Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #71,851 of 150,865
Not really a Michigan fan unless they are playing OSU. Then I'm a huge fan!

Come on - you gotta admit Wolverines is an awesome name! 😄

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #71,852 of 150,865
Not really a Michigan fan unless they are playing OSU. Then I'm a huge fan!

Come on - you gotta admit Wolverines is an awesome name! 😄
Haha! As real OSU fans will tell you, we cheer for Michigan to win every single game... Except one. I moved to California and somehow married INTO a Michigan family. I don't know how that happened here but there was definitely some Romeo and Juliet going on.

And I do remember when I first moved to California and was SO confused when everyone said THE 15 or THE 5 freeway. Now I don't even give it a second thought. SNL's "Californians" explains it all.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #71,853 of 150,865
(who I still live with because I'm a lunatic who intends to come in with a ton of money down on my first place if I don't buy it outright)
You're smart for that. Don't let anyone tell you it's crazy. The real estate and financial industries (who are the only ones that really benefit from it) have succeeded in normalizing that everyone pay tens (if not hundreds) of thousands in interest in home loan interest over the course of their lives.

You'll absolutely come out ahead by refusing to accept the status quo.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #71,854 of 150,865
Consider that your parents might be moving to get away from you? No offense intended, but COVID may be more manageable in 6 months and you have friends and work in California - much more attractive than Houston, IMO.

Hey, none taken. I've actually been interested in Texas since I was in highschool, so it's not a new fad or anything. I was super excited when my parents said they were considering going there. Sad truth about the friends is I would probably see as much of them in Texas as I did pre-covid, we're all young professionals and some of them are back in school for second degrees, others are already married. So we all keep pretty busy and see one another collectively... half a dozen times a year? As for the work, my company got rid of their offices, we rent 3 rooms that are about the size of a closet in a shared building for filing, but only 4 of us have "office space" there (and that's including the CFO, and not the CEO), compared to offices for about 20 of us a year ago. The company is largely 100% work from home and will be for the foreseeable future. Even if I had to find new work, I'm an accountant. I can find work anywhere I want to be enough.

The real kicker that has me considering leaving CA - I won't speak for my parents - is the housing prices. To put 20% down here on most homes would be between $100K-$200K, which is enough to buy half a house in many other states (and I'm sure still a whole house in a few more). My neighbor who is 10 years my senior and still lives with her parents just bought a "fixer-upper" and it was 600k. She rents it out while saving for the renovations and still lives at with mom and dad.

Forget that. The CA market has spoken and it doesn't want people like me around. For the same money as a down payment here, I can OWN a house outright many other places, or be most of the way to one, Houston among them. The weather isn't as nice, but the weather here isn't THAT nice anymore either - what with the droughts interrupted by bouts of raining ash for two months out of the year.

You're smart for that. Don't let anyone tell you it's crazy. The real estate and financial industries (who are the only ones that really benefit from it) have succeeded in normalizing that everyone pay tens (if not hundreds) of thousands in interest in home loan interest over the course of their lives.

You'll absolutely come out ahead by refusing to accept the status quo.

As I said, above, accountant. I'm inside the industry man. It's how I made this decision.

I'm not a bum though, I pay rent here. Way, way below market for SoCal, but I help out and still can get ahead.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #71,856 of 150,865
Is "the" exclusively a SoCal thing? It is not used in Northern California. Is it used elsewhere in the US?
Here East, we just say the number "took 287 to 684 to 84" unless it's a named road "and then after 84 I got on the pike/masspike"

The thruway, the LIE, the BQE, the parkway, but never an I or a "the" for numbered highways.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #71,858 of 150,865
I know I'm tempting fate here.........

But, I have 7 or RPis as streamer end points and they all work very well. No real issues at all.

Stand back and waits..........
I had one, now I have two more in the mail. Not sure I will run all three, but will be using at least two of them once all the stuff comes in (need a new case for one and I am getting a new HAT and case for the other. My original would probably need a new case and maybe a new HAT if I wanted to put it somewhere, but I do not know where I would want it... maybe the kitchen with a portable speaker).

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #71,859 of 150,865
I love specking out a computer. I love the built too. But, after the O/S is installed and working, I absolutely hate the rest. Configuring software and setting up a network is a pain in my AS*. That's probably the reason I still listen to CD's, and don't stream at home. When I want to hear music, I want it simple. No B/S just to play a song. :angry:

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #71,860 of 150,865
I love specking out a computer. I love the built too. But, after the O/S is installed and working, I absolutely hate the rest. Configuring software and setting up a network is a pain in my AS*. That's probably the reason I still listen to CD's, and don't stream at home. When I want to hear music, I want it simple. No B/S just to play a song. :angry:
Interesting. I found Roon (on a NUC, with addition of Tidal and Qobuz) to be the definition of simplicity. Just works. (For me). Other streaming set ups have driven me bananas. Ymmv but if you can get past the build phase it’s just so much better - and gets back some amount of what I like about perusing record covers / liner notes etc.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #71,861 of 150,865
Interesting. I found Roon (on a NUC, with addition of Tidal and Qobuz) to be the definition of simplicity. Just works. (For me). Other streaming set ups have driven me bananas. Ymmv but if you can get past the build phase it’s just so much better - and gets back some amount of what I like about perusing record covers / liner notes etc.

'Maybe' I'll look into it. But, I hope it's simple, and works the 1st time. I'm getting too old and grumpy to fight software...! :confounded:

Plus, I think I had an epiphany. The thought of ripping my entire CD collection, kind'a creeps me out. It'll make me feel like I'm back at work, when I worked at a CD pressing plant. All those discs will make me feel like I'm transferring CD-R masters, and getting them ready for glass mastering...! By the time our plant closed, we had roughly 65K master tapes; 1630 U-Matic, DAT, 8MM, CD and CD-R, plus an occasional reel to reel. A lot of work, and I handled a great many of them.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #71,864 of 150,865
'Maybe' I'll look into it. But, I hope it's simple, and works the 1st time. I'm getting too old and grumpy to fight software...! :confounded:

Plus, I think I had an epiphany. The thought of ripping my entire CD collection, kind'a creeps me out. It'll make me feel like I'm back at work, when I worked at a CD pressing plant. All those discs will make me feel like I'm transferring CD-R masters, and getting them ready for glass mastering...! By the time our plant closed, we had roughly 65K master tapes; 1630 U-Matic, DAT, 8MM, CD and CD-R, plus an occasional reel to reel. A lot of work, and I handled a great many of them.

And see also: https://darko.audio/2021/02/10-more-thoughts-on-roon-rock-intel-nuc/

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #71,865 of 150,865
Whoa, things are sure rough in Texas right now eh

Now I appreciate Singapore's constant sunny weather (except for the seemingly random rain sometimes) and public transport network a lot more

I lived in Singapore for a while - two seasons: Monsoon, and the rest of the time. Nearly always 32°C, no matter the season. I remember the secretaries would wear sweaters when the temperature dropped to 30 degrees...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back