Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #67,111 of 153,405
I continue to enjoy the Schiit products I use as well as the various peeks we get into the company's culture and ethos, where the latter connects us to the stacks of (thoughtfully designed!) blocks of metal on our racks.

While I am reasonably set with the possible exception of an eventual upgrade to my Yggdrasil, there are two items I would love to see appear some time; one I know others here share a longing for is a Loki "max", ideally (for me at least) in a Freya-style chassis and balanced inputs and outputs.

The other, which might test the boundaries of their marketing/business philosophy (often expressed in terms of what we'd love to build vs what we will never or are far less likely to build) is a unit with little more than a pair of old-school VU meters (with both SE and balanced) that would sit in amongst one's Schiit stack. I'd settle for analog meters--maybe with color-tunable LED illumination, though I imagine one could do it with small OLED displays as well. I am sure there are units out there, but none that match the aesthetics of their design language.

jus dreamin...

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #67,112 of 153,405
Right Now ****ed

As in, if you carry no stock, you're done right now.

If we did JIT, we would ALREADY not be shipping Modi, Fulla, Hel, etc.

Because we are old-skool/paranoid/crazy/stupid, we carry lots of stock on stuff that makes us nervous. The more nervous, the more stock. Hence over a year of AKM parts. Their schedules had already been drawing out in 2020 before the factory fire, so we stocked up even more than normal.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 20, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #67,113 of 153,405
I work for a major automotive manufacturer in the U. S. We run on JIT. About 12 hours of stock for many parts. Run 24 hours a day 6 days a week. We estimate 10k a minute in lost revenue when we are down. Last year a parts supplier had a fire. We were literally air lifting parts by helicopter into the parking lot to keep running. Did for two days until alternative source could be found for temporary supply. $$$$ We still haven’t changed a thing. No lessons learned.
1605899266892.png

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #67,114 of 153,405
I work for a major automotive manufacturer in the U. S. We run on JIT. About 12 hours of stock for many parts. Run 24 hours a day 6 days a week. We estimate 10k a minute in lost revenue when we are down. Last year a parts supplier had a fire. We were literally air lifting parts by helicopter into the parking lot to keep running. Did for two days until alternative source could be found for temporary supply. $$$$ We still haven’t changed a thing. No lessons learned. 1605899266892.png
I've worked my whole career in aerospace and almost every company I've worked at has had at least one similar situation. We always get burned from it and yet..

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #67,117 of 153,405
It is literally impossible for any of our amplifiers to clip on the input side, since the gain stage is after the potentiometer in every amp we make.

However, you can certainly run into output clipping if you have it turned up too high!
the moment before clipping is utterly satisfactory!

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #67,118 of 153,405
I work for a major automotive manufacturer in the U. S. We run on JIT. About 12 hours of stock for many parts. Run 24 hours a day 6 days a week. We estimate 10k a minute in lost revenue when we are down. Last year a parts supplier had a fire. We were literally air lifting parts by helicopter into the parking lot to keep running. Did for two days until alternative source could be found for temporary supply. $$$$ We still haven’t changed a thing. No lessons learned. 1605899266892.png

Gotta look at the big picture. They likely save way more, over the long-term, from running JIT than what they lost on that one incident. JIT isn't perfect but it certainly has some benefits.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #67,119 of 153,405

I used to work in automotive industry. We had a couple of days worth of stock in parts, but it’s unfeasible to keep much more than that, because it takes up so much space. We were always building more storage space, too.

Nov 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #67,120 of 153,405
JIT = perpetual parts shortages
my teacher if mathematical logistical methods wrote this on the board when class was starting:
JIT IS BULLSH#T

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #67,121 of 153,405

My 2 cents is that manufacturing dacs/amps does not equal manufacturing cars (hell, dacs probably don't equal amps). Perhaps one of the biggest differences is the size of the finished product, and how much storage space the raw materials take up is two very different amounts of space. I mean, to me, I'm thinking about how dense a finished car is versus if you took it apart and tried to store every part in an organized manner, how much space that would take up. I think the part density of a car versus electronics... it's no comparison, a car would take up much, much more volume. So the storage cost on those parts, to have even a week's worth on hand, would just be so, so very expensive compared to running your supply chain on the edge of breakdown all the time that it isn't worth it. I had to take enough accounting classes that I could probably do the math on this if I had to.... but just say it cost them even a few hundred thousand dollars for a few days to keep parts moving every now and then when there is an issue (let's say in total this might cost the company a few million a year?). What this setup is not costing them is a much larger facility (probably a dedicated building) with all the overhead (security, utilities, insurance, real estate taxes, depreciation, etc) and some sort of much more advanced inventory system (probably with full-time union employees) to move that inventory around efficiently, and this at every location! Plus just the lost opportunity of having all that millions of dollars tied up in parts just sitting there when they know they need to do a facelift for next year's model and they want to do more advertising, r/d, sales/promotions/rebates, etc.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #67,122 of 153,405
two suppliers very close by but faraway sufficient to keep the fire local, that is real JIT (but bull of course)

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #67,123 of 153,405
my teacher if mathematical logistical methods wrote this on the board when class was starting:
JIT IS bull
One I liked was when a supply chain guy I know posted a sign reading "JIT never is"

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #67,125 of 153,405
I've worked my whole career in aerospace and almost every company I've worked at has had at least one similar situation. We always get burned from it and yet..
JIT works great in a perfect world. How many of us live in a perfect world?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back