Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #70,531 of 150,636
I had a lawn. I forgot to have kids.

The lawn is cheaper. It doesn't lose cell phones, talk back, and you can hose it down with Roundup if it pisses you off. Good choice. :smile:

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #70,532 of 150,636
Hello! I am new to the audio world, and l am wondering which Schiit amp in the $100-200 range compliments 6xx best. I am leaning towards Asgard 3 or Vali 2+ based off reviews, but I’m not sure. Do different amps even make a noticeable difference to an inexperienced listener?
You can get a close out Asgard 2 for $119. It’s a great amp with my HD600

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #70,533 of 150,636
Hello! I am new to the audio world, and l am wondering which Schiit amp in the $100-200 range compliments 6xx best. I am leaning towards Asgard 3 or Vali 2+ based off reviews, but I’m not sure. Do different amps even make a noticeable difference to an inexperienced listener?
Never heard the Vali but had the Valhalla 2 for Hi-Z Senns and Beyers; moved to the Asgard 3 and really like it with 6XX.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #70,534 of 150,636
Never heard the Vali but had the Valhalla 2 for Hi-Z Senns and Beyers; moved to the Asgard 3 and really like it with 6XX.

From the opposite perspective I have the Vali 2 but have never heard the Asgard 3, and the 6XX pairs quite nicely with the Vali 2 as well. I don't have the (newest) Vali 2+, but imagine the pairing with it wouldn't be substantially different. You'll get more power into the 300 ohm impedance of the 6XX's with the Asgard 3, but the 400mw the Vali 2 puts out into 300 ohms is plenty sufficient to get to very loud listening levels with the high sensitivity of the 6XX's. You also get the ability to fine tune the sound with the Vali 2 by trying different tubes, although the seemingly infinite size of that rabbit hole is legendary. :smile:

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #70,535 of 150,636

Take this question to it's simplest form: Do you want to try tubes or not? If you have any interest in tubes, hearing what they can do, or how different tubes change the sound, then get the Vali.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #70,536 of 150,636
Take this question to it's simplest form: Do you want to try tubes or not? If you have any interest in tubes, hearing what they can do, or how different tubes change the sound, then get the Vali.
The Vali is certainly a great starting point and it can use 6sn7 equivalent tubes. The Lyr 3 and Freya + use the 6sn7 as well. Tubes can be very expensive but Fotons from the fifties can still be bought at reasonable prices as well as single triode tubes such as 6j5's and 7A4's.
IMG_0587.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #70,537 of 150,636
The Vali is certainly a great starting point and it can use 6sn7 equivalent tubes. The Lyr 3 and Freya + use the 6sn7 as well. Tubes can be very expensive but Fotons from the fifties can still be bought at reasonable prices as well as single triode tubes such as 6j5's and 7A4's.
IMG_0587.jpg

And even a $5 Frankentube... :smile:

Seriously, my audio addiction was focused solely on a full size 2-channel system until a few years ago when I got into headphones. The Vali 2 and a Modi Multibit were my first purchases to explore this exciting new world. I upgraded to the Lyr 3 after a bit and sold the Vali 2 to a friend, but ended up missing it enough that I snagged another when one popped up in B-stock. No question the Lyr 3 is better, but the Vali 2 is an outstanding little amp...it just happens to be inexpensive too. :smile:

Vali and Frank.jpg

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #70,538 of 150,636
And even a $5 Frankentube... :smile:

Seriously, my audio addiction was focused solely on a full size 2-channel system until a few years ago when I got into headphones. The Vali 2 and a Modi Multibit were my first purchases to explore this exciting new world. I upgraded to the Lyr 3 after a bit and sold the Vali 2 to a friend, but ended up missing it enough that I snagged another when one popped up in B-stock. No question the Lyr 3 is better, but the Vali 2 is an outstanding little amp...it just happens to be inexpensive too. :smile:

Vali and Frank.jpg
Frankentube is a cognomen Mr. Cowen applied to a specific loktal 6sn7 equivalent and you best get with him before trying to buy one lol.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #70,539 of 150,636
There is no fun in having the right choice right away. And there is no "the best". Start the journey and don't hold back.
Your ears and your experience are your only trustworthy reviewers.
In a year (or so) try some other Schiit gear. Who knows what Jason has come up with.
Have fun

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #70,540 of 150,636

If you dont have a dac to pair with your amp, I strongly suggest you buy one.

Modi 3+ and a Magni 3+ will be a fantastic little stack for the 6xxs. For 198 plus tax and shipping.

if you dont care so much about the stacks matching, a closeout Asgard 2 and a Modi 3+ would also make a terrific combo.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #70,541 of 150,636
There is no fun in having the right choice right away. And there is no "the best".

Agree with the latter; not so much with the former.

Different strokes for different folks, but I hate when I have something that I know is not my endgame and I spend time wondering how much better the endgame would be instead of enjoying my music. I'm much happier now that I've got my endgame setup than I ever was when it comes to this hobby.

Of course "best", "endgame", and the like are all very subjective.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #70,542 of 150,636
Just got the Vali2+ and I like it a lot. But NOT with the standard tube. The first tube was barely working and the replacement works fine, but I'm not impressed. In my Vali 2 I had a Sylvania and that sounds fantastic in the 2+. Fed by Modi MB.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #70,543 of 150,636
Agree with the latter; not so much with the former.

Different strokes for different folks, but I hate when I have something that I know is not my endgame and I spend time wondering how much better the endgame would be instead of enjoying my music. I'm much happier now that I've got my endgame setup than I ever was when it comes to this hobby.

Of course "best", "endgame", and the like are all very subjective.
You have to do a lot of listening to a lot of different equipment in order to find out what is right for you. I have a Bifrost 2, Gungnir, and a multibit card in a Lyr 3 and have owned all of the Schiit tube products other than the Saga. I design and build my own class A tube headphone amps and power amps to my personal likes yet even with those I make tweaks that I might like better than previous versions. No matter what equipment you own, there may still be something out there you will like better. :L3000:

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #70,544 of 150,636
Just got the Vali2+ and I like it a lot. But NOT with the standard tube. The first tube was barely working and the replacement works fine, but I'm not impressed. In my Vali 2 I had a Sylvania and that sounds fantastic in the 2+. Fed by Modi MB.
There are limited choices when you manufacture tube amps, only so many new types are being made. Selling in the quantity Schiit does, they have to find them in large quantities. For a while I believe they used some Fotons but you cannot buy those 1,000 at a time that I know of. I have built a few things for friends and I can search for specific tubes I like in the amps but I just have to be able to find 5-10 at a time but that is getting harder and harder to do.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #70,545 of 150,636
Thanks for all the replies. I was going to try using my Motu M2 as a dac early on. Should I assume it won’t be sufficient? If so, I’ll go ahead and order a dac as well. As far as amps I think I’m going to go with the Asgard first. And I’ll get the Vali later this year so I can experiment with tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back