Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #76,711 of 150,749
ROFL! I bet you go running through a crowded movie theater screaming "Fire! Fire!" in your spare time. :laughing::laughing:

I'll leave the rest alone though. BBQ opinion is probably more subjective than even audio. :smile:
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :deadhorse:... I find all of the BBQ back and forth entertaining -I admire and respect all of you.

Audio and micro-brew :beerchug: are my main interests and I find the audio opinions I get here make my wallet lighter.. :L3000:

*** Off topic: My current conundrum is: I want a modi-mulitbit with Unison or Modious Multibit or one of the new ESS Modi?

I am too gun shy to buy a Modious because every time I buy a new piece of Schiit, it gets replaced with a new model by Schiit (Vali with bigger Vali, Modi 2 Uber with Multibit, Modi 3 with Modious and Modi 3+)

May 14, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #76,713 of 150,749
Are you forgetting the amp I called the Cowen till I put some decent parts in it? lol Now mind you some of the tubes in it last saw action on German U-boats but I did use pentodes as triodes. Cowen amp.jpg I even used tiger maple with white walnut.:football::bear:

Beautiful amp, but I am really coveting the Chicago Bears cup... :beerchug::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::bear::football:

May 14, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #76,714 of 150,749
Or one by the Russians.
There were Russian tubes, a GE 5998a, and some Tung Sols, both a grey glass and a black glass. The grey is less known I suppose.😀 Of course Bill has not tried that GE tube yet so he should just talk bar-b-cue😎

May 14, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #76,715 of 150,749
*** Off topic: My current conundrum is: I want a modi-mulitbit with Unison or Modious Multibit or one of the new ESS Modi?

I am too gun shy to buy a Modious because every time I buy a new piece of Schiit, it gets replaced with a new model by Schiit (Vali with bigger Vali, Modi 2 Uber with Multibit, Modi 3 with Modious and Modi 3+)

Hurry up and buy something, so Schiit will release something new the rest of us can buy!

My current conundrum is a headphone amp for my main system. I have Mani and Modius connected to Freya S connected to dual Vidars and an RCA connection between Freya and my sub. I turn the Vidars off when I'm not listening, but everything else stays on. A headphone amp presumably would go between the Freya S and subwoofer and need the preamp out to be switchable (so the subwoofer isn't playing when I'm using headphones), so Jotunheim or Asgard. If Jot it would presumably be between the Freya and Vidars too. In either case, I'd probably leave the headphone amp on all the time. I'm not thrilled about adding another component to the chain, particularly one with volume control.

I wish the headphone amps had passive line-level outputs.

May 14, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #76,716 of 150,749
Hurry up and buy something, so Schiit will release something new the rest of us can buy!

My current conundrum is a headphone amp for my main system. I have Mani and Modius connected to Freya S connected to dual Vidars and an RCA connection between Freya and my sub. I turn the Vidars off when I'm not listening, but everything else stays on. A headphone amp presumably would go between the Freya S and subwoofer and need the preamp out to be switchable (so the subwoofer isn't playing when I'm using headphones), so Jotunheim or Asgard. If Jot it would presumably be between the Freya and Vidars too. In either case, I'd probably leave the headphone amp on all the time. I'm not thrilled about adding another component to the chain, particularly one with volume control.

Asgard doesn't have switchable pre-outs. Doesn't the Freya S have two RCA outs? One could go to the sub and the other to your headphone amp. Are they both active at the same time?

May 14, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #76,717 of 150,749
I am still waiting for the return of the El Camino lol, my wife will let me walk in and buy one no questions asked if they ever return. Notice how I have a photograph, the one I had pre-dated smart phones.😎
Would you accept a Subaru Brat as a substitute?

May 14, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #76,718 of 150,749
Speaking of Slide Rules (There's a Downfall meme for anything)
I heard a story about the Chinese premier (current one) wigging out because all the ball point pens were imported in China.

May 14, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #76,719 of 150,749
Asgard doesn't have switchable pre-outs. Doesn't the Freya S have two RCA outs? One could go to the sub and the other to your headphone amp. Are they both active at the same time?
With Asgard the preamp outs are inactive if headphones are connected. I prefer a switch, like Jot, but Asgard is better than nothing.

Freya does have two RCA outs, but then the subwoofer would be playing whenever I'm listening through headphones (since I leave the sub on all the time and it automatically goes into standby mode when there's no signal), which I don't want. (First world problems....)

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #76,720 of 150,749
May 14, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #76,721 of 150,749

Welcome to the Schiit Show... enjoy.

BTW I absolutely love my Asgard 3 - all the raves about it here when it came out made me purchase it.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #76,724 of 150,749
Your Pickett has a very handsome case. Must have looked really good swinging on your belt, back when that was high fashion in engineering schools across the country.

I was reading about slide rules a few years ago when I was in a nostalgic mood. Until I read it, it didn't occur to me what the consequences in terms of physical size would be in going from 0.001 resolution to 0.0001 resolution to 0.00001 resolution. Amazing how big the slide rules would get.

http://mit-a.com/TexasMagnum.shtml#...gest Slide Rule,the longest linear slide rule.

May 14, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #76,725 of 150,749
IEMagni.JPG
IEMagni 2.JPG
IEMagni 3.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back