Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #69,151 of 155,156
Yours and Jason's timing couldn't be any better since I was just going to make a reference to the chart position!
Cheers and Happy New Year! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Jason needs a 2nd avatar picture. One where he looks very scary, when he's not happy! I bet he could pull it off, cause I'm afraid, and he's still smiling...! :scream:

Dec 28, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #69,152 of 155,156
I've been looking at old and new head amps. Just Schiit, since I like to support the little guy, and I'm a loyal buyer. As such, I've been hunting. I found a Lyr 2 that seems interesting. Found positive reviews on it. But, I also wish Schiit could keep a section on their site for Archived Gear. A list of discontinued products and their specs. Just like their current gear. Schiit has a great resale value, and a way to look up past products would be very helpful.

maybe Schiit (when things get a little less hectic) could create an Archives tab, turn the product pages into pdf's and watermark "Out of Production" across the pages so someone doesn't try and place an order for a Lyr 1, Bifrost Uber, etc...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #69,153 of 155,156
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #69,154 of 155,156
I found this thread a month or 2 ago and have enjoyed catching up on a decade of Schiit. I've read all of the chapters (almost, I never did find the last part of the coaster/engineering series) but not much of the remaining 4600 pages. My goal was to get caught up before the end of the year and , yippee, i finally did it. One thing in particular stuck with me. I seem to have had the same childhood.
(Or, as my wife might say, a bit more snarkily: breaking schiit and putting it back together again. I arguably started my career in electronics by taking apart my dad’s portable reel-to-reel dictation machine when I was, like, 4. I couldn’t put it back together. That didn’t go so well. It’s arguably not that much different today, except I usually start with my own stuff, and I’m a bit better at improving it.)
I'm not sure how old I was when I started taking things apart but my parents say I started with the turntable in their console stereo. My earliest memory of this destruction was the time my mother found me sitting on the floor in front of the dryer, surrounded by parts that had once been her vacuum cleaner. She yelled a bit and finally ended with "wait 'til your father gets home" and sent me to my room. In my 6 or-so year-old mind there was only one thing to do. I snuck out of my room, back to the scene of the crime, and put the heavy chrome Electrolux back together. When my father got home the thing was not just back together, it actually worked. Dad looked at mom, mom looked shocked, the only evidence that the vacuum had been taken apart was the spring loaded retractable cord that refused to retract the last foot and a half of cord. That cord really bugged my mother, she reminded me of it regularly. A few years later I got so sick of hearing about it that I took it apart again and fixed it.
I continued to take stuff apart and, as long as I put it back together, i didn't get in trouble. This taught me one important lesson. "Pay attention to how things come apart."

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #69,155 of 155,156
maybe Schiit (when things get a little less hectic) could create an Archives tab, turn the product pages into pdf's and watermark "Out of Production" across the pages so someone doesn't try and place an order for a Lyr 1, Bifrost Uber, etc...
In the meantime, you may be able to use the Wayback Machine (archive.org) to retrieve older versions of the product pages.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #69,156 of 155,156
I've been looking at old and new head amps. Just Schiit, since I like to support the little guy, and I'm a loyal buyer. As such, I've been hunting. I found a Lyr 2 that seems interesting. Found positive reviews on it. But, I also wish Schiit could keep a section on their site for Archived Gear. A list of discontinued products and their specs. Just like their current gear. Schiit has a great resale value, and a way to look up past products would be very helpful.

Here you go. https://archive.org/web/

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #69,158 of 155,156
In the meantime, you may be able to use the Wayback Machine (archive.org) to retrieve older versions of the product pages.

Thanks guys,

I was aware of the Wayback Machine, as I did watch Sherman and Mr. Peabody, and I have used it. But, it's not always reliable. Some captures don't contain active links, which is very frustrating, since the deeper layers of a site are what I usually need. :confounded:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #69,159 of 155,156
Got home late from work today but my Jot 2 was waiting at the door. Currently A/Bing it with the old Jot and using the balanced out with Aeolus headphones. Both fed by the Bifrost 2. So far I don't think it blows away the old Jot, but that was a pretty damn fine amp in a lot of ways. The old one definitely still sounds pretty good. But I do think the 2 is a step up. I probably need a lot more time to really evaluate it...maybe my best amp now? I wonder if I don't already like it better than the Lyr 3??? And I really like that too.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #69,160 of 155,156
Greetings, fellow quarantine inmates. As a pandemic coping strategy, I invested in some new hi-fi kit this fall. I'm rediscovering Paul Simon's Graceland right now, thanks to a very sweet entry level (?) Schiit + Grado setup:
  • Schiit Vali 2+
  • Schitt Modi 3+
  • Grado SR80
Advice on impedance matching would be appreciated. Lo gain or Hi gain on the Vali?

The SR80's are rated for 32 ohms, I believe. I think they are 20 years old now - original SR80's, not the newer SR80e's.

I actually think the sound is a hair livelier on Hi gain, but then I have to be very judicious with the volume control. Or maybe it's all in my head. I might not have a refined enough "ear" to catch the impedance matching difference.

Also, if you haven't listened to Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes in a while, it's one hell of a a good recording. h/t to Hanz Beekhuyzen for recommending it as a demo track.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #69,161 of 155,156
I wonder if I don't already like it better than the Lyr 3???
That's strong praise. The Lyr 3 with any of these tubes but especially the "Treasure Globe" was my favorite headamp until I fell down a rabbit hole to a (much pricier) lost world of hand-made, no longer in production, tube amps. The Lyr 3 was the only amp I had then that handled with equal authority demanding planars like Ether C Flow and Æon, as well as higher-end dynamics like ZMF Verité. I had owned an original Jotunheim before the Lyr 3, and the step up was major.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #69,162 of 155,156
That's strong praise. The Lyr 3 with any of these tubes but especially the "Treasure Globe" was my favorite headamp until I fell down a rabbit hole to a (much pricier) lost world of hand-made, no longer in production, tube amps. The Lyr 3 was the only amp I had then that handled with equal authority demanding planars like Ether C Flow and Æon, as well as higher-end dynamics like ZMF Verité. I had owned an original Jotunheim before the Lyr 3, and for the the step up was major.
To be fair, I’m pretty sure I’ve only used the stock Tung-Sol tube in the Lyr 3.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #69,163 of 155,156
Probably not *convenient* - but hey, it works
https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://schiit.com

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #69,164 of 155,156
Greetings, fellow quarantine inmates. As a pandemic coping strategy, I invested in some new hi-fi kit this fall. I'm rediscovering Paul Simon's Graceland right now, thanks to a very sweet entry level (?) Schiit + Grado setup:
  • Schiit Vali 2+
  • Schitt Modi 3+
  • Grado SR80
Advice on impedance matching would be appreciated. Lo gain or Hi gain on the Vali?

The SR80's are rated for 32 ohms, I believe. I think they are 20 years old now - original SR80's, not the newer SR80e's.

I actually think the sound is a hair livelier on Hi gain, but then I have to be very judicious with the volume control. Or maybe it's all in my head. I might not have a refined enough "ear" to catch the impedance matching difference.

Also, if you haven't listened to Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes in a while, it's one hell of a a good recording. h/t to Hanz Beekhuyzen for recommending it as a demo track.

welcome to the Schiit thread. cats, whiskey, and sometimes discussions about audio. :)

IMO:
With Vali 2+, the output impedance difference between the two gain settings is likely to be less than 0.3dB at the SR80 resonance frequency. finding the right volume setting is more critical, so I would recommend the low gain setting to dial in just the right volume setting as human perception of bass varies with volume level.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #69,165 of 155,156
I believe this has already been addressed a few months ago. I believe @Jason Stoddard has said curating an historical lilbrary would be more trouble than the company is willing to go to. He did offer the job to a volunteer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back