Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #66,527 of 153,406
Hi, My idea is connect all my sources to a pre amp, and then that pre amp to 2 power amps (solid sstate and tubes), and that 2 to the same speakers.
so i dont need to move interconects, just dont know if a simple switch like the dynavox is safe, or if its better the other solution, or something similar, anyway will try read a bit more about it :D
deleted
to avoid confusion

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #66,528 of 153,406
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!!!
Connecting the outputs of 2 separate amps together in ANY way is NEVER a good idea. :face_palm:

At the very least the SS amp will likely suffer circuit damage, because if the tube amp drives into the SS amps unprotectable outputs, well, it can get expensive.

But the tube amp (if it has an output xfmr and is NEVER turned on when the SS amp is) may avoid circuit damage, unless the output xfmrs get cooked and damaged.

Also the available dampening factor and load, that the amps 'see', (for both the SS & tube amp), is going to be 'non-optimal' by any measure.

But all it will take is just one slip up, and power up the 2nd amp while the other amp is already on, and well, I figure the magic smoke will escape and possibly be accompanied by, (an Earth shattering) KaBoom… :scream:

Just my 2¢

JJ :scream: :radioactive:

Nov 4, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #66,529 of 153,406
Yeah, me too. I'd put some banana plugs on the amplifier end of the speaker cable(s) and with a simple push or pull swap the cable between the two amps.

Well the amplifier i have and the other one im considering are a bit heavy (25 and 42 kg) and i wont have much space behind them.
Cause that, spades will be beter than banana plugs in my case, and since i have a kid around (9 yold) who also will use them, i prefer find a easier solution, if a switch isnt that great, maybe i need consider a extra pair of speakers, :sweat_smile::thinking:

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #66,530 of 153,406
Well the amplifier i have and the other one im considering are a bit heavy (25 and 42 kg) and i wont have much space behind them.
Cause that, spades will be beter than banana plugs in my case, and since i have a kid around (9 yold) who also will use them, i prefer find a easier solution, if a switch isnt that great, maybe i need consider a extra pair of speakers, :sweat_smile::thinking:

another option is to run a short length speaker wire (pigtail) from the output of each amp to a (neutrik) speakon 4-pole type female connector located near the front of each two-channel amp. then a mating 4-pole male speakon connector on the wire runs to each speaker (both lef t& right into same connector). easier for a 9 year old to connect/disconnect than a bunch banana plugs or spade lugs for each channel, and the speakons are designed for professional applications so impact resistant and rated for lots of mate/unmate cycles.

Assembly will require some technician / soldering skills. be sure to check for shorts between terminals and the housing before connection to your expensive gear.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #66,531 of 153,406
another option is to run a short length speaker wire (pigtail) from the output of each amp to a (neutrik) speakon 4-pole type female connector located near the front of each two-channel amp. then a mating 4-pole male speakon connector on the wire runs to each speaker (both lef t& right into same connector). easier for a 9 year old to connect/disconnect than a bunch banana plugs or spade lugs for each channel, and the speakons are designed for professional applications so impact resistant and rated for lots of mate/unmate cycles.

Sounds nice! thanks @tincanear will think about it :beerchug:

Nov 4, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #66,534 of 153,406
Q - does anyone know whether power amp designers short the outputs together when powered down? That would be another huge reason to not hook up two amp outputs via a common set of wires. i.e. the powered-up amp could see a short circuit at the output.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #66,535 of 153,406
Q - does anyone know whether power amp designers short the outputs together when powered down? That would be another huge reason to not hook up two amp outputs via a common set of wires. i.e. the powered-up amp could see a short circuit at the output.
in general, i don't think the outputs are shorted with relays, etc. there are, however transistors, diodes, etc... that could be forced into conduction with externally applied voltages (e.g. connecting the outputs of two power amplifiers in parallel with one unit powered off, mismatched signals applied to each amp).

the OP understands that two amplifiers should never be connected directly together and is looking for a means to readily select one or the other amplifier while isolating the outputs of the un-used amp.

Nov 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #66,536 of 153,406
@Pedro Janeiro, if you decide against the Neutrik connectors, I agree with those who have recommended a switch of some kind. Simple and fool proof for both you and your child. I'll bet your kid makes enough noise to make whatever noise the switch adds inaudible. :)

FWIW, I made some similar pig-tails (using 4-pin XLR) for my Stax energizer. I can move it from room to room and have only a single connection which doesn't require access to the rear of my amps.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #66,537 of 153,406
Nov 4, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #66,538 of 153,406
Sorry to quote myself, but:

Does anyone know if a Mjolnir I would be able to safely drive a Stax energizer? I'd guess the Stax has an input impedance of 8 Ohms or so (to mimic a speaker). What's the lowest impedance the Mjolnir I can drive safely?
Use a speaker amplifier. 50 wpc or greater, designed to power loudspeakers.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #66,539 of 153,406
Consolidated my biggest 2ch and headphone schiit into one cabinet, putting the Asgard 2 on its side so everything can fit. Running out of room for a transport though...
D82B1274-62C1-432C-871C-0D554331D54D.jpeg

Nov 5, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #66,540 of 153,406
Consolidated my biggest 2ch and headphone schiit into one cabinet, putting the Asgard 2 on its side so everything can fit. Running out of room for a transport though...
since the amps are running in monoblock mode, you could move them to behind each speaker. use low-capacitance (shielded twisted pair instead of shielded star-quad) interconnects for the longer runs.

or get a taller cabinet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back