Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #73,471 of 150,428
every gain stage adds noise / distortion, so in the case of Freya S + Vidar, there are at least 5 gain stages: Freya S front end, Freya S driver, Vidar front end, Vidar driver, and Vidar output stage. Ragnarok 2 has only 3 or 4 stages (based on Jason's posts). So theoretically lower overall noise.

If you are intending to drive the Zu (97 dB/1W/1m) or other efficient speakers using a balanced source, pre-amp and dual mono Vidars (effectively running balanced) there might be more gain than you need for max rated amp power, resulting in more background hiss. gain options are 1x or 4x on Freya S, so either 22x or 88x overall. 4x Nexus mode combined with Vidar's gain is likely to overdrive/ clip too easily, so you'll likely need to run in passive (requires true balanced source) or Nexus 1X modes. Rag 2 has the advantage of a mid-gain 8x mode in addition to the 1x and 25x choices.

Using full balanced should help alleviate / reduce potential hum/buzz issues related to ground loops. Never defeat / remove the AC ground prong connections to eliminate ground loop noise as fault conditions could result in electrical shock or fire hazards.
Thanks @tincanear for the insight on the Rag 2 integrated gain stage impressions from Jason's discussions. I wonder what that circuit system actually has as far as gain stages.

My brother-in-law would not be using Vidars for a Zu speaker set...but I'm enjoying the LS 50 Metas with my Vidars as they are breaking in! Gain stage 4 with balanced connections do very well with the LS 50 Metas and the Maggie LRSs.

Mar 16, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #73,473 of 150,428
Mar 16, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #73,474 of 150,428
I thought the recommendation for folks who have had covid was a single 'booster' shot?
Really? I have had it, albeit with very mild (almost no) symptoms. My current plan is to take the full vaccination (double shot).

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #73,476 of 150,428
Conspiracy theories have power among the ill-educated, the ideologically-driven, the weak-willed, and/or the willing believers.
How true. Applies regardless of where you are at politically, and I’m guessing this would apply to even non-US societies…..

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #73,477 of 150,428
I think the documented cases of that happening approach zero.
I agree that the problem is greatly overstated. But in the example above, what tools do we have in place to stop it from happening. I’m guessing the only thing would be if the real person showed up to vote and an imposter had already done so??? Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #73,478 of 150,428
Interestingly, whenever I switch on/off my JBL LSR 305 (either side), my Eitr has a chance of switching on/off by itself too. This is happening whether the Eitr is on the same surge protector with the LSR 305s or not

I am starting to think that my Eitr has a way of detecting stuff that can affect my electric power's cleanliness too?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #73,479 of 150,428
aa
I agree that the problem is greatly overstated. But in the example above, what tools do we have in place to stop it from happening. I’m guessing the only thing would be if the real person showed up to vote and an imposter had already done so??? Interested in hearing your thoughts.
Here's the problem in my view: in (some of) our lifetimes, bureaucracy has been used to intentionally deny the vote to eligible voters.

We should be rightly skeptical of any attempt to require additional bureaucracy on a theoretical presence of fraud, when the actual, real-world disenfranchisement of eligible voters, reinforced by violent means, was widespread and within living memory.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #73,481 of 150,428
With a bit of luck I’ll be drinking some this summer in the South of Italy.
Of you lost your tracks in Italy, just drink a Spritz.
The Sweeter te more south you are.
So Travel to Bologna first to get a medium dry benchmark.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #73,482 of 150,428
There seems to be a pattern in my tast, as I like Highland Park, Talisker and Lagavullin.
This helped me identify what I like and don't like.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #73,483 of 150,428
This helped me identify what I like and don't like.
Tastes vary, even with the weather. I never met a Scotch I didn't at least like.

In the house now, a double cask 16yo Aberlour, 12 yo Lagavoulin, the remains of a Laphroaig Lore gift, a 12 yo Red Breast, a very nice Santa Teresa 1796 rum, and some bourbons...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back