Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #78,722 of 151,327
Seems like your company's engineers could benefit from Dimensional Variation Analysis (DVA) tools to help prevent/minimize chance of this happening.
We use them. But vendors never 100% inspect all dimensions. So Charlie (or Hui) sets up a machine wrong and that hole which is “always right because the process is controlled” suddenly moves. But our first article inspection proved it was correct. Suddenly we have 200 parts that are promised to be in print but are not.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #78,723 of 151,327
Sinatra. The Beatles. Ella Fitzgerald. Thee Glen Miller Orchestra. I could go on but yes, I do understand quite well your meaning :thumbsup: but I did not wish to resist the base desire to mention some of my favorites I would (and have!) listened to on a mid 60s portable transistor radio. And thought I was in audio heaven. Heaven with a little "h", sir! :ksc75smile:

I've been wanting to listen to some of these in mono, preferably on a 1960's style speaker (one large woofer and one paper tweeter in a big open back cabinet.) None of my equipment has a mono setting. Some of my nice CD's came from mono mastered LPs. Benny Goodman's "B.G. in Hi-Fi" is mono, as are a couple of my Basie CD's. I'm not rejecting stereo, I'd just like to hear them on a nice mono setup. I heard them first on AM radios with three inch speakers, I want to hear what the rich audiophiles heard in 1962.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #78,724 of 151,327
Aha... Same deal with us. Some suppliers are good about keeping their processes in statistical control (and performing random part inspections to prove it), others not so good. This is to point where if we mention to our manufacturing engineers that a part is coming from supplier X, they go "OK, good" but if it comes from supplier Y, they say "oh god."

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #78,725 of 151,327
My favorite supplier foul up. $4 fasteners were purchased in lots of 4500 pieces. They started breaking at assembly. Pieces from spares (an old lot) did not break. Supplier told us their process was unchanged, the parts were good, we were mis-installing them. Measurements with simple gauges showed no differences. Our very expensive 3D X-Ray machine showed subtle differences in shape from the old lot to the new lot. We walked the supplier's production facility. An employee shocked his supervisor by saying, "I adjusted that die to crimp harder, it didn't seem tight enough." Readjusting the die stopped the breakage. The supplier was red faced, the adjustment was news to them and they got the news at the same time as we did.

Jun 25, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #78,726 of 151,327
Any bets on how many of these sell?

Screenshot_20210625-064219_Chrome.jpg

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #78,727 of 151,327
Aha... Same deal with us. Some suppliers are good about keeping their processes in statistical control (and performing random part inspections to prove it), others not so good. This is to point where if we mention to our manufacturing engineers that a part is coming from supplier X, they go "OK, good" but if it comes from supplier Y, they say "oh god."
Every operator knows how to run the process in the "best" way. Just ask 'em :)

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #78,728 of 151,327
Thinking of getting a pair of Texton Lore Reference or Lore Mini speakers. Along with an Aegir to run them. Zu Omen DW might be better but not sure if they’re worth the extra bucks.

This is for my living room in a 2 bedroom condo so I don’t have a huge space.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #78,729 of 151,327
Thinking of getting a pair of Texton Lore Reference or Lore Mini speakers. Along with an Aegir to run them. Zu Omen DW might be better but not sure if they’re worth the extra bucks.

This is for my living room in a 2 bedroom condo so I don’t have a huge space.

Been looking at this myself for awhile. The Omen DW is a 10" drive similar to the Tekton Lore speaker. Lore Reference and Mini are 8" drivers so most likely better for a smaller space.

If your condo has an open plan meaning open to dining room and kitchen you will be pressurizing the whole area so 10" may be ok even if your living room is not big.

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #78,730 of 151,327
I've been wanting to listen to some of these in mono, preferably on a 1960's style speaker (one large woofer and one paper tweeter in a big open back cabinet.) None of my equipment has a mono setting. Some of my nice CD's came from mono mastered LPs. Benny Goodman's "B.G. in Hi-Fi" is mono, as are a couple of my Basie CD's. I'm not rejecting stereo, I'd just like to hear them on a nice mono setup. I heard them first on AM radios with three inch speakers, I want to hear what the rich audiophiles heard in 1962.
I have June Christie's Something Cool, the CD has both the stereo and mono releases. I've never bothered to compare the two. The title track is one of my favorite songs, it's a great short story. I think all of my Frank Sinatra recordings have STEREO emblazoned (not simply printed, but EMBLAZONED) across the top of the cover. Didn't want us to miss that, I guess. I also have a Toscanini recording (the "Rome" recordings from Respighi, I think) which is monaural.

Jun 25, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #78,731 of 151,327
Any bets on how many of these sell?

Screenshot_20210625-064219_Chrome.jpg
If I can plug these into my Bose Wave Radio, I'm in. For two pair, so my wife can join me.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #78,733 of 151,327
Oh god, do they ever. I think part of the whole IATF/ISO/LMNOPQ agencies are not to ensure you are making a good part, just the same part every time.
That's right. My company (and me) subscribed to Deming's ideas ... run to target and work to reduce variability around the target. This leads to consistent product quality. It doesn't mean the product will actually work in use - that's a separate effort. At the start, our operators had their own set of SOCs in their lockers, and every shift the process was being changed. Imagine what that does to the overall variance! It took us a long time to change that mind set.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #78,735 of 151,327
That's right. My company (and me) subscribed to Deming's ideas ... run to target and work to reduce variability around the target. This leads to consistent product quality. It doesn't mean the product will actually work in use - that's a separate effort. At the start, our operators had their own set of SOCs in their lockers, and every shift the process was being changed. Imagine what that does to the overall variance! It took us a long time to change that mind set.
Making it "right" begins with the ability to make it "the same", within some reasonable variation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back