Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #66,452 of 150,605
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #66,454 of 150,605
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 1, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #66,455 of 150,605
P.S This has been the first Halloween without any trick-or-treaters ringing my doorbell. Disappointing but expected due to COVID. At least I have enough candy for the week. Has anyone else been trick-or-treating or have trick-or-treaters at their door?.

We had a good many trick-or-treaters, though not as many as previous years. And they did not ring the bell this year, as we had the candy sitting on a table for them to pick-up w/o any personal interaction. My wife waved at them through the glass door, commenting on their costumes.

Must be careful/safe, as I am both old and have multiple 'underlying conditions'. Currently can't even see the kids, as youngest grandson is still quarentined (for 3 more days) after his ice hockey coach and several teammates have the accursed virus. This is certainly a no good, lousy, horrible, very, very bad year!! Thank heaven for music and great Schiit to enjoy it on!!

Cheers, Jim

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #66,459 of 150,605
When I was working, sometimes the gorilla was NEVER done.
I walked away from the gorilla. Several times (never turned my back on IT). :ksc75smile:

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #66,461 of 150,605
Edit: Just realised that others, including Jason, have already answered. However, I will leave the post as it gives context in the quoted messages from Jason and may be of interest to readers who missed my earlier post.

One thing I really like is Schiit using logarithmic pots for the volume control. From the days of using audio taper pots or linear taper pots, and with very sensitive devices not being able to get out of the lower portion of the pot and having low level tracking issues, its nice to use log pots. In the Magni 3 I noticed this as well with the new Asgard 3, Lyr 3. etc.

In one of the Jason interviews floating around I think he mentions that the custom Alps pots have a particular taper....to more closley match the human ear?
You've made an interesting observation that got me thinking (bad sign!). I had assumed that all audio gear that had a volume control used logarithmic tapers, because, well, hearing is logarithmic. Are you saying that you've experienced other manufacturers that have actually used linear tapers, and not just a bad choice for pot value? To me, it seems like a linear pot would either give you zero volume adjustment or be more like a switch that goes from dead to ungodly loud.
I am catching up on this thread, so sorry for delayed response. I have previously commented on the taper earlier in this thread, with relevant quotes from Jason. Here are is the appropiate part of my comment:
Jason has already stated that they are using the same deep(er) 10A taper on their smaller products and the identical potentiometers on Mjolnir (original solid state), Jotunheim and Magnius (and presumably 10A also on the larger non-balanced products such as Asgard); key points highlighted in red:
Aside: why the histrionics over a potentiometer—a volume control? Sounds silly, doesn’t it? That is, until you realize that the potentiometer is arguably the most important part of a headphone amp. It’s the control you use the most. If it feels crappy, the amp feels like junk. If it doesn’t have a good audio taper, the volume will be mismatched and jumpy. A good pot is very, very important, which is why we only use custom Alps 9mm potentiometers with a deeper audio taper than normal in all of our small products, and why we really, really like to use Alps 27mm potentiometers as soon as we have the budget and room to do so. Because it feels better, and because, even if it is a part with technically the same “audio taper” as the 9mm part, the volume control is much more gradual, controllable, and matched. With pots, bigger really is better.Aside to the aside: all this talk about “tapers” translates to how fast the volume rises when you turn the knob. A linear taper potentiometer is not suitable for audio—it will blast you out of the room as soon as you start to move the knob. Audio tapers are logarithmic tapers, and they come in different flavors, from shallow (30A and 20A) to medium (15A) to deep (10A). Perceptually, 15A and 10A tapers allow for a much more gradual, controllable volume pot. But again, you can get 15A in 9mm and 15A in 27mm…and they will feel different, in terms of how fast the volume rises as you turn the knob. There are only so many things you can do with a small pot.
The Most Magnificent Potentiometer

I mean, I knew exactly what I needed to do to fix the pot problem…just use the custom 4-gang 27mm Alps Blue Velvet pot from Jotunheim. Done.

Except…they were shockingly expensive. As in, about 15x more expensive than the 9mm pots we use in Magni. Yes, 1500%. Yes, it’s not a cheap part.

But if we increased the number we used, maybe the price would come down to something workable, I thought. I contacted Alps again, told them the 9mm pot wouldn’t work, and asked them for a quote on a silly number of 27mm 4-gang potentiometers.

Aside: the 27mm 4-gang part we use is fully custom. It’s so custom that the option for a 4-gang 27mm Alps doesn’t exist in their parts list…at all. It’s what we’ve used in Mjolnir and Jotunheim from the beginning. Heck, Jotunheim was, at least in part, an exercise in how to use up a large order of these pots.
And that’s when fate hit.

Alex mentioned, “Well, we have like 8,000 of those pots anyway.”

I blinked. “The Alps RK27114s?”

“Yes,” Alex said, looking nervous. “I mean, I placed an order, you placed an order, our parts guys placed an order, so we have a lot extra…”

“No that’s fine,” I told him. “That’s actually good news.”

“I mean, I know you hate to carry extra inventory.”

“Yeah, I do, but why don’t we just use them for Magnius?”

Alex looked stunned. “You’re gonna put that expensive part in that amp?”

I nodded. “Thinking about it.” Plus, I liked the irony—Jotunheim helped us use a surplus of Mjolnir pots, Magnius would help us use an even bigger surplus.

But one thing nagged me: What happens when we run out of pots? Would we still be able to make Magnius at a reasonable price?

Then, more good news: the quote from Alps came in at a nice price. We’d be able—barely—to meet the production cost on Magnius, even if we used up all of our existing stock. I grinned. Magnius was going to get an Alps RK27114…one of the most magnificent potentiometers available today.

That was completely, utterly silly…and nobody would be able to match it!
As far as I remember, from the last time I looked at the Alps catalogue: the 10A taper is a special order option for both the 9mm and 27mm potentiometers (not a standard stock item) and a 27mm 4-gang potentiometer is not even listed as special order items (so custom order as Jason indicated).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #66,462 of 150,605
Stopped at a Scottish pub on our way back home from a visit to the other end of our fair state of Vermont. While we're both beer people, the beverage menu also had a list of single malts - some of the names I recognized from what all of you have been discussing. And while we both enjoyed a pint of Old Engine Oil stout (very, very good, btw), I did think of you guys when I saw the scotch list. So for your enjoyment.... Here's the beer list. And the list of single malts. Note that they also offer flights of single malts. First time I've ever seen a flight of anything other than craft brews. And yes, haggis was on the menu. No, I didn't have it this time.
I'm a major beer snob, pretty much if it's not a Stout or a Porter I'll go without. I would have had to try the Scottish Stout, followed by an Old Engine Oil, and a Macallan 18 for dessert...

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #66,463 of 150,605
Hi guys,

Those of you who have more than 1 stereo power amplifier, how do you connect them to the same speakers?
anyone tryed something like this? @Jason Stoddard would be great see something similar from Schiit :p

Cheers

PJ
2.jpg
dynavox.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #66,465 of 150,605
would be great see something similar from Schiit
Why? There's already a trillion other manufacturers doing that schiit.
Again: Why Schiitifying everything in the audiomarket?
It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back