Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #78,331 of 150,484
A Schiit customer, that received the wrong product, has a legit gripe. But, it's not a "customer service issue", if customer service has never been contacted about the problem. While it's fine to vent here, follow a logical path first. Give Schiit a chance before venting. In the past, I've had a Schiit order issue, and I contacted Schiit first, and everything was resolved satisfactorily. Everything taken care of. No problem. Easy. :relaxed:

This. Schiit customer service has always replied to me within a few hours and taken care of my (Schiit related) issues within a day, even though I live in Europe.
For example it took a couple of tries to get a functioning Jotunheim 2 on launch, but they managed to ship me three units faster than it took a cable company to ship me balanced cables I had ordered at the same time.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #78,332 of 150,484
Watched most of the show (nice job as usual) and to me Tyr was the star. Man, I don't *NEED* a couple of big mono amps, but as a sucker for big iron amplifiers I *WANT* some. I'd just have to find a way to use them. Hmm. Maybe time to DIY some 85db sensitivity floor standers or something...
Oh yeah, I am saving my money for two of those 'electr. Tyr suckers'. Tyr shall though, arrive in Europe probably 2022 ... (or pay crazy shipping and customs with direct, if the EURO gets really strong I might:wink:)

Jun 15, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #78,333 of 150,484
I am a phycician, researcher (and surgon) too. Like @KoshNaranek and many here.
Most are more polite than I am.
As a researcher you should know that it's utterly impossible to do audio blind testing.
Only someone testing what she/he likes best is possible. It's discussed many times over between scientists here.
The listening tests they do at the Schiitr do seem to be a lot of fun and do not pretend to be scientifical. Which is good.

Edit: No it would not be a publishable paper. It wouldn't be science at all.
Audio blind would be deaf, right?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #78,334 of 150,484
It is an excellent song even if I don't think I will ever understand the lyrics!
YES were high as kites on Roundabout (my opinion). Love the album, mind you...

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #78,335 of 150,484
Someone sent me this yesterday.... covers this type of thing very well, math in this instance. Stay to the end!

Don't even get me started... This was making the rounds among the Brotherhood of Mutants (what I call my professional clique). 99% of my students and parents are great. And that 1%.... yep yep yep. :angry:

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #78,336 of 150,484
Audio blind would be def, right?
Most folks involved in what I am doing are scientists I know and trust not just names on a thread, and there is a good chance portions will be published or at least included in published works or classroom studies. I know for a fact some have already been used in audio engineering studies. I have no doubt @KoshNaranek and others are involved in science but they are not in the same room as we decide on how to go about what we are doing. :smile_phones: My involvement, as I have stated had more to do with equipment.

It is fun collecting rare tubes and hearing some that few have heard before. (We have some prototypes as well as what I believe are rare production variations.) Those helping with the testing seem to have fun, we have a waiting list for the fifty who will participate, I mentioned a party afterwards and that is always fun. The tube testing is mostly for my groups enjoyment I admit and this one is a bit unusual. Other testing we have done has other purposes and I am happy to talk about those in PM only.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #78,337 of 150,484
YES were high as kites on Roundabout (my opinion). Love the album, mind you...
As were most of the musicians back then. Why the music was so good :)

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #78,339 of 150,484
As far as my upcoming 6sn7 equivalent test, I designed four identical amps just for this purpose. Several folks here know the amp in its later iterations, and most agree the amp shows off tube sound. The music used was recorded specifically to show off 25 audio criteria, we used it on DACS, it will be used on tubes. Some of the folks listening performed on said test music. The gentleman who put this together is highly regarded in his field. We will be using a quad of Sennheiser HD800's with Identical cables I built. Folks behind the scenes will be adjusting audio levels so they match up. This is a long process and eight of us listened and chose the top 52 tubes we chose blind using the above methods, I want to say we had around 1900 different tubes but some are from the same manufacturers so we decided on the best of a specific brand. A bit of thought was put into this. :ksc75smile: Covid delayed this and we want to insure all are safe when we get back into final testing.
As a happy owner of a Feliks Elise, I can't wait to read the results!

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #78,340 of 150,484
As a happy owner of a Feliks Elise, I can't wait to read the results!
A great amp by all accounts. I am hoping to one day have one of my amps compared to the Elise but often my loaners do not get very far before someone wants to buy it and I have to start again. :ksc75smile:

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #78,341 of 150,484
Indeed but it never delivered a viable scientific paper.
Market is too small to get scientific paper (I believe the car industry did a lot of research) ... best to measure the output, the happy faces. The music/recording/performance and the environment where the music is consumed is most important I find. Quality is secondary imo. Concerts with PA systems give many happy faces. For those few (us audiophools) listening to high quality sound is rather an exception than the rule. Takes a lot of education and then it is still hard for a non-audiophool to understand why we crave for high-SQ. A bit like drinking that fantastic wine all compared to drinking a good wine with good friends.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #78,342 of 150,484
As someone that has more Schiit than needed...

I thought my post was not running them down. I thought the whole thing was amusing.

I know they'll take care of me. I did email them before my post here

I check the current deals, everyday, multiple times a day. Nearly everything I have was B stock or close out--I have a B stock silver SYS NIB--because why not

Someone stop me before I buy the silver Modius on the current deals page. I need it to match my silver Freya S...argh

Must not buy, wallet is screaming

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #78,343 of 150,484
Market is too small to get scientific paper (I believe the car industry did a lot of research) ... best to measure the output, the happy faces. The music/recording/performance and the environment where the music is consumed is most important I find. Quality is secondary imo. Concerts with PA systems give many happy faces. For those few (us audiophools) listening to high quality sound is rather an exception than the rule. Takes a lot of education and then it is still hard for a non-audiophool to understand why we crave for high-SQ. A bit like drinking that fantastic wine all compared to drinking a good wine with good friends.
I drank wine with a real expert once. I am an expert in $12 reds, in those days it was $10 reds. He ordered a bottle of something and it was poured into an unusually-shaped decanter. He told me "this is the only $70 per bottle wine that is worth drinking." The special decanter had some magic properties that were required. I really enjoyed the wine. I'd have happily paid $15 for a bottle. I didn't tell him that, I just agreed that it was excellent.

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #78,344 of 150,484

I thought my post was not running them down. I thought the whole thing was amusing.

I check the current deals, everyday, multiple times a day. Nearly everything I have was B stock or close out--I have a B stock silver SYS NIB--because why not

Someone stop me before I buy the silver Modius on the current deals page. I need it to match my silver Freya S...argh

Sorry you need the Gungnir if you want it to match color and size ;P
I'm hoping for a Gungnir update with the newer case style so it can site side by side with a Freya

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #78,345 of 150,484

I took your post as good natured disappointment, a real complainer goes way past what you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back