Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #71,971 of 150,081
It was above freezing most of the day yesterday in Houston. We've had power for twelve straight hours. First-world luxury, there. Water pressure is still low, too low for a shower. Apparently hoarding and panic buying have the grocery shelves cleared, just like March 2020. I didn't see any ice on in the travel lanes yesterday or today, but there are still some closures on my route to work. I have no explanation for that. I still had fewer than two dozen other cars for company, though, so there is that.

If we have power when I get home, I foresee some head phone time.

If you can't drink the water:

The Glenlivet and Tomintoul both had very light mouth feel, crisp and clean flavor and were smoother neat than the Aberfeldy 12 yr. Not as complex as other whiskies I've had (which is not many). The Highland Park was surprising. My first sip had an almost sour note which was most unexpected. I only had a single dram so I can't yet explain what I find different. It does not have the fruit flavors of the Aberlour. It leans more to the "burn" than "warmth" side. Not objectionably so to me, but I prefer the warming sensation Aberlour 16 has. I think Highland Park will prove to be something different than a "variation on a theme". We didn't crack the Aberlour 18 last night. I was going to buy another bottle of 16 yr, but the store I was in was out so I was forced into a bottle of 18 year. Forced.

To put all this into gear terms:
The Glenlivet and Tomintoul are light and airy, with good detail in the highs. Like many comment about the Sennheiser HD800, though, while the high notes are sublime, the foundation is missing.
On first sampling, the Highland Park is kind of jumbled. It will take several outings to sort out what is going on. It may be mid-centric, but with unusual emphases elsewhere in the spectrum leading to a unique signature.
Aberlour 16 yr is liquid and smooth with a good foundation of sweet fruitiness. The highs are a bit spicy, but not at the expense of smoothness. Like its current stablemates in my cupboard there is no peat to be found. That may be missed by some. So far not by me, though I can see myself seeking out a mildly peated whiskey as a compliment to this.
I have the Tomintoul 16, brought back from Heathrow. Smoothest dram ever, and with a lot more complexity than the 12. Try if you get a chance!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #71,972 of 150,081
Has anyone here got experience with the monoprice m1060c with either Jot/Bifrost or Mjolnir2/Gumby or other Schiit?

Also open to alternatives I’m looking to add a pair of balanced closed backs ideally sub-$300 used to my current sets of Schiit headphones - which right now are HD6XX and HE5XX - both lovely but not bedtime friendly according to my quite understanding wife. My current closed backs are HD595 and AKG553Pro, neither bad but also not much to write home about; both purchased for work some time ago.

thanks!

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #71,973 of 150,081
Indeed have heard many arguments against CA - different perspective - born and raised in El Paso - hated it, hated it, Moved on to Colorado Springs - yes, the site of the history in the BlacKkKlansman movie - yup - hated it too. Moved to Southern California - felt like finally coming home. Everything that was wrong with ELP and Colo Springs was not true here. Will never ever leave - if anything maybe somewhere else in CA - WEST OF THE 5. And here in CA, we have the best BBQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria-style_barbecue

YMMV ! :D

v
A good friend from Tyneside took some of my rub back with him to the UK (along with a description from our butcher here in Bakersfield on how to cut a Tri-Tip - and his butcher in Seahouses said it couldn’t be done. I heard crap about that for 5 years - but I got to see him more often! Tri-Tip is the bomb! Wonder if they can buy it in TX?

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #71,974 of 150,081
While I was typing that last post, What It's All About by Pat Metheny came up on my server on my stereo. A highly recommended album. Solo guitar by Pat, playing songs he describes as "important" to him. He plays a variety of guitars; the opening track features a bizarre 42-string instrument. I looked up photos on the internet... The recording has lots of space, micro-dynamic are almost as much fun to listen to as Metheny's arrangements, and his tone is- as always- beautiful.

As I said, highly recommended, no scotch needed.
Went to order on Amazon, $902.25.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #71,975 of 150,081
It's For You", Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays, As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls: not only my favorite Pat Metheny piece, definitely one of my favorite songs ever recorded.

I knew there was something I liked about you other than you being a fellow Texan!! One of my favorite artists, albums, and tracks! 'American Garage' and 'Offramp' are two additional favorites of mine, but there are just so many good Pat Metheny albums!!

Enjoy and stay warm!!

Feb 19, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #71,976 of 150,081
Went to order on Amazon, $902.25.

If you have Qobuz, it is available from the Qobuz store. Buy and download for $12.99 (CD - 44.1/16).

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #71,977 of 150,081
Speaking of winter roads and Scotland, I've gotten a kick from how they name their road snowplows known as gritters or salters on their tracker page:

BFG Big Friendly Gritter
For Your Ice Only
Gritallica
Grit Expectations
Grits-N-Pieces
Gritty Gonzalez
Gritty Gritty Bang Bang
Ice Queen
Lew-Ice Hamilton
License to Chill
Luke Snowwalker
Nitty Gritty
Sir Grits-A-Lot
Snowkemon Go
Spready Mercury
Sprinkles
Yes Sir, Ice Can Boogie

And my current fave:

Gritter Thunberg!

https://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab
Okay, that's hilarious and totally made my morning.

Salt Disney
Mary Queen of Salt
Sled Zepplin (sic)
Hello Gritty

And s(n)o on...

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #71,978 of 150,081
Thor will reach out and tap you on the head with his hammer. (What he considers a tap.) Why provoke the gods?

More seriously, under what scenario would it be useful or good to hear the effects of one type of tube in your left ear and the sounds of a different type of tube in your right ear?

Good point, maybe I should have asked in a different manner

If the tubes, within the pair/quad, are the same type and model but different measurements, will it be ok?

Won't hurt anything, but it's likely that the gains will be slightly different with an unmatched pair driving each channel separately, meaning the left and right side will have different apparent volume levels. If the tonality is significantly different, that will be an issue too.

To be clear: on the Freya+ pic, I have Electro Harmonix in the gain positions on both channels, and the GEs in the output stage on both channels - so both channels see an EH on the gain and a GE on the output, and the EH pair is matched, as is the GE pair. The Freya is arranged that both gain tubes are on the right side looking from the front, and both output tubes are on the left side.

Thanks for the clearing that up, I didn't know this is fine since I see that Schiit sells quad matched JJ 6SN7s for the Freya

Do those tubes have the same measurement within their pairings?

That might be useful if you were using a speaker based system. Use the different tubes as a form of L/R channel EQ, if required? But otherwise, I don't personally see the benefit in using mismatched tubes.

Ah I see, sounds like I should at least make sure the tubes are of the same model and brand

volume left/right balance control by selecting individual tubes with different gm for gain stage (rightmost pair of tubes):deadhorse:

I didn't know that can work in such a manner, honest!

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #71,979 of 150,081
I am asking about these matched tubes as I am wondering about my next audio moves. To be exact, I am wondering if should I consider those tube amps that require matched pairs/quads of tubes or not, especially the Vallaha 2 (or even Vallaha 3 if I procrastinate enough as per usual), or just keep going for single tube amps like Vali 2+ (or even Vali 3+ if I procrastinate enough as per usual)

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #71,980 of 150,081
Has anyone here got experience with the monoprice m1060c with either Jot/Bifrost or Mjolnir2/Gumby or other Schiit?

Also open to alternatives I’m looking to add a pair of balanced closed backs ideally sub-$300 used to my current sets of Schiit headphones - which right now are HD6XX and HE5XX - both lovely but not bedtime friendly according to my quite understanding wife. My current closed backs are HD595 and AKG553Pro, neither bad but also not much to write home about; both purchased for work some time ago.

thanks!
I took a quick look at one of the better sites that gave these cans a fair review. No mention of a particular Schiit headphone amplifier (headamp?). If you’re set on a balanced output option (that could sit by your bedside w/o an obnoxious LED flooding the roof with light), would you consider a Magnius? Re: closed back headphones. I get my relief from my trusty Sony MDR7510 (spouse hears no noise). Sub-$300? I went sailing off the deep end and blew my 50 year old birthday present on a Dan Clark Audio Ether C Flow 1.1. Zero sound escapes! Mind bending sound quality (at THAT price, I expect nothing less). My 2 cents...

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #71,981 of 150,081
If you have Qobuz, it is available from the Qobuz store. Buy and download for $12.99 (CD - 44.1/16).
+1 for Qobuz... and Pat Metheny :relaxed:
I still buy CDs of albums which I really like, but some are so expensive that I just listen to them on Qobuz. I don't download them; I just stream.
One example is The Beatles' 'White Album'- the 6CD, 50th anniversary remix, which was done brilliantly by Giles Martin. It is £90 in the UK!
There are also oddities like Steven Wilson's remixes of 5 classic Yes albums, which are only available as a vinyl box set, at over £100.
Vinyl is no good to me anyway, as I no longer have a turntable or phono stage, but fortunately these albums are available to stream online via Qobuz.
I was initially very sceptical about getting a subscription streaming service, but at £14.99 pm in the UK, I think Qobuz is great value and I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #71,982 of 150,081

thanks!
I'm new to the headphone game, but everyone recommended Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT at $499. Can get open or closed. Drop has them now for $479. I realize its much more than $300, and I hope someone has a good recommendation for closed back <$300 because I'd be all in.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #71,983 of 150,081
Thanks for the clearing that up, I didn't know this is fine since I see that Schiit sells quad matched JJ 6SN7s for the Freya

Do those tubes have the same measurement within their pairings?

Yes - each pair is matched.

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #71,984 of 150,081
Okay, that's hilarious and totally made my morning.

Salt Disney
Mary Queen of Salt
Sled Zepplin (sic)
Hello Gritty

And s(n)o on...
On a related topic: an artist in Baltimore started decorating community Salt Boxes - and the city embraced the effort:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryla...-pjyhxzsptfaffj4faoz6y2e7pm-photogallery.html

image.jpeg

Feb 19, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #71,985 of 150,081
After spending some time with my Jotunheim 2, understanding a bit more how the SE and Balanced outputs sound, it reminds me of my tube integrated (not in exact sound but in the feature). My integrated amp has a switch for ultralinear/triode output topologies. Basically two amps in one. Well, maybe 1.5. Not night and day, just different flavors. This brings me to my next thought. If/when you guys drop a mono block amp, it would be pretty damn nice to have a switch on the front to go from full differential output to the terminals to just taking a single phase. It would give the same feature on my tube amp and be something folks could reaaaaally use often. Steve G did a video about his Aegir and running a stereo to running two in mono. I think we can make this happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back