Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #68,732 of 150,816
I've been out of the game for a while but one of the best sounding low-priced powered monitors were the HR series from Mackie. Worth checking oout by anyone in the market for powered monitors.

I have some long unused Meyer Sound HD-1 mastering monitors. I should build a Schiit balanced system around them. :L3000:

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #68,733 of 150,816
Still it does make me wonder what kinds of distortions are introduced, especially on low freq 'loud' dynamic peaks (e.g. think cannon shots in the 1812 overture, or some EDM for example).
I have no idea, since neither EDM nor the 1812 are on may play rotation :wink: One thing to keep in mind is that Linn uses DSP tuned to the particular speaker system—for their own speakers, tuned to the actual speaker serial # — and separate DACs for each speaker, so they can do subtle adjustments to the physical system as well as to room modes. Their latest room optimization uses time-domain analysis to reduce phase distortion. It sounds amazing once you go through a couple of days of room measurement and experimental search for optimal positioning...

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #68,734 of 150,816
As I'm sure most who are discussing it know, the reason the Telarc 1812 recording was so unique for its time was the dynamic range they were able to capture. It's about 45db, at least +10db more than a typical vinyl pressing, which means it sounded twice as loud as the normal loudest passage on an LP, and it required 10X the amplifier power to reproduce accurately. Not to mention that if you weren't using a very accurate turntable with a relatively heavy tracking stylus, you might not be able to play it at all. Did it introduce additional distortions? Sure. Plus it made all the normal noise inherent in playing back a vinyl LP louder. But it really was thrilling hearing it for the first time on a good stereo. As was hearing Manheim Steamroller's "Fresh Aire II" for the first time, although for less bombastic reasons. :)

Dec 21, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #68,735 of 150,816
Dec 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #68,736 of 150,816
Yes they do. And most of their stuff is also made in the USA. But their CR-1 is $3000. And currently there really isn't any other all-analog sub crossover that's less expensive.]
Marchand makes lots of less expensive analog crossovers. Most are adjustable by swapping resistors or something.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #68,738 of 150,816
Has there ever been talk of a SYS in the medium case so it could stack with Lyr, Bifrost, etc.? In my perfect world it be a balanced and single ended switcher with no volume.
I've wondered if there's any interest in a SAGA an FREYA with multiple inputs and outputs.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #68,739 of 150,816
I've wondered if there's any interest in a SAGA an FREYA with multiple inputs and outputs.
Hmm, looks to me like they already have that functionality...?

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #68,740 of 150,816
Does anyone know if optional DAC module in Jot 2 is as good as a standalone DAC (Magnius)?

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #68,741 of 150,816
As I'm sure most who are discussing it know, the reason the Telarc 1812 recording was so unique for its time was the dynamic range they were able to capture. It's about 45db, at least +10db more than a typical vinyl pressing, which means it sounded twice as loud as the normal loudest passage on an LP, and it required 10X the amplifier power to reproduce accurately. Not to mention that if you weren't using a very accurate turntable with a relatively heavy tracking stylus, you might not be able to play it at all. Did it introduce additional distortions? Sure. Plus it made all the normal noise inherent in playing back a vinyl LP louder. But it really was thrilling hearing it for the first time on a good stereo. As was hearing Manheim Steamroller's "Fresh Aire II" for the first time, although for less bombastic reasons. :)

I was selling hi-fi in those days. We (tried to) use the Telarc 1812 recording for demo purposes. Well, sure. It did make a loud THUD on most systems. But seriously, look at the physical requirement to produce that historic pressing!

Attachments

• 1812Overture-1.jpg
    1812Overture-1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 21, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #68,742 of 150,816
Does anyone know if optional DAC module in Jot 2 is as good as a standalone DAC (Magnius)?

I think if you are going for performance you want a standalone dac, like Modius or Bifrost 2.

If you are more concerned about all in one the dac cards are your choice. The DAC cards sound good but only one input, vs 3 on the separates. I have a multibit card in the Ragnarok 2 that I bought. Its nice. I also own Bifrost 2, Modi Multibit, Modi 3. They are better then the card. IMO.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #68,743 of 150,816
I'm an audiophile a long times and the first time I heard someone complain about the switch on the back is on this forum.
In "hi end" the switch always tends to be where it has the shortest path to the mains input. So; on the back.
This is the first forum I know of where clients try to de-valuate their stuff to a tier below.
Amazing.
Always seemed to me to make more sense on the back, I figure Jason might know a thing or two about this but I could be quite mistaken.

I am a piece of crap.

However, many forums have people trying to de-valuate their stuff ... look at all the spec guys willing to trade down based on a something that happens right of 3 zeros east of the decimal point.

Dec 21, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #68,744 of 150,816
I was selling hi-fi in those days. We (tried to) use the Telarc 1812 recording for demo purposes. Well, sure. It did make a loud THUD on most systems. But seriously, look at the physical requirement to produce that historic pressing!
I had a HK linear ... it played the cannons through my new polks I got with money selling weed. Played it so loud, I got thrown out of the house. At 16. Oops.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #68,745 of 150,816
I think if you are going for performance you want a standalone dac, like Modius or Bifrost 2.

If you are more concerned about all in one the dac cards are your choice. The DAC cards sound good but only one input, vs 3 on the separates. I have a multibit card in the Ragnarok 2 that I bought. Its nice. I also own Bifrost 2, Modi Multibit, Modi 3. They are better then the card. IMO.
I have Jotunheim with True Multibit DAC and a Modius DAC. I prefer the Modius, Schiit Unison USB may have a little to do with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back