Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #67,216 of 150,848
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #67,217 of 150,848
I am sorry to be Nit Picky but at least one Schiit employee is wearing their mask incorrectly in the video. Mask is to be worn over mouth and nose please. This is not about what you do for yourself, it is about others.

Even if you do not believe that COVID exists, other people do. It would reduce the believer's stress level if you wore a mask. So please do the polite thing and wear your mask properly.

Thank you

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #67,219 of 150,848
@JohnnyOps
I have just returned from a trip to two local supermarkets.
I came back with four bottles:
12 yo Highland Park ( last one...) £10 off
10 yo Laphroaig £10 off
12 yo Bunnahabhain £9 off
Talisker Skye £15 off

Two from Islay, one Orkney and one Skye. Not a bad selection...
I shouldn't need to open that bottle of JW Black Label for a while!

To use my wife's logic, I have 'saved' £44 today :beyersmile:
Laphroaig is indeed a malt with "strong character." For a laugh go to their Youtube sites and watch the "Two Friends..." videos. A good laugh!

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #67,222 of 150,848
The reality is, it's a bit deeper than that. It's less of a commercial, and more a celebration of where we have landed. Remember, we started 10 years ago in 1/3 of a garage. From there, we have become a real manufacturing company...without compromising on the ideals of making things right here in the USA.

10 years ago, it was INSANE to even consider starting a manufacturing company in the USA.

Today, there are still reviewers asking how we expect to compete with (products from low-wage countries), while forgetting that our products are less expensive than products from low-wage countries.

It's all marketing? Well, marketing/advertising/etc is forever. It will never end. It is as easy to market leasing a Prius and an apartment as buying a Tahoe and a McMansion. Five thousand years from now, marketing will still be a thing. We market by telling our story as directly as we can, and by making things here in the USA as closely coupled as we can. We come up with silly names for some of our tech, others come up with no names, or they name Literally™ Everything™ from the Power Supply™ to DAC Stuff That Everyone Else Uses.™ Choose what you will. Yes, it really is that simple.

In the end, we'll continue doing what we're doing, and others will continue to do what they're doing, and some people will choose us, and some people will choose them, and that's all well and good...

...because it isn't about getting everyone to like you. It's about getting some people to love you.

We live in a world filled with noisy and colorful product enticements, often loudly overhyping ordinary and unimaginative goods. We have the privilege of choosing which products to desire and which ones to actually own. I wrote this list of "Why Schiit" a couple of years ago responding to debates about double blind listening and measurement wars. Here is that list of reasons why I love these products – derive deep satisfaction and utility from them, feel no buyer's remorse owning them, and remain brand faithful.

Reputation is there – I listened to the community.
Value – Jason describes value in audio terms – great sound for the price, and at a variety of price points.
Made in USA – for what its worth...
Beautiful – show me crystal clear photos of your work, inside and out, and I'll be better able to see your intentions. And Red – red circuit boards just sound better. don't they?
Whimsy – see Beautiful. Yes, there is value to me in the willingness to play, take one's self less than seriously, and even share mistakes.
Story – people make things. Bob Taylor makes guitars. Jason and Mike Moffat make Schiit. I like to hear the human story behind the product. I buy from people I like or want to be like.
Confidence – because there are no magic bullet claims my expectations are set at a realistic level. I am satisfied before I ever plug anything in.

Thanks to Jason, Mike, the Schiit team, and just everybody who makes things of value. What's not to love?

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #67,223 of 150,848
The non-peat malts from Islay like Bruichladdich or Caol Ila 15 are wonderful. But to me, the strong peats like Ardbeg smell and taste like rotted seaweed soaked in used motor oil. No thanks.

That's exactly what I like - whisky that tastes like burning tires.

I like my tea that way too - tarry lapsang souchong for the win.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #67,224 of 150,848
That's exactly what I like - whisky that tastes like burning tires.

I like my tea that way too - tarry lapsang souchong for the win.
And thus, "To each his own." Enjoy! :)

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #67,225 of 150,848
WORD!

On my gaming rig from the time it takes me to press the start button, walk around and sit down and power on the 4th monitor (that's tied into the sound system) it's at the login screen... They are insanely fast.
That's a cynical one I presume?
When I fart on the ICU 100+ bells are going off.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #67,227 of 150,848
Geez. Never heed culinary advice from @bcowen. The man is a non-gastronome. He thinks Hormel hotdog chili is a five-star delicacy. :rolling_eyes:

I only wish I could afford name-brand food like that. :disappointed:

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #67,228 of 150,848
That's a widely-held belief, but the actual statistics show something else. Manufacturing employment is way down, with terrible consequences for millions of people in traditional manufacturing regions, but manufacturing revenues have grown steadily since 2010 (and they were already growing steadily before the 2008-2010 recession). Manufacturing in the US moved from traditional mass production (employing millions) to high-value technical products (employing many fewer) like Schiit's. IOW, Schiit is just a great example of a wider trend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuf...al_and_real)_and_Manufacturing_Employment.png
There's no getting away from that. I read a few years ago that Canon had moved it's production plant from China back to Japan. There is a catch: The plant is 85% automated. Think about it: It's CHEAPER for Canon to have an 85% automated plant in Japan than a low cost labor staffed plant in China. The writing's on the wall. All of manufacturing will be automated sooner or later. In which case, it probably won't matter where anything is made anymore.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #67,229 of 150,848
Shame on you. Hormel is good stuff...! Next, you'll be talking down about SPAM...! :scream:
EEBFFAA1-0569-4CA2-8C68-88FD961641B4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back