Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #70,098 of 150,611
I heard some Enrico Caruso (died 1921) recordings that were transcribed to CDs. I don’t remember if they were sourced from Berliner discs or some other format, but they were scratchy with a very narrow dynamic range and frequency. They were sublime and hinted at why he was the worlds most celebrated tenor in his time.

This is something that I use to ( somewhat troll-ishly, I admit ) challenge audiophiles - classical historical recordings - sublime interpretations, poor sound. And surprisingly, I have found out, the result is 50-50 - yes too high, imho, but better than expected - yes, about half of the responses to the actual issue admit that they cannot get past bad sound - rather have modern sound. But again, about half indeed agree - interpretation over sound...

Why "responses to the actual issue" ? well - admitting that many get upset at the veiled "you really don't care about the music" accusation in the prompt... :D - I said it was troll-ish! - I know audiophiles get accused of that all the time... even by Alan Parsons! :D

v

Jan 12, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #70,099 of 150,611
ITunes uses the Gracenote database, which is crowd-sourced. I have a lot of obscure indie CDS from the 80s, and I have submitted their metadata to gracenote. Usually I don't like doing work for free, because of course they turn around and sell what I've done for them, but in this case I have had a couple of occasions when my itune back up failed and I needed to re rip CDS. I was glad to have my work preserved somewhere out there with the correct data for my stuff.

But the quality is exactly what you would expect from randos on the web. Not Apple's fault (in this case).

I use dBpoweramp for my CD ripping. It has the ability to get meta-data from Discogs, GD3, MusicBrainz and freedb which are all, to some extent, crowd-sourced. Some are better than others but it's definitely best practice to pay attention when ripping CDs, no matter which ripping software is used.

db.png

Oh, and

Q.jpg
:L3000:
TX.jpg

Make your own:

https://www.acme.com/licensemaker/licensemaker.cgi?state=Texas&text=GR8+BBQ&plate=2000&r=122009294

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #70,100 of 150,611
Welcome, and ... Great avatar!
:)

Thank you very much! Long time lurker. Discovering this schiit thread has made me a life long customer for sure. As soon as work picks back up when the pandemic eases, I'll be making some large acquisitions. My little stack is a bit embarrassing compared to other thread members extensive collections of schiit-y equipment.

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #70,103 of 150,611
Desperately wanted to help @bcowen make the case for NC BBQ but all I found was this :cry:

NCT.png

ROFL! I'll begrudgingly admit that even TX BBQ is preferable to that. But then so is instant annihilation of the entire universe. :smile: :smile:

Jan 12, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #70,104 of 150,611
This is something that I use to ( somewhat troll-ishly, I admit ) challenge audiophiles - classical historical recordings - sublime interpretations, poor sound. And surprisingly, I have found out, the result is 50-50 - yes too high, imho, but better than expected - yes, about half of the responses to the actual issue admit that they cannot get past bad sound - rather have modern sound. But again, about half indeed agree - interpretation over sound...

A recent release that has a fantastic performance is the Thelonious Monk Palo Alto concert from 1968. This was a one off concert organized by a high school student at Palo Alto HS. The concert was recorded by an amateur (the school custodian). It’s not clear what recording equipment was used - but...it’s not awesome sound quality. The tunes though...what a great performance. No problem for me getting past the sonics.

FWIW, the kid went on to become a well-known Bay Area promoter and music industry guy.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #70,105 of 150,611
Jan 12, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #70,106 of 150,611
A recent release that has a fantastic performance is the Thelonious Monk Palo Alto concert from 1968. This was a one off concert organized by a high school student at Palo Alto HS. The concert was recorded by an amateur (the school custodian). It’s not clear what recording equipment was used - but...it’s not awesome sound quality. The tunes though...what a great performance. No problem for me getting past the sonics.

FWIW, the kid went on to become a well-known Bay Area promoter and music industry guy.

The LP comes with reprints of the show's program, and the poster advertising the event. I wasn't expecting that, very cool!

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #70,107 of 150,611
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #70,108 of 150,611

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #70,110 of 150,611
Vidars showed up, all I and Wall-E can say is "awesome" - will get 'em hooked up tmw
I gave up and a used Vidar is inbound. With an extra Eitr and god knows what else, some kind of headphone adapter to the Vidar. What did I do?
Why "responses to the actual issue" ? well - admitting that many get upset at the veiled "you really don't care about the music" accusation in the prompt... :D - I said it was troll-ish! - I know audiophiles get accused of that all the time... even by Alan Parsons! :D
I was talking with a buddy outside the university building we chose to lurk around (we were both social science majors) and a woman is talking to us about gear. And she says, "you must really love music" to spend that much thought and money on gear.

I stopped, and looked at her, and in all seriousness explained, "If I cared about music, I'd go see live music. I'd play music. I don't like music. I care about gear. I enjoy listening to music knowing it sounds better because of my gear." People who care about music discuss music. People who care about gear discuss gear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back