in. To me it sounds fantastic right out of the box. Music just sounds more relaxed. Detail is excellent and over all scale sounds more natural. My Modi MB sounded good but a little weird at first. It took a couple of weeks to settle down but it really impressed me with just how musical it sounded. So far I’m quite happy with Yggy GS. (I would hope so for the money!)

Jul 29, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #80,097 of 150,893
My Yggy GS arrived today! I’ve read a number of comments saying it needs a long time to break in. To me it sounds fantastic right out of the box. Music just sounds more relaxed. Detail is excellent and over all scale sounds more natural. My Modi MB sounded good but a little weird at first. It took a couple of weeks to settle down but it really impressed me with just how musical it sounded. So far I’m quite happy with Yggy GS. (I would hope so for the money!)

It is well documented that because Yggy GS uses recycled boards it only requires 13% warm up time of a new Yggy. :wink:

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #80,099 of 150,893
I finally got the go ahead from the boss to get a Sol about 2 months ago. Unfortunately they were out of stock. Spent the last 2 months checking the website DAILY hoping to catch one. Now the Sol product page is gone. Its a real bummer for me. Anyone got one sitting in a box they dont want? Maybe Jason has a floor model he wants to divest to me? Anyone want to help my vinyl dreams come true?

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #80,100 of 150,893
I finally got the go ahead from the boss to get a Sol about 2 months ago. Unfortunately they were out of stock. Spent the last 2 months checking the website DAILY hoping to catch one. Now the Sol product page is gone. Its a real bummer for me. Anyone got one sitting in a box they dont want? Maybe Jason has a floor model he wants to divest to me? Anyone want to help my vinyl dreams come true?
I was right there with you. Once Jason said its pretty much not coming back, I picked up a Pro-ject RPM. Not the same bang for buck, but its decent and upgradable in a few ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back