Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #71,686 of 150,870
One of my favorites:
Oh Good Grief.jpg
Mom introduced me to this when I was in grade school. "Red Baron" is one of my favorite songs on this album.
folder.jpg

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #71,687 of 150,870
Seems like Roon-o-Rama is calming down a bit... there are some DEEPLY disappointed/angry folks still, and I think it’s really interesting... it’s the ’war’ between on one hand the:
  • Collectors of FLACS on local storage (who might also have Tidal/Qobuz as a secondary source)
  • Who curate & tag carefully,
  • Leverage bookmarks & tags & saved focus extensively
  • Collect multiple versions (masters and/or bit depths/sample rates),
  • Use large monitors / TVs to see many many albums at a time
  • Like (or at least are acclimated to) highly information dense representations of their libraries
  • Are more likely to use search
VS.
  • Collectors who are equally likely to stream as to collect FLACs
  • Who use Roon because it takes care of Meta-data for them
  • For whom discovery and “wandering around associations to find new music” is a primary use case
  • Who are more likely to use mobile (especially phone, but also tablet) as remote interface
  • Who may dabble in bookmarks/tagging but it is not a primary use case
  • And who want a ”good version” but are less likely to be completists of rips
It’s really tempting to categorize it as the old school vs. the new sk00l, but I’m not sure it breaks cleanly down on age or time with the Roon platform, though I do think it correlates. And I’m not trying to say that there aren’t some pissed off people in the latter camp whose Roon instance was rendered a brick temporarily by the 1.8 upgrade - there were, and so they are sounding like the first camp. But I do think there’s a break coming in the system and how it’s intended to be used, and I think it’s a fascinating moment in audiophile sociology (And i use the word audiophile loosely because there’s a lot of folks who use Roon for extremely discriminating listening on highly tuned systems, and a lot who like it to just sound pretty darn good). I don’t know if it’s generational, but that’s the best way I have to understand it. And I think I know where most Schiit-heads lean between these two camps, but certainly not all.

Anyways, if you are entertained by watching blood sport, and/or are tempted by Roon and want to see some passionate engagement by users, head over to http://community.Roonlabs.com and grab some popcorn. There is some vitriol flowing in all directions. Not quite a Senate trial, but it’s deeply political and emotional.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #71,688 of 150,870
Beware of rabbits
killerrabbit.JPG
We don't keep such vicious creatures as that in our house. We do; however, have a house bunny:

20181021_080310.jpg

In order to not completely derail the thread from an approved side-topic: our cats are completely flummoxed by Indy. Our hugely fat orange tabby actively avoids him. Our much more petite gray tabby turned her head away when I tried to pet her last night while holding Indy. As if to say, "Not while you're with that you won't." It's strange, we've had bunnies for a long time, we'd have thought the cats would have gotten used to them. Not so much.

Indy has no use for Schiit, and doesn't see the magic of tubes as bunny warmers. But he's cute, so he can stay.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #71,689 of 150,870
Caught the Animals tour at Boston Garden, summer of '77 after my HS graduation. Loved the 60' helium pig. Not my favorite Floyd album, but a great concert.

I caught that tour at Madison Square Garden that summer. A week after the Floyd we were back at the Garden to enjoy Emerson, Lake and Palmer (with full orchestra), and some weeks later for Yes. Prog Summer '77.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #71,690 of 150,870
We don't keep such vicious creatures as that in our house. We do; however, have a house bunny:

20181021_080310.jpg

In order to not completely derail the thread from an approved side-topic: our cats are completely flummoxed by Indy. Our hugely fat orange tabby actively avoids him. Our much more petite gray tabby turned her head away when I tried to pet her last night while holding Indy. As if to say, "Not while you're with that you won't." It's strange, we've had bunnies for a long time, we'd have thought the cats would have gotten used to them. Not so much.

Indy has no use for Schiit, and doesn't see the magic of tubes as bunny warmers. But he's cute, so he can stay.
We got a house bunny in August. Other than losing my audio room he has been a great addition to the family.

We are all allergic to cats and dogs. One thing is our guy doesn't like to be held, but you can pet him for long periods.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #71,691 of 150,870
Beware of rabbits
killerrabbit.JPG

LOL! That's the TX BBQ rabbit. It's still alive because it only ate the grass.

Then there's the audio hole rabbits....all your money are belong to us. :sweat_smile:

1613315294119.png

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #71,693 of 150,870
Seems like Roon-o-Rama is calming down a bit... there are some DEEPLY disappointed/angry folks still, and I think it’s really interesting... it’s the ’war’ between on one hand the:
  • Collectors of FLACS on local storage (who might also have Tidal/Qobuz as a secondary source)
  • Who curate & tag carefully,
  • Leverage bookmarks & tags & saved focus extensively
  • Collect multiple versions (masters and/or bit depths/sample rates),
  • Use large monitors / TVs to see many many albums at a time
  • Like (or at least are acclimated to) highly information dense representations of their libraries
  • Are more likely to use search
VS.
  • Collectors who are equally likely to stream as to collect FLACs
  • Who use Roon because it takes care of Meta-data for them
  • For whom discovery and “wandering around associations to find new music” is a primary use case
  • Who are more likely to use mobile (especially phone, but also tablet) as remote interface
  • Who may dabble in bookmarks/tagging but it is not a primary use case
  • And who want a ”good version” but are less likely to be completists of rips
It’s really tempting to categorize it as the old school vs. the new sk00l, but I’m not sure it breaks cleanly down on age or time with the Roon platform, though I do think it correlates. And I’m not trying to say that there aren’t some pissed off people in the latter camp whose Roon instance was rendered a brick temporarily by the 1.8 upgrade - there were, and so they are sounding like the first camp. But I do think there’s a break coming in the system and how it’s intended to be used, and I think it’s a fascinating moment in audiophile sociology (And i use the word audiophile loosely because there’s a lot of folks who use Roon for extremely discriminating listening on highly tuned systems, and a lot who like it to just sound pretty darn good). I don’t know if it’s generational, but that’s the best way I have to understand it. And I think I know where most Schiit-heads lean between these two camps, but certainly not all.

Anyways, if you are entertained by watching blood sport, and/or are tempted by Roon and want to see some passionate engagement by users, head over to http://community.Roonlabs.com and grab some popcorn. There is some vitriol flowing in all directions. Not quite a Senate trial, but it’s deeply political and emotional.

Any change is hard. Interface / UI changes especially so. I'm a Roon fan and - in general - love it. They don't help themselves though. They pitch as a high-end solution but do a poor job of communicating and (in my experience) of upgrades and identifying and fixing obscure bugs / idiosyncracies.

I can now stream again after making no apparent changes (other than rebooting my router - even though internet was working).

I THINK I'm getting used the interface, but finding library / Qobuz versions was a challenge yesterday ..........

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #71,694 of 150,870
More Floyd here. I'm a Gilmour fan. The guitar solos he created over the years are still the most unique and memorable of ALL the guitar solos we have been given.

A suggested work – especially for us old guys who like to think we still have it – is the David Gilmour in Concert DVD. It is a wonderful gathering of Pink Floyd works woven together with other material, and moves from a solo Gilmour doing wonderful things on guitar to a full band with a cracking vocal group and an amazing cellist. David's voice is not always what it was, but that's the "old guy" promise kicking in – don't just sit down. Keep it going!

1613322289628.png

The DVD audio is 24-bit and sounds wonderful played through a BF2 and Jot2 into Sennheisers. The DVDs are easily available and probably in abundance in used record stores.

Try it out. Enjoy!

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #71,695 of 150,870
finding library / Qobuz versions was a challenge yesterday ..........
You mean beyond the little Qobuz logo it places in the corner of the graphic on any Qobuz selection?
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #71,696 of 150,870
I THINK I'm getting used the interface, but finding library / Qobuz versions was a challenge yesterday ..........

Roon's Focus applied in the right place should do it.... We lost internet much of the day yesterday, so in order to just look at locally stored content, I applied Focus starting at My Artists, it's a bit subtle but scrolling right will eventually reveal:
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 9.31.42 AM.png

Obviously you could select by streaming service, or anything else that comes to mind. (I can imagine Ableza asking for a NOT EQUAL focus option to filter out Floyd....... :wink: )

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #71,697 of 150,870
Plus if you select an album and click on "Versions" you can see what's in your library and what is available from Qobuz, and if the Qobuz version has been added to your library.

Capture.JPG

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #71,698 of 150,870
Plus if you select an album and click on "Versions" you can see what's in your library and what is available from Qobuz, and if the Qobuz version has been added to your library.

Capture.JPG
Ah, Bingo! That did it, but I'm not seeing the icons - which I DID have set previously - on the thumbnail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.38.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.38.38 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.39.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.39.12 PM.png
    6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #71,699 of 150,870
Hmm, so that Paul Desmond album is added to your library from Qobuz? Let me locate it and see if it comes into my library with the icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back