Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #66,017 of 150,813
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #66,018 of 150,813
I don't own the Aegir (yet) but I'm dying to hear it drive my Dynaudio's. I have the Special 25's and I've used them on and off for 15 years. They sound great at all volumes, but could use the extra push of being mono-blocked if you want to get crazy. There is now a Special 40 that fits into your budget. Keep us posted, literally.

Cheers :beerchug:
Tony
Yeah, Aegir is not going to drive your S25's well at all, not even with 2 of them unless your listening position is really close and you don't listen at very high volumes... Vidar on the other hand will drive them amazingly well!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #66,019 of 150,813
Tekton makes some nice, high sensitivity models, designed for SET amps; the SET 10 and SET 15. So, they should play well with a 20 watt Class A amp.

That they do. I have the Lores and like them a lot. However, they are pretty boring at low volume levels and need to be cranked to come alive. But it's amazing how much of my wife's shelf clutter can be rattled right to the floor with 20 watts of SET tube power. :smile: :smile:

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #66,020 of 150,813
Yeah, Aegir is not going to drive your S25's well at all, not even with 2 of them unless your listening position is really close and you don't listen at very high volumes... Vidar on the other hand will drive them amazingly well!
I agree. Dynaudios need a lot of power.

Tekton makes some nice, high sensitivity models, designed for SET amps; the SET 10 and SET 15. So, they should play well with a 20 watt Class A amp.
All Tekton speakers are high efficiency, and sound awesome for their respective prices from everything I've read. Any Tekton is probably a good choice with an Aegir, even better with Aegir monoblocks if you're thinking about doing that down the road.

I know Tekton's Double Impact is their most popular model, and it's well within SnowRang3r 's budget

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #66,021 of 150,813
That they do. I have the Lores and like them a lot. However, they are pretty boring at low volume levels and need to be cranked to come alive. But it's amazing how much of my wife's shelf clutter can be rattled right to the floor with 20 watts of SET tube power. :smile: :smile:
That's odd, I've heard reviewers I trust say the opposite, that they're great at low volumes.

Do you not use any tone controls? Loudness or tone controls are a must for low volume listening, IMO.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #66,022 of 150,813
That's odd, I've heard reviewers I trust say the opposite, that they're great at low volumes.

Do you not use any tone controls? Loudness or tone controls are a must for low volume listening, IMO.

I don't use any tone controls or EQ in the big rig, no.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #66,025 of 150,813
In addition to your budget, it would also help to know your room dimensions, your music preferences, and your tonal preferences. What are your favorite headphones? Also, how far away from the front wall can you place your speakers?
It's a open concept living + dining + kitchen (I know not ideal for music but it's what I got for now), around 478sq-ft from what I can see on the blueprints.

Music is mostly classic rock and EDM but a bit of everything. Tonal preferences, are pretty much in line with my Focal Clear's, maybe a bit more bass if I had to be picky (but could also just be me missing the physical impact of speakers).

As mentioned I currently have the KEF LS50 so metal dome tweeters don't seem to bother me as they do some. I can do 2-3ft away from the wall, any more and I'm afraid the future wife will go crazy...

Seems like from everyone else's posts I was on the right track with Klipsch and Zu. I forgot about Tekton but definitly will take a look at their lineup as well!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #66,026 of 150,813
Watch out for that fake Russian morse code.

:smile:

I defer all those messages to @Paladin79 for translation. He has Russian contacts. I'm also extra nice to him because of that. I never claimed to be stupid either. :laughing::laughing:

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #66,027 of 150,813
It's a open concept living + dining + kitchen (I know not ideal for music but it's what I got for now), around 478sq-ft from what I can see on the blueprints.

Music is mostly classic rock and EDM but a bit of everything. Tonal preferences, are pretty much in line with my Focal Clear's, maybe a bit more bass if I had to be picky (but could also just be me missing the physical impact of speakers).

As mentioned I currently have the KEF LS50 so metal dome tweeters don't seem to bother me as they do some. I can do 2-3ft away from the wall, any more and I'm afraid the future wife will go crazy...

Seems like from everyone else's posts I was on the right track with Klipsch and Zu. I forgot about Tekton but definitly will take a look at their lineup as well!

what about LS50 + some subs? if the system winds up with one speaker in a corner (which will increase the bass resonance / room gain) a single sub (like SVS SB2000) placed closer to the inboard speaker may suffice. LS50 has the Uni-Q alignment with tweeter and mid-bass axes coincident for better imaging.

besides the Aegir amp, what is the source / pre-amp config?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #66,029 of 150,813
Nice review. I ordered his suggested upgrades. Now on to make a final cartridge decision. Soundsmith?

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #66,030 of 150,813
Seems like some people are dimsayed about the Schiit Transport tentative price point. The thing is the word “expensive” is always relative to:

-,the specs it offers
- can it compete with other products 2-5 times its price
- for obvious reasons; the individuals budget.

2 out of 3 we don’t know yet. So best to just wait and see first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back