Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #71,986 of 150,059
I'm new to the headphone game, but everyone recommended Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT at $499. Can get open or closed. Drop has them now for $479. I realize its much more than $300, and I hope someone has a good recommendation for closed back <$300 because I'd be all in.
One worth looking at is the Meze 99 (Neo/Noir/Classic). I think the Classic with the wood cups looks the best but I’ve heard the cups on the Neo/Noir version has slightly less treble energy.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #71,987 of 150,059
I am asking about these matched tubes as I am wondering about my next audio moves. To be exact, I am wondering if should I consider those tube amps that require matched pairs/quads of tubes or not, especially the Vallaha 2 (or even Vallaha 3 if I procrastinate enough as per usual), or just keep going for single tube amps like Vali 2+ (or even Vali 3+ if I procrastinate enough as per usual)

Tubes can sound wonderful.
NOS tubes, New Old Stock, often sound better than new production tubes and usually last much longer than modern production tubes.
NOS tubes become more scarce and expensive each year.
One can easily spend more on tubes than the component that uses them. Very easily.

A component that uses one or two tubes is affordable to feed. After that, you have to decide for yourself.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #71,988 of 150,059
A component that uses one or two tubes is affordable to feed.
Unless one has an insatiable appetite, like yours truly. :D

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #71,989 of 150,059
One worth looking at is the Meze 99 (Neo/Noir/Classic). I think the Classic with the wood cups looks the best but I’ve heard the cups on the Neo/Noir version has slightly less treble energy.
I second this. I own a set of classics. I wish I had gotten the noir (same headphones, minus 100 and looks nicer to me)

I rock these all day long at work with my Fulla 3. They sound fantastic. They’re not picky at all about source gear. It’s a fun sound that is great for any genre.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #71,990 of 150,059
I am asking about these matched tubes as I am wondering about my next audio moves. To be exact, I am wondering if should I consider those tube amps that require matched pairs/quads of tubes or not, especially the Vallaha 2 (or even Vallaha 3 if I procrastinate enough as per usual), or just keep going for single tube amps like Vali 2+ (or even Vali 3+ if I procrastinate enough as per usual)
To be clear, the devices won't care if the tubes are "matched" or not, only that they are of the correct type they are designed to power. The only reason for "matching" tube pairs is because sometimes you can hear the difference between right and left. But not always.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #71,991 of 150,059
Waking up to find some of ones difficult problems solved is FANTASIC!!!!
More so when you do not know people are trying to help.
All people who participated in the "boilerproject".....:
"A BIG THANKS TO YOU FOR SAVING ME SO I CAN SAVE MORE LIVES"!!!

The world went from grim to bright overnight! A big surprise.
I am thankful! and @RCBinTN, you're a giant.
Pietro

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #71,993 of 150,059

Pietro
My pleasure, Dr. Cozzi Tinin :)
Be safe at hospital ... your patients will be happy to see you.

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #71,994 of 150,059

Pietro
I guess I missed when you posted about your recovery. Congratulations on being able to work again! :L3000:

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #71,996 of 150,059
I'm new to the headphone game, but everyone recommended Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT at $499. Can get open or closed. Drop has them now for $479. I realize its much more than $300, and I hope someone has a good recommendation for closed back <$300 because I'd be all in.

My favorite closed backs in my collection in order of preference

1. Audioquest NightOwl - sounds great with my Asgard 3 and there are some big discounts on these discontinued headphones

2. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm - not super precise, but really enjoyable on my Darkvoice tube amp
3. NAD HP50 - clean, detailed dynamic, a bit creaky when you move - my wife loves them.
4. Meze Neo - pleasing, not as "warm" as the classics
5. Sony MDR6V - good, clean, but not as enjoyable as the others

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #71,997 of 150,059
Like many comment about the Sennheiser HD800, though, while the high notes are sublime, the foundation is missing.
Funny, my HD800 do not suffer a lack of foundation. Indeed, the bass is quite impressive. Not quite up to Audez'e LCD-4, but then what can is? :)

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #71,998 of 150,059
Estimated shipping date is NOVEMBER 25, 2021 ??? Wow.

Not for those who like semi-quick gratification.

I once ordered a set of keycaps from Drop (the Dasher/Dancer run for those that care) that took about a year to arrive. I was happy with the result, but driven a bit mad by the wait, and bought 3 other sets of keycaps while waiting, just for the instant gratification...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back