Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #68,446 of 150,388
I look forward to your review. I tried my Jot1 into two Vidars, and it didn't cut it sonically for me. Ended up with Freya OG and now Freya S, which is a nice a preamp.

If Jot2 can hang with Freya S, then that's an interesting option, as I could compress my Freya and Vali2 into one.

It's shipped, Schiit moves quick! I didn't choose an expedited option but it is FedEx and not USPS so it should be timely. My prior amp was the GS-X Mini so I'm realistic about this but I do hope it'll punch well above it's weight.

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #68,447 of 150,388
It's shipped, Schiit moves quick! I didn't choose an expedited option but it is FedEx and not USPS so it should be timely. My prior amp was the GS-X Mini so I'm realistic about this but I do hope it'll punch well above it's weight.

IMO the newer amps designed by Jason using the matched parts punch well above their weight-class. I have A3 myself.

Dec 17, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #68,448 of 150,388
And you have PROPER pints over there!!!!
I bought some Alesmith IPA (Brewed in San Diego) last week and it says on the can it's 1 pint. Bah humbug ... it's really only 473ml when I look at the locally added sticker (for local regs) on the back. I missed out on nearly 100ml of ale. In what world is 473ml a pint?

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #68,450 of 150,388
I bought some Alesmith IPA (Brewed in San Diego) last week and it says on the can it's 1 pint. Bah humbug ... it's really only 473ml when I look at the locally added sticker (for local regs) on the back. I missed out on nearly 100ml of ale. In what world is 473ml a pint?
In the U.S., 1 pint = 473.1765 ml.
An imperial pint is 570 ml.
Using the imperial pint measurement you got screwed out of nearly 100 ml.
100 ml is something less than 1/2 cup
1/2 cup is barely a swig, at least in Texas. (Sorry, there is no universally accepted swig conversion factor)
So, yeah, you got robbed.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #68,451 of 150,388
Modi 3+ VS Bifrost OG Multibit (aka Bimby, BFM1)

in initial testing, I find that the Modi 3+ (AK 4490 based) has a smoother sound, with the leading attack of notes and natural transients softened a bit. for some source material with an edge, this may be a plus.

While BFM1 has better dynamics, detail, soundstage width & depth (less '"in your head") in my current setup, BFM1 was much more expensive unit than the $99 Modi 3+.

On the plus side, Modi 3+ reduced some of the A3's excess warmth in my setup. Will try using Modi 3+ with Freya S in 1x gain mode over the next week to see how that sounds...

for others, especially those starting out in head-fi or on a budget (wisely), the $99 Modi 3+ offers a lot of input options, including the Unison USB receiver (without electromagnetic isolation), nice build quality (2 year warranty), and a compact enclosure that stacks nicely with Magni, Loki-mini EQ, mani phone pre.

for reference, rest of the chain: sony NS500V cd player, (processing turned off, 16/44.1) to DAC via s/pdif coax, DAC analog out using 0.5M interconnects to Freya S in passive mode (remote volume control), more 0.5M interconnects to Asgard 3, driving low-impedance mid-range planars.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #68,453 of 150,388
If the Jot 2 dethroned the Lyr 3 at Jason’s house, I’m getting pretty tempted. I always liked my OG Jot but wondered what it could do with Nexus and Continuity. Since my wish became reality I might have to do it.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #68,455 of 150,388
If the Jot 2 dethroned the Lyr 3 at Jason’s house, I’m getting pretty tempted. I always liked my OG Jot but wondered what it could do with Nexus and Continuity. Since my wish became reality I might have to do it.

especially if you are using a Gungnir or Yggy with dual DAC chips per channel via XLR to the HP amp.

you can tell when Jason is very proud of his creations-- that those designs are special (not just industry copies of something else with a different emclosure and UI added).

Jot 2 is very tempting, but just got my Asgard 3 in Oct of this year...

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #68,456 of 150,388
especially if you are using a Gungnir or Yggy with dual DAC chips per channel via XLR to the HP amp.

Jot 2 is very tempting, but just got my Asgard 3 in Oct of this year...
I have a Bifrost 2 and a Modius. My old Jot is impressive with both DACs. The Bifrost 2 is the better DAC overall in my opinion but the Modius sounds special with the old Jot.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #68,460 of 150,388
Did you get rid of the Mini? If so just curious why.

Also curious to hear what you think of the Jot 2 compared to the Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back