Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #67,773 of 153,436
On a another note, I took delivery of a b-stock Modi Multibit last week.

Unfortunately, something was off with the sound...almost like it was Mono instead of stereo. It was very apparent when playing a track where certain instruments are hard panned to one side or the other. In this case, it seemed like the right channel was being output to both left and right RCA outputs. Therefore anything I knew should be coming from the left channel was totally absent, and the soundstage was essentially nothing.

I compared it to my Bifrost v1 Multibit, which should be the most similar sound out of my Schiit Stable, and it was confirmed the Modi M-bit was off.

To ensure I wasn't going insane, I ran it with several different cable options into several different amps (Vali 2+, Asgard2, Asgard3) and it all pointed back to the Modi.

Good news is that its on its way back to the mothership for some diagnostic/repair, so hopefully it gets sorted out!

Anyone else heard of something like that before?

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #67,774 of 153,436

Unfortunately, something was off with the sound...almost like it was Mono instead of stereo. It was very apparent when playing a track where certain instruments are hard panned to one side or the other. In this case, it seemed like the right channel was being output to both left and right RCA outputs. Therefore anything I knew should be coming from the left channel was totally absent, and the soundstage was essentially nothing.

I compared it to my Bifrost v1 Multibit, which should be the most similar sound out of my Schiit Stable, and it was confirmed the Modi M-bit was off.

To ensure I wasn't going insane, I ran it with several different cable options into several different amps (Vali 2+, Asgard2, Asgard3) and it all pointed back to the Modi.

Good news is that its on its way back to the mothership for some diagnostic/repair, so hopefully it gets sorted out!

Yes, I have had this happen numerous times with 3.5mm connectors. The mix of specs within the standard would cause a monaural sound usually having just one channel going to both left and right inputs. Basically, user error. Check interconnects first when troubleshooting this phenomena and then check device jack compatibility with connectors. Only after that do I dig deeper.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #67,775 of 153,436
For anyone thinking about buying the new Apple Airpods Max, here is my review:

Juicy bass, crisp mids, but the treble can be a bit tart.

Haha, sorry couldn't resist...I will now proceed with this thread's traditional punishment (ABBA).
Don't punish yourself. We (the old geezers who build that system) will happily do that when necessary.

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #67,776 of 153,436

Haha, sorry couldn't resist...I will now proceed with this thread's traditional punishment (ABBA).

Yeah, but how do I plug it into my Vali 2?

Apple doesn't believe in cables anymore, unless it's when they're creating new proprietary "wireless" charging methods to skirt EU regulations and create new revenue streams.

Edit: full disclosure: I bought a MagSafe puck and I like it for charging. But I think Apple is full of themselves and every move they make that they claim is good for the consumer or the environment somehow magically always ends up making them more money.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #67,777 of 153,436
he EC Designs, if I understood your post correctly, amplifies the digital signal directly during D/A conversion?

I believe it is a servo-loaded (in that the input signal is galvanically isolated from the power stage) power-driven (pass-labs iteration of PowerDrive, that is, current-drive amplifier. Similar in a way to Schiit's Continuity, I believe) power supply for speakers. In my honest opinion, it is the best way to drive speakers and I would love to see Schiit doing something similar (Not sure what goes inside Unison, so I cannot comment on the digital input stage. The Filter seems phenomenal though it's likely way above my paygrade. Perhaps they could switch out the output stage of Yggy and directly couple it to a Sziklai-like current gain stage given the AD5791 can manage up to +/- 16.5 Vpp output. I may be wrong and would be thankful if someone with more experience could correct me on this if so). But let's digress, as this is Schiit's Thread.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #67,778 of 153,436

Well that's a bummer! Normally I'd recommend some troubleshooting but you've clearly done your best to isolate the problem so kudos to you. Schitt will get it sorted out for you. My Modi Multibit is going strong after about 2 years and when you get yours back I'm sure you'll be happy.

Thanks for the post and let us know how it works out. :)

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #67,779 of 153,436
Well I've taken another big step down the rabbit hole.

I bought a new-to-me (aka used) pair of Dan Clark Ether C Flow 1.1 headphones last weekend and they arrived Thursday.

Oh.
Wow.
These things are gorgeous.

Now I understand what all the fuss is about with high end headphones.

HD-650, HE-400 are gateway drugs.

I've been listening to them most of the weekend, driven by my Modi MB -> Loki -> Mani 3. Really freakin' incredible sound. I am really impressed with the sound of Jason and Mike's entry level multibit DAC and headphone amp. Unfortunately my Valhalla 2 that I was driving my Massdrop/HiFi Man HE-4XX (don't laugh, it is a nice sounding setup if you don't try for rock concert volumes) just won't handle the DC ECF. I'd been planning on a Bifrost 2 and a Lyr 3 soon, but now.... I did get both the balanced and 1/4" cables in the deal and there are several Mjolnir 2 C-stock available.

So.... Lyr 3 or Mjolnir 2? Thoughts?

Apologies for quoting myself here but.... I made a decision.

I ended up buying a Mjolnir 2 C-stock. Fedex says it will be here next Monday. Next purchase will be a Bifrost 2, soonish. Gotta wait for the credit card to stop smoldering.
Rapidly approaching my end-game headphone rig. This is gonna be so cool. :ksc75smile::gs1000smile:

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #67,780 of 153,436

Which will sound gre-e-e-at on AirPods...

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #67,781 of 153,436
I believe it is a servo-loaded (in that the input signal is galvanically isolated from the power stage) power-driven (pass-labs iteration of PowerDrive, that is, current-drive amplifier. Similar in a way to Schiit's Continuity, I believe) power supply for speakers. In my honest opinion, it is the best way to drive speakers and I would love to see Schiit doing something similar (Not sure what goes inside Unison, so I cannot comment on the digital input stage. The Filter seems phenomenal though it's likely way above my paygrade. Perhaps they could switch out the output stage of Yggy and directly couple it to a Sziklai-like current gain stage given the AD5791 can manage up to +/- 16.5 Vpp output. I may be wrong and would be thankful if someone with more experience could correct me on this if so). But let's digress, as this is Schiit's Thread.
I consider this a "new product request" post...

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #67,782 of 153,436
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #67,783 of 153,436
And now, in an attempt to steer this thread back to an approved topic:
Aberlour 16 > Bunnahabhain 12

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #67,784 of 153,436
Apologies for quoting myself here but.... I made a decision.

I ended up buying a Mjolnir 2 C-stock. Fedex says it will be here next Monday. Next purchase will be a Bifrost 2, soonish. Gotta wait for the credit card to stop smoldering.
Rapidly approaching my end-game headphone rig. This is gonna be so cool. :ksc75smile::gs1000smile:

so cool. :L3000:
buy once, wallet cries once (hopefully). cheaper in the long run vs a series of "sidegrades" or minor upgrades.

in fact there's another head-fier that has a DCA E2 atop his MJ2 as his avatar, so maybe there is some synergy with the DCA cans and MJ2.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #67,785 of 153,436
Well I've taken another big step down the rabbit hole.

I bought a new-to-me (aka used) pair of Dan Clark Ether C Flow 1.1 headphones last weekend and they arrived Thursday.

Oh.
Wow.
These things are gorgeous.

Now I understand what all the fuss is about with high end headphones.

HD-650, HE-400 are gateway drugs.

I've been listening to them most of the weekend, driven by my Modi MB -> Loki -> Mani 3. Really freakin' incredible sound. I am really impressed with the sound of Jason and Mike's entry level multibit DAC and headphone amp. Unfortunately my Valhalla 2 that I was driving my Massdrop/HiFi Man HE-4XX (don't laugh, it is a nice sounding setup if you don't try for rock concert volumes) just won't handle the DC ECF. I'd been planning on a Bifrost 2 and a Lyr 3 soon, but now.... I did get both the balanced and 1/4" cables in the deal and there are several Mjolnir 2 C-stock available.

So.... Lyr 3 or Mjolnir 2? Thoughts?

I drove my Ether C Flows with a Mjolnir 2 and highly recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back