Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #67,801 of 153,435
While the power DAC sounds like a cool idea, what about volume control? at lower volumes, you are basically reducing the resolution of the DACs, so your R2R DACs 20 bits becomes more like 12 or 14. the multi-level D/S DACs can do 32 bits to start with, so volume control (with some digital processing algorithms to do proper noise-shaping) would still give you something like 24 bits... more than enough (if done well).

Yes, that might be an inherent problem with the PowerDAC given that volume control is done by regulating the power supply. I won't comment further on that given that it is still in the prototype stage.

I believe that the D/S DAC topology is more suitable for direct drive of the speaker using a class D or other digital pulse (PDM, PWM) power stage / bulk LP filter (to remove the switching noise). Many of the active speakers on the market, including some models favored by head-fiers, are using a variation of this. Definitely possible, and better to do this as a complete active speaker (integrated D/S DAC, electronic crossovers, power stages, woofer, midrange, tweeters)

E1DA already has the former on the works for headphones through his proprietary POWERDAC. Active speakers using digital crossovers and dedicated amplifiers may be the final do-all for digital audiophoolery. Problem is, implementation is often mediocre- and when well-implemented, they often cost prices that make you triple check to see if your eyes aren't fooling you and it is indeed a five-figure tag (such as the Kii).

The AD5791 has an output impedance on the order of a few k ohms, much too high to drive a power stage directly, hence the FET buffers for line level outs... and 15Vpp will only give you a few watts into an 8 ohm load. plus, loading the AD5791 outputs too much will cause self-heating & thermal gradients across the chip.

One of the virtues of Power drive is that the optimal output impedance should be infinite. This limits its use with typical speakers given their heavily reactive load- though it is near-optimal for single drivers. It has been proven time and time again that powerdrive is capable of directly driving ribbons without the need for specialized amplifiers (hmm, might be interesting with the Raal headphones) Again, pairing them with afullranger and a line-level/digital crossover should seal the deal. Not great for mainstream, excellent for DIYing audiophools and mad scientists. Efficient drivers seldom need more than half a watt, even in peaks. Many examples from Lowther and Lii are rated for above 97db/m/2.83V. So unless you are of the sort that blasts their ears every night it should not be particularly noticeable. Again, very much out of mainstream, though possible. Some people are happy with the 600mw they get off a Darling-type circuit. But let's change the topic. The loading of the transistors might come to be a problem. Hmm. I should perhaps do more reading on that. Still, thanks for the information. I found your post to be quite an interesting read.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #67,804 of 153,435
And now, in an attempt to steer this thread back to an approved topic:
Aberlour 16 > Bunnahabhain 12

I'll bite @macdonjh ... :beyersmile: :beyersmile:
No, No, No, No, No!
For the avoidance of doubt, I completely disagree with this inflammatory, provocative, irresponsible and completely misleading post....
You're on far safer ground expressing opinions like SS>tubes, Digital> vinyl, or that Budweiser make beer :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #67,805 of 153,435
yes KEF LS50 Wireless II uses class D (280W) amplifier for mid bass, class AB (100W) for tweeter. I suspect these are peak values, since they didn't specify whether peak or RMS which is half of peak. either way, they can reach 108dB. are the meadowlark & buchardt KEF products under development? didn't see them listed?

Buchardt Audio
Meadowlark Audio (their website is too cute by half; linking to one of their products)

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #67,807 of 153,435
BTW - a general request (not directed at anyone with any malice) - can we agree to not use the term "audiophool" on this forum?

To the average person, anything better that stock earbuds packaged with your phone is "audiophoolery".

Dec 9, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #67,808 of 153,435
Apologies for quoting myself here but.... I made a decision.

I ended up buying a Mjolnir 2 C-stock. Fedex says it will be here next Monday. Next purchase will be a Bifrost 2, soonish. Gotta wait for the credit card to stop smoldering.
Rapidly approaching my end-game headphone rig. This is gonna be so cool. :ksc75smile::gs1000smile:
You'll love that rig, and enjoy listening to music instead of chasing gear. I haven't changed hardware in several years ... just happy where I am.
The Bifrost2 will be the game changer :)

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #67,810 of 153,435
I'll bite @macdonjh ... :beyersmile: :beyersmile:
No, No, No, No, No!
For the avoidance of doubt, I completely disagree with this inflammatory, provocative, irresponsible and completely misleading post....
You're on far safer ground expressing opinions like SS>tubes, Digital> vinyl, or that Budweiser make beer :sunglasses:
But it is a fact that Aberlour 16 > Bunnahabhain 12, not an opinion.
:ksc75smile:

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #67,811 of 153,435
Not one mention of Schiit or other electronic topics in that post. Squarely, both-feet-in-bounds in the BBQ-scotch-cats domain.

You've obviously had too much Scotch if you are thinking of BBQ'ing a cat. :pouting_cat:

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #67,812 of 153,435
BTW - a general request (not directed at anyone with any malice) - can we agree to not use the term "audiophool" on this forum?

To the average person, anything better that stock earbuds packaged with your phone is "audiophoolery".

You just used it -- twice!! Shame on you.

(I will use the term 'Audiot' or 'Sonically Challenged' from now on.) :smirk:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #67,814 of 153,435
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back