Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #71,942 of 155,083
I started hearing a little static on the left channel of my setup lately, so I swapped some “new” tubes into place on the Freya+ this morning. Let them burn in for a couple hours.

Not only is the static gone, but the sound is overall renewed. Should have done it as soon as I heard something.

New Electro Harmonix Gold Pins on the right / NOS GE on the left.

I've found that static 'appears' after a while too. Giving the tubes a vigorous "shaking" in-situ followed by a position swap usually fixes it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #71,943 of 155,083
I have a friend who lives there. He is from Hawaii. As soon as it snows he gets all excited. I'll stick to enjoying watching the news reporters enter a snow tunnel to arrive at someone's front door, because their house is otherwise buried.
Ms Jody, being San Diego born and bred, will stand at the window and stare on the rare occasions we get snow.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #71,944 of 155,083
Apparently the movie is quite good (one of the transition movies between noir and nouvelle vague) but I never managed to catch it. I've owned several versions or the recordings that got somehow lost along the way, I currently have a digital edition with 26 tracks (curiously the Qobuz version has 27 tracks). Which version did you get?
I haven't been able to find the movie in the NetFlix library and have been reluctant to look for a DVD to purchase. I have the Fontana CD shown in the image I posted.

Hell, our roads don't look that good plowed during a storm. Seriously, that's 70+MPH travel conditions in New England. And the highway is only 2 lanes each way.
Which is exactly why I was happy most everyone in Houston stayed home these past four days. I had reasonably driveable roads almost all to myself.

I like how Texans have turned Texas into some kind of Mad Max apocalyptic hellscape over some cold weather. Put on some gloves you rubes!
... but I had the roads to myself. Let's all us Yankees keep this driving in snow to ourselves. Please.

Is "the" exclusively a SoCal thing? It is not used in Northern California. Is it used elsewhere in the US?
I was gonna, but now I'm going to keep my mouth shut. That topic has taken on a life of its own.

Since I don't cook a brisket that often (a full 16lb cut is not that feasible for 2 people), Santa Maria Tri-Tip is my favorite way to smoke beef. Great stuff. The beans are tasty too.

ed
Sixteen pounds is entirely feasible for two, if one of the two is a teenage boy. You might get some the first day.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #71,945 of 155,083
Speaking of winter roads and Scotland, I've gotten a kick from how they name their road snowplows known as gritters or salters on their tracker page:

And my current fave:

Gritter Thunberg!

https://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab
Gritters are NOT snowploughs. Though they may, depending on location and use case, have a (usually detachable) snowplugh on the front but not always. And not all snowploughs are gritters........

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #71,946 of 155,083
It was above freezing most of the day yesterday in Houston. We've had power for twelve straight hours. First-world luxury, there. Water pressure is still low, too low for a shower. Apparently hoarding and panic buying have the grocery shelves cleared, just like March 2020. I didn't see any ice on in the travel lanes yesterday or today, but there are still some closures on my route to work. I have no explanation for that. I still had fewer than two dozen other cars for company, though, so there is that.

If we have power when I get home, I foresee some head phone time.

If you can't drink the water:
20210217_175343.jpg

The Glenlivet and Tomintoul both had very light mouth feel, crisp and clean flavor and were smoother neat than the Aberfeldy 12 yr. Not as complex as other whiskies I've had (which is not many). The Highland Park was surprising. My first sip had an almost sour note which was most unexpected. I only had a single dram so I can't yet explain what I find different. It does not have the fruit flavors of the Aberlour. It leans more to the "burn" than "warmth" side. Not objectionably so to me, but I prefer the warming sensation Aberlour 16 has. I think Highland Park will prove to be something different than a "variation on a theme". We didn't crack the Aberlour 18 last night. I was going to buy another bottle of 16 yr, but the store I was in was out so I was forced into a bottle of 18 year. Forced.

To put all this into gear terms:
The Glenlivet and Tomintoul are light and airy, with good detail in the highs. Like many comment about the Sennheiser HD800, though, while the high notes are sublime, the foundation is missing.
On first sampling, the Highland Park is kind of jumbled. It will take several outings to sort out what is going on. It may be mid-centric, but with unusual emphases elsewhere in the spectrum leading to a unique signature.
Aberlour 16 yr is liquid and smooth with a good foundation of sweet fruitiness. The highs are a bit spicy, but not at the expense of smoothness. Like its current stablemates in my cupboard there is no peat to be found. That may be missed by some. So far not by me, though I can see myself seeking out a mildly peated whiskey as a compliment to this.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #71,947 of 155,083
I now have proof Schiit gear doesn't sound any better than any other gear during a black-out.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #71,948 of 155,083
It was above freezing most of the day yesterday in Houston. We've had power for twelve straight hours. First-world luxury, there. Water pressure is still low, too low for a shower. Apparently hoarding and panic buying have the grocery shelves cleared, just like March 2020. I didn't see any ice on in the travel lanes yesterday or today, but there are still some closures on my route to work. I have no explanation for that. I still had fewer than two dozen other cars for company, though, so there is that.

If we have power when I get home, I foresee some head phone time.

If you can't drink the water:

The Glenlivet and Tomintoul both had very light mouth feel, crisp and clean flavor and were smoother neat than the Aberfeldy 12 yr. Not as complex as other whiskies I've had (which is not many). The Highland Park was surprising. My first sip had an almost sour note which was most unexpected. I only had a single dram so I can't yet explain what I find different. It does not have the fruit flavors of the Aberlour. It leans more to the "burn" than "warmth" side. Not objectionably so to me, but I prefer the warming sensation Aberlour 16 has. I think Highland Park will prove to be something different than a "variation on a theme". We didn't crack the Aberlour 18 last night. I was going to buy another bottle of 16 yr, but the store I was in was out so I was forced into a bottle of 18 year. Forced.

To put all this into gear terms:
The Glenlivet and Tomintoul are light and airy, with good detail in the highs. Like many comment about the Sennheiser HD800, though, while the high notes are sublime, the foundation is missing.
On first sampling, the Highland Park is kind of jumbled. It will take several outings to sort out what is going on. It may be mid-centric, but with unusual emphases elsewhere in the spectrum leading to a unique signature.
Aberlour 16 yr is liquid and smooth with a good foundation of sweet fruitiness. The highs are a bit spicy, but not at the expense of smoothness. Like its current stablemates in my cupboard there is no peat to be found. That may be missed by some. So far not by me, though I can see myself seeking out a mildly peated whiskey as a compliment to this.
To me, Highland Park tastes best with a little water added--it seems to mellow the "burn" sensation.

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #71,950 of 155,083
I would not be surprised if they decided to limit production so as not to provoke a HD800S reseller insurrection. Queue me up for 2022/23, I guess. :D

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #71,953 of 155,083
Hello. I bought a brand new Schiit Stack (Modi 3+, Magni 3+ and Vali 2+) and I just received it, but, so far, I noticed some small “problems”:

1) I noticed that there were some small “scratches” in all of them and always in the same place (screw hole). I contacted Schiit and they answered that: “Those are common marks. Since they are the result of the anodizing process they will all have that mark”.
1.jpg2.jpg

2) I noticed on it when I went to adjust the volume knob it did not feel smooth when turning it, it felt scratchy when turning it. After some minutes, I realized that the knob was pressed against the chassis of the amp, so I took the knob off and then place the knob back with a little space between the knob and the chassis. Apparently, the problem has been solved.

My question is: Is this really normal with Schiit equipment or I've got bad ones?
*as you may have noticed by my English (hahaha), I am not from the USA, so unfortunately it would be too expensive for me to send them back to replace them.

Thanks.
The anodizing process requires that parts be suspended in an electrolyte bath and the apparatus to hang them can leave dimples in the part.

In my prior life, we would try to find an inconspicuous/inoffensive spot for the dimple or if possible use a section that was machined off later in the process. We got complaints too.

It's the nature of the process and can't be avoided.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #71,955 of 155,083
Yes, you can mix and match pairs of tubes. I believe the right hand pair of tubes are on the input side, and make a greater difference on sound quality. The left pair of tubes are on the output side. I've read those are less critical, and don't need to be premium tubes.

A beautiful preamp too. I wish I was staring at one. It would look so good with my Gungnir! 😍
Ah, but how about mixing and matching within the pair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back