Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 25, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #78,736 of 150,920
Thinking of getting a pair of Texton Lore Reference or Lore Mini speakers. Along with an Aegir to run them. Zu Omen DW might be better but not sure if they’re worth the extra bucks.

This is for my living room in a 2 bedroom condo so I don’t have a huge space.

I've had an Aegir for a few months now, and I absolutely love they way it makes my music sound. I have a pair of Dirty Weekends on order that should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Based on how my ELAC UB5s sound, I can't wait to hear what it will sound like paired with the ZU speakers. Tektons are probably a good match for the amp too.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #78,737 of 150,920
Jun 25, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #78,738 of 150,920
@EricDH 10.000 posts back in this thread I mentioned that I had the opportunity to listen to the Class D Purify Eigentakt amp, but back then Covid-19 was the spoiler.
Designed by the father of Class D amps, Belgium inventor and former Philips NatLab employee, Bruno Putzeys.

Today I had the opportunity to listen in my own environment on my own Schitt (Yggdrasil A2 Unison™, Freya-S) and Quad ESL Plus to this amp and I was impressed.
No digital glare or rough edges to be determined anywhere. I can say it is 90% up to the Aegir.
Where it lacks (just a bit) is in wideness of the sound stage, instrument placement, attack (drums and the like) and something sounded a bit off in the bass. Can't really describe what that was with bass. It was like I missed some ground tones in piano and bass was less controlled (in lack of other words).

But all in all it was very positive and not at all what I expected. Much better than expected.
When you look at the price it is a steal. € 800,00 for the stereo evaluation board set

purifi-eval1-amplifier-stereo-set.jpg

€ 220,00 for the (switched) power supply

hypex-smps1200a400-2-x-64-vdc-1200-watt-switch-mod.jpg

and € 20,00 for a casing on Ali.

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-24 195208.jpg

All cables are included, so it is complete plug and play for roughly € 1.000,00

cable.jpg

Schiit Aegir mono blocks still outperforms it, but not by length. Class D has come a long way IMHO.
Now I'm even more anxious to hear Tyr when it becomes available.

Lovely day of listening to music and evaluating this amp.
How much power does it put out?

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #78,739 of 150,920
Finally got my hands on some of that MakerBeam...made a little structure to hold a Loki Mini and a SYS, plus an RPi display mounted on top.

20210625_185230.jpg

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #78,742 of 150,920
Re: 6SN7, I have about 10 Psvane's in a variety of issues (6SN7-UK, TII,, Treasure Globe, etc.,) and 2 matched pair of the Linlai E-6SN7 all purchased new since LYR 3 was released and Incvbvi acquired.
I’m curious about the new Linlai offerings. How would you say their E-6SN7 sounds in comparison to the Psvane CV181-TII?

Jun 26, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #78,743 of 150,920
Jun 26, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #78,744 of 150,920
I’m curious about the new Linlai offerings. How would you say their E-6SN7 sounds in comparison to the Psvane CV181-TII?
I find the Linlai to provide a slightly richer sound overall especially in the mids and maybe a little softer overall delivery but its a close call. And I hear the Linlai as a tiny bit quieter. I think Linlai calls for 100+ hours of play time to really settle down and I've got no where near that many hours on them at this point, and 2 of the four haven't been plugged in yet except to insure they were operational when I received them. I've got a lot of hours over the years on my Psvane CV181-TII. Plus the last few weeks I've been spending time with some solid state gear and summer is not usually peak listening season for me. One other thing to keep in mind, not all amps will reveal differences to the same degree when comparing tubes. I always use one or the other of my all tube (well except for the power supply) Incvbvs's as the final decision maker for myself. I find it a little easier to hear the contribution of the 6SN7 as a driver tube combined with a 5998 power output tube type as opposed to a hybrid. But that's just me.

Will the Linlai make a significant change in your listening life. I don't think so, LOL. But it's always fun and sometimes illuminating to try and compare some things as a part of the hobby. At least it is for me.

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #78,745 of 150,920
I've had an Aegir for a few months now, and I absolutely love they way it makes my music sound. I have a pair of Dirty Weekends on order that should arrive in the next couple of weeks. Based on how my ELAC UB5s sound, I can't wait to hear what it will sound like paired with the ZU speakers. Tektons are probably a good match for the amp too.

+1 for the Aegir/Dirty Weekend combo. It sounds fantastic!

Jun 26, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #78,746 of 150,920
I find the Linlai to provide a slightly richer sound overall especially in the mids and maybe a little softer overall delivery but its a close call. And I hear the Linlai as a tiny bit quieter. I think Linlai calls for 100+ hours of play time to really settle down and I've got no where near that many hours on them at this point, and 2 of the four haven't been plugged in yet except to insure they were operational when I received them. I've got a lot of hours over the years on my Psvane CV181-TII. Plus the last few weeks I've been spending time with some solid state gear and summer is not usually peak listening season for me. One other thing to keep in mind, not all amps will reveal differences to the same degree when comparing tubes. I always use one or the other of my all tube (well except for the power supply) Incvbvs's as the final decision maker for myself. I find it a little easier to hear the contribution of the 6SN7 as a driver tube combined with a 5998 power output tube type as opposed to a hybrid. But that's just me.

Will the Linlai make a significant change in your listening life. I don't think so, LOL. But it's always fun and sometimes illuminating to try and compare some things as a part of the hobby. At least it is for me.

Thanks! The Psvane CV181-TII is one of my favorite 6SN7 tubes and it's good to hear that the new Linlai is on the same level. I need to get one of the Linlai tubes for myself asap.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #78,747 of 150,920
An aside:

Have I mentioned that Roon Radio ROCKS!

I could listen all day, but I have my first live concert in quite some time this evening - Chicago!

(Woohoo. Finally, some semblance of normalcy!). 😄

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #78,748 of 150,920
An aside:

Have I mentioned that Roon Radio ROCKS!

I could listen all day, but I have my first live concert in quite some time this evening - Chicago!

(Woohoo. Finally, some sense of normalcy!). 😄
When I first heard or Roon I thought it was way too expensive. But when they had a 3month deal on I finally gave it a shot. Now I don’t want to go without it…

I still need to pickup a NUC to run the Core on. It’s running on an old laptop now which still gets used for some other tasks.

Enjoy your concert!

Jun 26, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #78,749 of 150,920
Jun 26, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #78,750 of 150,920
I agree @Odin412.
Cream, CS&N, The Who, The Kinks, The Beatles, Eagles, The Police are just a few more examples.
It's probably harder to think of great bands who all got on really well . Big egos are involved. :beyersmile:
Grateful Dead seems to have gotten along quite nicely :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back