Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 22, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #73,921 of 150,715
I will go the other direction now and say that testing $2,000 speaker cables is equally not worth the effort. Again, I am an engineer. Go get a job at any aerospace company and suggest any improvement to their planes. Get a job at a computer company and suggest a (technological) improvement to their computer. Unless you bring a good reason "why" they are not going to try your idea. I haven't heard a compelling argument for speaker cables beyond "reasonable diameter, decent materials." So I feel no duty to test them.
There have been some interesting advancements in speaker cable engineering. I balk at spending that kind of money too but there is a free trial available.
Check out the design theory.
https://www.iconoclastcable.com

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #73,922 of 150,715
I heard the Zu Druids a few years ago at Axpona and was really impressed by them. They had a real lively sound similar to a PA speaker but without the glare. I haven't heard the DW Omens but I've read lots of praise for them. Zu seems geared more for Rock sound. At least their 16 ohms are an easy load. I'd love to try the Cubes but $1100 is a bit much for what you get. Especially compared to the DW Omens.

I've also heard the Maggie MMGs (precursor to the LRS) and they sounded crystal clear down to around 100 Hz. They seemed better suited to jazz and classical. You will need a fast sub to keep up with them. Something like this. Depending on your music tastes either one seems like a good choice.
I think you're the second person to mention Rhythmik in a post or PM. Do you have one? Have you compared Rhythmik to any other subs? I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #73,923 of 150,715
I think you're the second person to mention Rhythmik in a post or PM. Do you have one? Have you compared Rhythmik to any other subs? I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.
This guy seems to be reviewing a lot of subwoofers recently...

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #73,925 of 150,715
As much as I would like an electric car, they need to get past two hurdles. One being range and the second being charging locations and time to charge.
You are 100% correct, for now. But trust me when I say there are thousands of clever engineers and infrastructure experts working on precisely that problem. In another 10 years this will likely not be an issue. Right now an electric vehicle is for early adopters who are willing to work with those limitations. I've driven my Model S from my home here in the Phoenix area to my son's home in San Jose, CA (about 875 miles one-way) and it is a two day drive due to recharging. But I was in no hurry. :)

By the way, electric truck company Rivian is installing another charging network designed around the intended use of their sport vehicles, so the infrastructure is growing (and if I was in the market for a truck, I'd order a Rivian.) https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35892061/rivian-adventure-ev-charging-network/

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #73,926 of 150,715
I have essentially the same sub as the link I posted but in a custom cabinet. It's great for music and movies. It will definitely rattle the walls if you want it to but it also plays so cleanly that at moderate volume you almost forget it's there until it's needed.

I also have a custom version of Rythmik / GR Research open baffle subs in my main rig which for 2 channel are endgame subs.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #73,927 of 150,715
My wife is from Santa Barbara, other than my wife, the best thing ever out of CA is Tri Tip. Even better than right turn on red.
Tri tip (after marinating in Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes) on the grill at the beach with a cold brew in my hand is one of my favorite California memories.

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #73,928 of 150,715
How long until you break even? What do you do during hurricanes?
Based on my previous electricity bills I break even in 2025 (10 years.) But I really don't care about that, I had the cash and I invested it. As far as hurricanes, the last time Arizona was beach-front property was about 300 million years ago. But being serious for a second, the mounting system for my roof-top array is rated to withstand 225 MPH winds.

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #73,929 of 150,715
I did have some (considerable, to the extent of installing solar panels) angst about a "fuel hog", so I'll just point out that on the way back from Bowling Green the brand new tight engine and tranny resulted in 27.9 (I tried, really tried to get to 28!) mpg overall.
Wow! That is excellent and much better than I would have expected. The best I ever got in the Benz was 20 MPG on a long highway drive when the engine turned itself into a straight-six. I averaged around 14 in town mainly because I just couldn't keep my foot out of it. :)

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #73,930 of 150,715
Wow! That is excellent and much better than I would have expected. The best I ever got in the Benz was 20 MPG on a long highway drive when the engine turned itself into a straight-six. I averaged around 14 in town mainly because I just couldn't keep my foot out of it. :)
The C8 has the fancy GM technology that shuts down 4 cylinders when they are not needed. I've seen reports that this results in saving only.1 mpg, but I'm skeptical of those. Around town I'm getting 20ish. Until I press the Z switch and go ape........

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #73,931 of 150,715
I did have some (considerable, to the extent of installing solar panels) angst about a "fuel hog", so I'll just point out that on the way back from Bowling Green the brand new tight engine and tranny resulted in 27.9 (I tried, really tried to get to 28!) mpg overall.
That isn't bad, I managed 33 mpg on the drive home with my turbo 4, normally 30 but I kept it slower. If I start romping and driving like I prefer, it drops even lower.
Ok guys. I'm running out of time.

For those who don't know or care, Dirty Weekend is upon us. That's when Zu sells their $1500 Omen speakers for $1000 and everyone lines up to pre-order.

I'm tempted. 60 day trial

Buuut:

Maggie LRS have been discussed at length around and well, who hasn't always wanted to try Maggies? Trial I think.

And of course the venerable Ohm Walsh, which is a serious speaker for serious money. $2000 for the small one, I'd probably have to get the $2800 version, which is more than I want to spend on a ca ... speakers. But, 2 channel surround sound, or something. Zeos BOUGHT THEM with HIS OWN MONEY. Not the Patreon fund and this guy has all the speakers already. So, I imagine that what I imagine these sound like is ... best left to the imagination. 120 day trial.

I'm not comfortable ordering all 3 and returning 2, or worse, not returning 2.
I know I have a set of the Walsh 1000s on order, should be a race for them vs the Yggy to get here.
Ive stopped watching Zeos when I realize he just like to hype up things and get view counts.
I stopped when I realized he is deaf - he claimed the DT880 600Ohm were power hungry to drive at "reasonable" volume, and they aren't - I drove them with my phone, to me that isn't power hungry.
You are 100% correct, for now. But trust me when I say there are thousands of clever engineers and infrastructure experts working on precisely that problem. In another 10 years this will likely not be an issue. Right now an electric vehicle is for early adopters who are willing to work with those limitations. I've driven my Model S from my home here in the Phoenix area to my son's home in San Jose, CA (about 875 miles one-way) and it is a two day drive due to recharging. But I was in no hurry. :)

By the way, electric truck company Rivian is installing another charging network designed around the intended use of their sport vehicles, so the infrastructure is growing (and if I was in the market for a truck, I'd order a Rivian.) https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35892061/rivian-adventure-ev-charging-network/
I view the electric great (currently) for day trips, longer trips are becoming feasible with planning, and by the time I am ready to purchase the network should be robust enough. Right now it is 90 miles round trip for work, at ~30 mpg so 3 gal per day. At 3.50$/gal (woo 92+ octane turbo) that is 10.5$/day. It seems most electrics currently are in the 25-30 kwh/100 miles, so 22.5-27 kWh per day, at they 10.1c/kWh I pay, that is 2.2725-2.727$/day for electric. That is a nice savings and I only see electric costs going up, gas costs going up, and kWh/100miles going down.

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #73,934 of 150,715
Thanks @StevePNW .
They seemed better suited to jazz and classical. You will need a fast sub to keep up with them. Something like this. Depending on your music tastes either one seems like a good choice.
I went with L12 instead. I think it'll still be a good match for LRS when I receive them. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back