Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 18, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #68,461 of 155,165
In the U.S., 1 pint = 473.1765 ml.
An imperial pint is 570 ml.
Using the imperial pint measurement you got screwed out of nearly 100 ml.
100 ml is something less than 1/2 cup
1/2 cup is barely a swig, at least in Texas. (Sorry, there is no universally accepted swig conversion factor)
So, yeah, you got robbed.

I like the half a cup = a swig. Sounds about right. I think I'm going to get me a swig of rum ... Hahaha!
PS. Rum can be equally as good a mod as scotch

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #68,462 of 155,165
Did you get rid of the Mini? If so just curious why.

Also curious to hear what you think of the Jot 2 compared to the Mini.

I'm downgrading actually, not because the Mini isn't great- quite the opposite. I mostly listen nearfield and having a piece of gear like that sit mostly doesn't seem fitting.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #68,463 of 155,165
I bought some Alesmith IPA (Brewed in San Diego) last week and it says on the can it's 1 pint. Bah humbug ... it's really only 473ml when I look at the locally added sticker (for local regs) on the back. I missed out on nearly 100ml of ale. In what world is 473ml a pint?

pint.jpg

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #68,464 of 155,165
Now that the "Lokiest" is being mentioned, do you all think it is better to hold out for that, or get the Loki Mini first?

Or, simply wait for the existance of a "Loki that has more knobs than the Mini but has less knobs than the Lokiest but yet cost reasonable and still usable"?

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #68,465 of 155,165
I don't understand why people need so much powerful amps. my jds atom, in low gain, with hd6xx can leave me deaf for the rest of my life has more than enough power... i guess planars and 600 ohms and what not, but still, i do not see the point on people requesting so much power. Hope the knob can be used all the way... waiting for reviewers.

Seems like an awesome option for a balanced amp + pre amp and even more, great price, great knob. Waiting for sound signature review. a crtain sound signature might work for a certain headphone, but not for a certain external amp or studio monitors... curious. SHAME NO REAL DISTRIBUTOR IN EUROPE, CAN'T EVEN GET A MAGNIUS HERE.
I find the first watt philosophy fascinating... especially with listeners (such as myself) that have to stick with headphones. I calculated my power needs with Currawong's calculator. Everything... except perhaps my DT800 (600 ohm?) headphones are easily driven by my kit (and that's without me firing up my mighty Magni 3).

So, why do I want watts upon watts of power? :ksc75smile:

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #68,466 of 155,165
Now that the "Lokiest" is being mentioned, do you all think it is better to hold out for that, or get the Loki Mini first?

Or, simply wait for the existance of a "Loki that has more knobs than the Mini but has less knobs than the Lokiest but yet cost reasonable and still usable"?
I'd try the Loki Mini first. It's price makes it a good "gateway" analogue tone control. I enjoy mine... as its main task is to correct wonky recordings on my various headphones.

Dec 18, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #68,467 of 155,165
I'm not a headphone guy so asking just out of curiosity. Can a Vali 2 drive the HD 6xx in a satisfying way? Or is it too underpowered?
Easily. I don't underestimate my littler toaster! :)

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #68,469 of 155,165
One day the myth of higher-power-equals-better will die, but likely not in my lifetime.
I agree @Ableza
There is a case for decent reserves of power to cope with transients in music, but the output from some power amps is more than the electric heater in my listening rom :sunglasses:
As an example, PS Audio recently launched their 'Stellar M1200' monoblocks.
They produce 600W into 8 ohm and 1200W into 4 ohms!
I remain convinced that 'active' speakers, with built-in amps are the way to go; far more efficient than separate power amps, as each amp is matched to a dedicated driver and operates over a narrow frequency range after the crossover.
A Hi Fi reviewer in the UK ( 'The British Audiophile') recently asked a number of designers at the main loudspeaker manufacturers about their views on active speakers.
Every one of them, even those which don't offer active speakers, said they are inherently superior to passives.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #68,470 of 155,165
I agree @Ableza
There is a case for decent reserves of power to cope with transients in music, but the output from some power amps is more than the electric heater in my listening rom :sunglasses:
As an example, PS Audio recently launched their 'Stella M1200' monoblocks.
They produce 600W into 8 ohm and 1200W into 4 ohms!
I remain convinced that 'active' speakers, with built-in amps are the way to go; far more efficient than separate power amps, as each amp is matched to a dedicated driver and operates over a narrow frequency range after the crossover.
A Hi Fi reviewer in the UK ( 'The British Audiophile') recently asked a number of designers at the main loudspeaker manufacturers about their views on active speakers.
Every one of them, even those which don't offer active speakers, said they are inherently superior to passives.
Class D. Listen to Jason's remarks about that topology. Massive feedback needed to keep it stable and lot of DSP to make it sound right.
This 1200 is probably just a variation on ICEpower or nCore amps. They now can release a 2400 next week, just by implementing twice the amount of boards?
I guess this is the 1200AS2 ICEpower board
It's like DAC's with standard chip manufacturers implementation, anyone can build them.
Not saying this is a bad amp, because I haven't heard it and class D has come a long way the last decade.
Still want to listen to the Eigentakt to have an honest opinion about these kind of amps.
Your last sentence I will ignore. I wouldn't read a magazine that prints that kind of text.

A good link for (much cheaper and maybe just as good) Class D

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #68,471 of 155,165
I'd try the Loki Mini first. It's price makes it a good "gateway" analogue tone control. I enjoy mine... as its main task is to correct wonky recordings on my various headphones.

Thanks! I was thinking of doing that but there being 4 knobs instead of say, 6 (since this will cover lower bass, upper bass, lower mids, higher mids, lower highs, higher highs) meant that it may be too broad for my own use. Then again, this makes sense since it can let me see if tone controls are for me; no sense in hankering for a more expensive one if I don't already like the Loki Mini

Frankly, one big reason why I am looking into Loki Mini is that I needed something else to go with my Modi Multibit firmware chip. No sense in getting just that chip, when for the same shipping cost I can get one or even two more Schiit items along with the chip. Closest I can think of is the Vali 2+ since it is said to be better than the Project Ember I am using now, but my Project Ember is still working after replacing its wonky volpot and that I cannot use my 12AU7 tubes with the Vali 2+.

So now I am looking for more news/info on Modi Multibit (since if Unison somehow makes it for the Modi Multibit, it may make sense for me to just swap its mobo) and Loki to decide my next moves, and also get better headphones that can use the full potential of my setup and the Loki (if I am getting it)

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #68,472 of 155,165
If you have any desire to one day run your HD 6XX with a balanced amp, then getting the Jot 2 would make the most sense.
If you have absolutley no desire to use a balanced amp and want the best value, then geting the Asgard 3 would make the most sense.
If you have absolutley no desire to use a balanced amp and you want a super-powerful amp with some tube 'magic', then getting the Lyr 3 would make the most sense.
Interesting that one could make the same reasoning with the cheaper amps in the lineup:
If you have any desire to one day run your HD 6XX with a balanced amp, then getting the Magnius would make the most sense.
If you have absolutley no desire to use a balanced amp and want the best value, then geting the Magni 3+ or Heresy would make the most sense.
If you have absolutley no desire to use a balanced amp and you want a super-powerful amp with some tube 'magic', then getting the Vali 2+ would make the most sense.

Well, maybe not "super" powerful - but good enough. My Vali drives 600-ohm Beyers loud enough on low gain, around 12 o'clock.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #68,473 of 155,165
Interesting that one could make the same reasoning with the cheaper amps in the lineup:
If you have any desire to one day run your HD 6XX with a balanced amp, then getting the Magnius would make the most sense.
If you have absolutley no desire to use a balanced amp and want the best value, then geting the Magni 3+ or Heresy would make the most sense.
If you have absolutley no desire to use a balanced amp and you want a super-powerful amp with some tube 'magic', then getting the Vali 2+ would make the most sense.

Well, maybe not "super" powerful - but good enough. My Vali drives 600-ohm Beyers loud enough on low gain, around 12 o'clock.
The "big" deal here is having a real discrete amp like J2 vs a highly integrated amp like Magnius...

Different horses....different courses?

Dec 18, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #68,474 of 155,165

Yeah...I have had uber expensive amps/preamps/etc. in the past and have found that I'm quite happy with my Asgard 3 (for SE), Magnius (for Balanced), and Magni 3 (for a cheap setup). They sit at different listening stations throughout the house and were chosen to 'do a job'...which they do admirably!

Rather spend money on music and headphones :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back