Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #73,891 of 150,788
So, let's let the politics move to other sites. <sigh> Life is fun, right? Let's have some fun!

Sharing a true story here about audio discovery, musical awakening, learning, growing, and living well. It was 1979 and I worked in a "hi end' hi-fi store in San Antonio, Texas. A trade-in put a Dynaco PAS 3 and Stereo 70 on the used shelf for peanuts. They went home with me!

My system was a Linn Sondek LP-12 playing through the Dyna "stack" into Magnepan MG IIa's. I listened to that system for hours at a time.

That was a long time ago, but the same refreshing reintroduction to the world of music comes to me through my Schiit experience – starting Modi-Magni a few years ago and now Bifrost 2 - Jot 2.

It is fun to hear how many followers of this thread and Schiit users are now looking to the Magnepan LRS speakers powered by tube products. Well, why not?

My wish to all is to enjoy the music of the moment through the gear you've got now, and keep imagining how good it can be later on. Cheers!

PAS 3.jpg

Attachments

• ST-70.jpg
    ST-70.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MG II.jpg
    MG II.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #73,892 of 150,788
How long until you break even? What do you do during hurricanes?

lol I'm guessing he watches it on TV while sitting on his porch in Arizona.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #73,896 of 150,788
Depends on how picky you get with the different editions. I buy CDs regularly but what I buy doesn't come very cheap :wink:
This weekend I was looking around for Who’s Next and cried when I saw the Mofi prices for the Gold CD (300+). But Hoffman forums helped with that issue! Picked up an MCA disc mastered by Hoffman, uncredited, for $20. That’s the best part of CDs! There is usually at least one release that can be had for cheap. But if you can’t find something cheap, just use Qobuz.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #73,897 of 150,788
Thanks @golfbravobravo
Just been reading about it.
Prices starts at £80k in the UK.
It does have a 'proper' V8- at 6.2 litres, with 495 bhp and a 0-60 time of 2.9 secs.
Almost Tesla S performance :relaxed:
Reviews here have been pretty lukewarm though, which is a bit surprising.
Interesting, I've seen a number of reviews here by Brits who have been mainly complimentary. Reviews overall have been excellent. My neighbor ordered one last month - he maaaaay get it this year.

Mine now has 2,500 milesish and it continues to exceed expectations. I have always had visions of US muscle cars being all unsophisticated power and not much else. The fit and finish on the prototype I saw this time last year didn't resolve those doubts. But the production car is outstanding, the fit, finish and ride are all excellent - and the hitech is superbly integrated and usable. I do have some minor complaints, but they are niggles (why can't I get rid of that bloody Android car icon?) And, in a phrase that will work for you, it sticks like the proverbial. I have never driven such a sure footed, precise car.

The standard car in the UK has much that is optional here in the US - though a majority of the cars shipped in the 2020 model year had them too. If you get chance to check one out, do so!!!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #73,898 of 150,788
Ok guys. I'm running out of time.

For those who don't know or care, Dirty Weekend is upon us. That's when Zu sells their $1500 Omen speakers for $1000 and everyone lines up to pre-order.

I'm tempted. 60 day trial

Buuut:

Maggie LRS have been discussed at length around and well, who hasn't always wanted to try Maggies? Trial I think.

And of course the venerable Ohm Walsh, which is a serious speaker for serious money. $2000 for the small one, I'd probably have to get the $2800 version, which is more than I want to spend on a ca ... speakers. But, 2 channel surround sound, or something. Zeos BOUGHT THEM with HIS OWN MONEY. Not the Patreon fund and this guy has all the speakers already. So, I imagine that what I imagine these sound like is ... best left to the imagination. 120 day trial.

I'm not comfortable ordering all 3 and returning 2, or worse, not returning 2.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #73,899 of 150,788
So, let's let the politics move to other sites. <sigh> Life is fun, right? Let's have some fun!

Sharing a true story here about audio discovery, musical awakening, learning, growing, and living well. It was 1979 and I worked in a "hi end' hi-fi store in San Antonio, Texas. A trade-in put a Dynaco PAS 3 and Stereo 70 on the used shelf for peanuts. They went home with me!

My system was a Linn Sondek LP-12 playing through the Dyna "stack" into Magnepan MG IIa's. I listened to that system for hours at a time.

That was a long time ago, but the same refreshing reintroduction to the world of music comes to me through my Schiit experience – starting Modi-Magni a few years ago and now Bifrost 2 - Jot 2.

It is fun to hear how many followers of this thread and Schiit users are now looking to the Magnepan LRS speakers powered by tube products. Well, why not?

My wish to all is to enjoy the music of the moment through the gear you've got now, and keep imagining how good it can be later on. Cheers!

PAS 3.jpg
I am not surprised, I had Maggie Tympani 1U's in black with Dynakit MKIII's and Stereo 70's running in mono and an ARC passive x-over in the 70's. Eventually upgraded my PAS3x to an ARC SP3-A1 at some point. Great sound. And the prices back then were so cheap by comparison with today's gear. Schiit excepted of course.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #73,900 of 150,788
How long until you break even? What do you do during hurricanes?
We installed a modest array (having an aggressive set of homeowner CC&Rs) on the back side of the house that faced S. We are also in one of the cheapest places for electricity (10c kWh) so payback time is not quick - but that wasn't the only point. We are in month 11 and we have generated 4.65MWh in that time. That generation places us - for most months - below the best of the energy efficient homes. We did ponder also having Tesla Powerwall installed but that about doubles the cost for a single bank, and we would probably need two for best effect. When we get the Bolt, we may do that as they can be added later.

Overall, I'd say we are very happy. My friend in Saulsalito, CA has just had the whole shebang installed and his payback is about 5 years.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #73,901 of 150,788
Ive stopped watching Zeos when I realize he just like to hype up things and get view counts.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #73,902 of 150,788

I keep saying that Schiit is the spiritual successor to Dynaco, and I mean that as a compliment!

Here's my wife's slightly customized Dynaco ST-150.
IMG_1689.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #73,903 of 150,788
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #73,904 of 150,788
Ok guys. I'm running out of time.

For those who don't know or care, Dirty Weekend is upon us. That's when Zu sells their $1500 Omen speakers for $1000 and everyone lines up to pre-order.

I'm tempted. 60 day trial

Buuut:

Maggie LRS have been discussed at length around and well, who hasn't always wanted to try Maggies? Trial I think.

And of course the venerable Ohm Walsh, which is a serious speaker for serious money. $2000 for the small one, I'd probably have to get the $2800 version, which is more than I want to spend on a ca ... speakers. But, 2 channel surround sound, or something. Zeos BOUGHT THEM with HIS OWN MONEY. Not the Patreon fund and this guy has all the speakers already. So, I imagine that what I imagine these sound like is ... best left to the imagination. 120 day trial.

I'm not comfortable ordering all 3 and returning 2, or worse, not returning 2.

As a guy who has both LRSs and Zu Omen DWs....

I'd say get both.. lol.

It depends on how loud you like to get. The Zu get louder way easier then the LRS, so less amp dependent.

I listen to both, they both do things well.. Zu handle bass better, obviously. LRS are more detailed.

Zu are easier to dial in with room placement.

LRSs are surprisingly fantastic with any tv or home theater you might watch.

They both have different but very appealing tone and texture.

LRSs will have you waiting until first or second week of July if you order today.

Fun decision, you'll be happy either way.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #73,905 of 150,788

Users who are viewing this thread

Back