Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #75,588 of 150,675
We changed all of our backordered products yesterday to more accurately reflect current conditions and uncertainties.

Previously we provided a ship date, like "Backordered, ships May 5," which caused many people to camp out and wait until, like, May 4, then place an order and expect it to ship on May 5. The problem is, even if that date held, we'd be clearing deep backorders and unable to ship their order. So they'd be irritated, having expected their order to ship almost immediately.

So, now we have changed a delay range, like, "Rolling backorder, ships in est. 4-6 weeks." This more accurately reflects the wait for a product to ship when you order that day. It doesn't set expectations for a single magical date. It allows for surprises in the extremely difficult environment we're operating in--seriously, one part out of hundreds can hold up a product indefinitely. Analog Devices DACs are now 26-45 week lead times. Many tiny, seemingly insignificant parts, like capacitors, are out of stock or delayed (or different, and have to be requalified. The lead time for steel and aluminum has drawn out--hell, the cost of sheet steel is up 2X from November and 4X from a couple of years ago (!)

Bottom line, the pedal is on the floor. Everyone at Schiit knows they are empowered to expand, hire, accelerate, but we can only produce so many products of high quality and reliability. We don't want these backorders. Nobody does. And we're working to fix them. I hope the "estimated X-Y weeks" on many products is a pessimistic estimate.

So: best to order and wait, if you really want something in backorder. Or move on. Our estimates are exactly that--estimates. As in, guesses. And to be clear, we don't charge your order until it ships.
I will wait for my Hel 2.
But my last b-stock order is canceled.
I am a bit disappointed.I am not mad.
I will find a cheap temp dac/amp.

both my last order is charged.
Lost 10% i valuta diff on my canceled order

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #75,589 of 150,675
Those guys are great .. and LTE 3 is very impressive. Did you get the deluxe version with the second disc loaded with jam session tracks?

I did, mine finally showed up earlier this week. I know I shouldn't be surprised by now (have been a fan ever since they released the first album 20+ years ago) but these guys continue to blow me away...

I work in the semiconductor industry. 26-45 week lead times are currently common, and some are much longer. This is why all the major manufacturers have announced plans to build new fabs over the next few years - both because of the ever-onward press of new technology nodes plus just to keep up with demand. And now I am hearing about new and severe silicon shortages... hold on to your hat.

Yeah, try purchasing a current gen GPU or AMD CPU (12 or 16 core especially) and you can look at paying at least a 50% premium on the CPU's and well over 100% for the GPU's. I've sold some older well used GPU's for double what they retailed for in this market...

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #75,590 of 150,675
I’ve been waiting seven or eight weeks for RAM that I ordered. I waited more than a month for my Vali2+ (not complaining, it’s a first world problem to be waiting for a product that will increase my distortion!). And I buy a lot of plywood, it’s gone up in price a lot! Also a first world problem for me, the plywood is not for shelter, I build wooden drums.

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #75,591 of 150,675
I will wait for my Hel 2.
But my last b-stock order is canceled.
I am a bit disappointed.I am not mad.
I will find a cheap temp dac/amp.

both my last order is charged.
Lost 10% i valuta diff on my canceled order

Your order was NOT charged--we do not charge credit card orders before they ship, as explained in our FAQ:

Do you charge my card immediately, or when you ship?
We won’t charge your order before we ship, though we will authorize your card when you submit your order. The hold on your funds should be dropped after 3 days if we don’t ship before then.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #75,592 of 150,675
Your order was NOT charged--we do not charge credit card orders before they ship, as explained in our FAQ:

We won’t charge your order before we ship, though we will authorize your card when you submit your order. The hold on your funds should be dropped after 3 days if we don’t ship before then.

That's not entirely true, at least not in Canada. I had an order last summer that I changed before it shipped. The original order was cancelled and I placed a new order. When the first order dropped off my credit card, I lost $17 to bank exchange rates (exchange rate going to USD has a fee built in, as does exchange rate coming back to CAD). I made the change to the order, so that's on me.

If I lost money because an order got cancelled by Schiit, that would be more annoying.
1619194674047.png

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #75,593 of 150,675

That’s just PayPal and conversion rates.
#firstworldproblems

I guess this is a good time to read the chapter on Amazon...

edited to add the Amazon reference

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #75,596 of 150,675
Another aspect of measurement that's underappreciated is the skill of reading the measurements. You can present a measurement to a n00b and an expert, and they will get very different things out of it. I've found that most people who dismiss measurements also don't know how to read them.
Or think the specifications and limits tell the whole story.

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #75,597 of 150,675
How many companies do this stuff, that Jason does.....absolutely amazing the amount of stuff he shares with us "oompa lumpas!"...when he could be driving that nice
new Corvette around Willows Springs Track!! or enjoying life with his family.....

An amazing company that has come a loooooong way...not perfect but they keep trying to make all things "good" and step up to the plate when things dont go exactly as
planned...

My hats off the Jason and Schitt for being so customer centric and technically honest!!

Alex
:>)

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #75,598 of 150,675
I work in the semiconductor industry. 26-45 week lead times are currently common, and some are much longer. This is why all the major manufacturers have announced plans to build new fabs over the next few years - both because of the ever-onward press of new technology nodes plus just to keep up with demand. And now I am hearing about new and severe silicon shortages... hold on to your hat.

Yeah, I already heard TSMC having more delays due to another power outage, pains me to think about the wasted silicon due to that!

Sounds like if you see something you like and in stock, buy first talk later

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #75,599 of 150,675
Yeah, I already heard TSMC having more delays due to another power outage, pains me to think about the wasted silicon due to that!

Sounds like if you see something you like and in stock, buy first talk later
Don't forget about the drought which has been causing them issues as well...

Apr 23, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #75,600 of 150,675
We regret to inform you that the current lead time on hats has been adjusted to late q4 / early q1 - 2022.
Hats are still showing “In Stock” on the Schiit site. Get ‘em before they go on rolling backorder, too! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back