Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #68,626 of 150,507
LOL, we're actually installing security/storm shutters as part of the buildout. The parking lot is a total mess, too (I mean, like it might swallow a Smart/Fit/Bolt), so that's getting redone as well. And a couple of other tweaks. It'll be our first building with a defined production flow, and a panopticon production office (not evil, just kinda the way it is built.)

Have a flag with the Schiit logo made, flying under the Starts & Stripes, and TX Lone Star flags of course.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #68,627 of 150,507
OMG. What a splendiferous piece of technology! It's as if Jason read my mind and then said 'Pffft. I can do better than that!'. 😏

I shall take a portion of my daughter's college tuition and hand Schiit the money. 15 credit hours is too much anyway. 12 sounds more reasonable. 😄

just get to her apply at Schiit Texas :thinking: (college is over-rated...don't need no fancy book learnin')-- she can earn some college money, and get items for your 'evaluation' at employee discount.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #68,628 of 150,507
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #68,631 of 150,507
Unison Modi Multibit right? :wink:
Well, I don't know. Since he's working on it personally, I have no idea what extra goodies he's packing in there.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #68,632 of 150,507
Well, I don't know. Since he's working on it personally, I have no idea what extra goodies he's packing in there.

He's been in the restroom all night after eating TX BBQ for dinner. :grinning: :laughing: :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #68,633 of 150,507
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #68,634 of 150,507
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #68,635 of 150,507
Great 1 = my Heretic and Lyr 3 showed up and I was able to mess around RCA cabling.
Great 2 = my new Lyr rings like a bell whenever I use its switches. I'm guessing it the tube detecting vibration. Interesting!
Great 3 = my new Heretic is an odd beast. I can't put my finger on it; however, I detect something (sound quality) being different between it and my other existing headamps.
Damn 1 = my Ether C cable shorted-out. Right speaker went silent. Then both went silent (with intermittent sound when I wiggled the plug-in). The metal prong isn't snug with the plastic sheath - yep. Shorted out.
Damn 2 = I now have a hum in the background. Ah, ground-loops.
We'll see = I've contacted DanClarkAudio and see what they can do for me about a failed cable (<1 year old). I removed my bird's nest of RCA cables. I'm trying some cable management behind my listening nook. I'll reassemble signal paths... 1 series at a time.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #68,636 of 150,507
He's been in the restroom all night after eating TX BBQ for dinner. :grinning: :laughing: :grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Actually, I hope one of the things @Jason Stoddard is busy with is personally directing things in Corpus Christi and working on my Modi MB JS-Special Edition in his spare time. Once he gets some TX BBQ for dinner, I may get Analog Devices AD5791 DACs in my Modi.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #68,637 of 150,507
Jason,

A question several people have asked me about the Jotenheim is when does the amp move from pure Class A into Class AB?

If you can share this info great...

Thanks
Alex

Interesting question. I think most of these small HP / Pre amps run class A all the way to clipping (but I may be wrong). Maybe there is something about the Nexus / Super Continuity processes that doesn't allow for that.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #68,638 of 150,507
Great 2 = my new Lyr rings like a bell whenever I use its switches. I'm guessing it the tube detecting vibration. Interesting!

Microphonic tube most likely. Not an uncommon thing. Won't hurt anything to use it (other than being bothersome) until Schiit can send you a replacement.

Damn 1 = my Ether C cable shorted-out. Right speaker went silent. Then both went silent (with intermittent sound when I wiggled the plug-in). The metal prong isn't snug with the plastic sheath - yep. Shorted out.

I've had 2 pairs of Aeons and never had any issue with either, but from everything I've seen DCA's customer service is at the same high level as Schiit's so I'm sure they'll get you taken care of quickly.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #68,639 of 150,507
And, because we love you/I am insane, here's a peek at Lokiest (whatever we call it, it won't be that. At least I don't think so.)

No, we won't use those knobs. They will be proper machined knobs.

And yeah, those are relay potentiometers (very different than a relay ladder attenuator) and custom 80% nickel-core inductors.

IMG_0801.jpeg
Yes. Yes. But can it play Crysis? {{droll comment from video game players}}. Seriously, I can appreciate why it must cost more than the Loki Mini. Thanks for sharing, sir.

Dec 20, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #68,640 of 150,507
I agree @Ableza
....{{{snip}}}}...A Hi Fi reviewer in the UK ( 'The British Audiophile') recently asked a number of designers at the main loudspeaker manufacturers about their views on active speakers.....{{{{snip}}}...Every one of them, even those which don't offer active speakers, said they are inherently superior to passives.
Whenever I think about active loudspeakers, I have memories of powered computer speakers. Logitech. Dell. We have several of them at work in the classrooms... in different stages of failure. We rattle them around on AV trolleys so I'm unsuprised at their high failure rate (or their transformer HUMMMMM). Those are cheaply made... I'm certain the ones you are referring to are significantly better quality. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back