Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #73,458 of 150,836
Proves I can't be trusted for that aspect - I thought the stuff looked neat and aside from hiding the antenna in the attic see no issue about having that stuff in an area guests would see.

Seems to be the going time, I know the Ohm's I ordered had a ~4 month lead time.

It looks like a photoshop, but around here you never know...
Yup Photoshopped :D

Mar 15, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #73,459 of 150,836
Looking for feedback...... I’m currently running a Gungnir multi-bit through a Freya S(on loan from my dad) then to a Parasound Zamp v.3 and into a pair of Elac UB5 speakers. I’m thinking of getting a pair of Zu Omen Dirty Weekends, and Ragnarok 2 to drive them. This way I can return the Freya to my Dad and shift the Parasound to my desktop system. Am I giving any thing up by not holding onto the preamp for a while and getting a Vidar?

With the Zu speakers, on just a pure audio basis, would think Aegir -- either in stereo mode or as a pair of monoblocks -- will provide a more sublime and satisfying experience than a Vidar. Dirty Weekends are extremely efficient and AFAIK don't drop below 8 ohms. Yes, you'd want to keep the Freya around in that case (persuade him to get a Freya+ for himself and sell you the S?). There may be folks around here who have the Aegir/Zu combo...would like to know their experience.

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #73,460 of 150,836
Obviously, Jason is too busy to deal with this bullschiit right now.
I'm actually impressed. There seems to be a more concerted effort to self-regulate lately. I'm glad he hasn't had to jump in since he's probably pretty busy right now.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Mar 15, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #73,462 of 150,836
Looking for feedback...... I’m currently running a Gungnir multi-bit through a Freya S(on loan from my dad) then to a Parasound Zamp v.3 and into a pair of Elac UB5 speakers. I’m thinking of getting a pair of Zu Omen Dirty Weekends, and Ragnarok 2 to drive them. This way I can return the Freya to my Dad and shift the Parasound to my desktop system. Am I giving any thing up by not holding onto the preamp for a while and getting a Vidar?
Having a Rag 2 instead of Freya S + Vidar eliminates some additional gain stages in the signal chain and gives you more control of the feedback / loop gain as Rag2 has 3 gain settings. per the Zu specs, they look very efficient and should work nicely when driven by the Rag 2.

Freya S using SE input & SE output, IMO, has a warmer tone (bass a bit muddier) and sounds less dynamic in 1x Nexus mode vs passive. I don't use the 4x Nexus because the noise floor is higher in my non-conventional application (Freya S SE out feeding Asgard 3 in high gain mode)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #73,463 of 150,836
With the Zu speakers, on just a pure audio basis, would think Aegir -- either in stereo mode or as a pair of monoblocks -- will provide a more sublime and satisfying experience than a Vidar. Dirty Weekends are extremely efficient and AFAIK don't drop below 8 ohms. Yes, you'd want to keep the Freya around in that case (persuade him to get a Freya+ for himself and sell you the S?). There may be folks around here who have the Aegir/Zu combo...would like to know their experience.

I use an Aegir with my Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends and it's a wonderful combo. I don't have any experience with the Vidar but the Aegir plays plenty loud for my needs.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #73,464 of 150,836
IMHO, we have a fine bunch of folks here that are intelligent and passionate about a variety of things. While we do toe the line and actually cross it, I truly believe we all care about the thread and forum. This care along with our high regard for each other and Jason means that more often than not we course correct ourselves because we realize it is what is best for our community and its host.

I've been on lots of forums and this forum is truly unique in that it is truly a community of people that care not only about Schiit products, but for each other as well.

And no, that is not a tear. It's my allergies acting up. 😏

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #73,466 of 150,836
Nice review of the Jotunheim 2. Only, what should I make of the "warm bass"? Are here people who can compare with the Jotunheim 1?

Jotunheim 2 review

Apologies if this review has been mentioned already, I don't read every single post in this thread (heresy, I know.....)
As preamps it always seems to me Schiit phoneamps emphasizes the bass region. You don't see it in measurements of course so what do I know.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #73,467 of 150,836
IMHO, we have a fine bunch of folks here that are intelligent and passionate about a variety of things. While we do toe the line and actually cross it on occasion, I truly believe we all care about the thread and forum. This care along with our high regard for each other and Jason means that more often than not we course correct ourselves because we realize it is what is best for our community and its host.

I've been on lots of forums and this forum is truly unique in that it is truly a community of people that care not only about Schiit products, but for each other as well.

And no, that is not a tear. It's my allergies acting up. 😏
Although we all know Jason eschews "negative feedback", a bit of it here (ie: mutual respect) seems to be working just fine.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #73,468 of 150,836
I think the self regulation is just fine. The comments haven’t devolved into barbarism as is usually the case with politics. Also the vast majority of people in this thread are regulars and I think there’s a bit more respect for each other than is usually the case on the interwebs.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #73,469 of 150,836
Having a Rag 2 instead of Freya S + Vidar eliminates some additional gain stages in the signal chain and gives you more control of the feedback / loop gain as Rag2 has 3 gain settings. per the Zu specs, they look very efficient and should work nicely when driven by the Rag 2.

Freya S using SE input & SE output, IMO, has a warmer tone (bass a bit muddier) and sounds less dynamic in 1x Nexus mode vs passive. I don't use the 4x Nexus because the noise floor is higher in my non-conventional application (Freya S SE out feeding Asgard 3 in high gain mode)
I think my brother-in-law would love the Zu DW in the house they just moved to so I have the sale weekend date marked on my calendar for them. I thought long and hard about the Rag 2 before getting my Freya S and 2 Vidar combination which of course I'm running balanced. Very low noise floor in my setup. I wish I could have Rag 2 also but I'll have to live vicariously through others here :wink:

My question though @tincanear is your statement about more gain stages with the pre and the power amp vs the integrated. Passive or the 2 gain stages can be utilized. What is the technical statement you are making as I must be missing something? Thanks!

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #73,470 of 150,836
I think my brother-in-law would love the Zu DW in the house they just moved to so I have the sale weekend date marked on my calendar for them. I thought long and hard about the Rag 2 before getting my Freya S and 2 Vidar combination which of course I'm running balanced. Very low noise floor in my setup. I wish I could have Rag 2 also but I'll have to live vicariously through others here :wink:

My question though @tincanear is your statement about more gain stages with the pre and the power amp vs the integrated. Passive or the 2 gain stages can be utilized. What is the technical statement you are making as I must be missing something? Thanks!
every gain stage adds noise / distortion, so in the case of Freya S + Vidar, there are at least 5 gain stages: Freya S front end, Freya S driver, Vidar front end, Vidar driver, and Vidar output stage. Ragnarok 2 has only 3 or 4 stages (based on Jason's posts). So theoretically lower overall noise.

If you are intending to drive the Zu (97 dB/1W/1m) or other efficient speakers using a balanced source, pre-amp and dual mono Vidars (effectively running balanced) there might be more gain than you need for max rated amp power, resulting in more background hiss. gain options are 1x or 4x on Freya S, so either 22x or 88x overall. 4x Nexus mode combined with Vidar's gain is likely to overdrive/ clip too easily, so you'll likely need to run in passive (requires true balanced source) or Nexus 1X modes. Rag 2 has the advantage of a mid-gain 8x mode in addition to the 1x and 25x choices.

Using full balanced should help alleviate / reduce potential hum/buzz issues related to ground loops. Never defeat / remove the AC ground prong connections to eliminate ground loop noise as fault conditions could result in electrical shock or fire hazards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back