Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #65,566 of 149,544
Well... You're comparing Bluetooth to Yggy. Not really fair. I'm not sure you'll get anything close to Yggy sound quality out of Bluetooth but maybe others will speak with more authority on the sound quality on some of the newer Bluetooth codecs.

There's also the added variable of Youtube sound not being lossless. Granted some videos on YouTube have good sound and sound fine in my system but my system is far more humble and less resolving than a system with the Yggy.
It seems like all bluetooth receivers on the market are <$200 with SE analogue outputs. If Schiit can make something with balanced output and with a price similar to Modius/Bifrost, I would definitely buy.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #65,567 of 149,544
The use case for me is to allow my speakers play youtube videos.
Chromecast? You can cast any YT video from the YT app to any Chromecast or Chromecast-enabled TV. If the TV has an optical digital sound out (many have it), run it to the optical input on the Yggdrasil. Not totally automatic because you need to switch inputs on the Yggdrasil.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #65,568 of 149,544
One of my many odd hobbies is collecting and restoring old 500 series Tektronix oscilloscopes. Full of vacuum tubes. My 555 dual beam 'scope has over 100 vacuum tubes in it. Plus the outboard regulated power supply. Heats up the work space quite nicely on a cold winter evening.

OMG. I couldn't even imagine. I couldn't keep a Valhalla 2 in Florida because it gave off too much heat.

Oct 10, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #65,569 of 149,544
One of my many odd hobbies is collecting and restoring old 500 series Tektronix oscilloscopes. Full of vacuum tubes. My 555 dual beam 'scope has over 100 vacuum tubes in it. Plus the outboard regulated power supply. Heats up the work space quite nicely on a cold winter evening.
That’s a cool hobby.

Oct 10, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #65,570 of 149,544

The 555 is a real thing of beauty! Quality and workmanship throughout, and shows that tubes actually are pretty reliable. Very impressive (and heavy, literally heavy) stuff.

I first found out about it on a YouTube channel I’m following; MrCarlson’s Lab, great channel if you’re into tubes, radio receivers, electronics or all of the above :smiley:

Here’s the video about the 555:

Oct 10, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #65,571 of 149,544
The 555 is a real thing of beauty! Quality and workmanship throughout, and shows that tubes actually are pretty reliable. Very impressive (and heavy, literally heavy) stuff.

I first found out about it on a YouTube channel I’m following; MrCarlson’s Lab, great channel if you’re into tubes, radio receivers, electronics or all of the above :smiley:

What a beast!

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #65,572 of 149,544
Tektronix type 555 - and yet another random object added to the list of things I desperately want, even though I have absolutely no use for them. Good thing I'm not rich...

BTW, does anyone else recall that, back in the early '70s, Kenwood made an oscilloscope for home stereo use? Packaged just like any other hi-fi component complete with wood side panels.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #65,573 of 149,544

I don’t want to know how many hours I have spent watching Mr. Carlson’s lab.

Oct 10, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #65,576 of 149,544
Oct 10, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #65,577 of 149,544
re: Bluetooth Schiit. I don't recall what Jason has said on the subject but Mike Moffat has repeatedly included Bluetooth in his list of things that "sound like ass," and he doesn't like making things that sound like ass. :)

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #65,579 of 149,544
We have some charitable donation organizations in the area with retail stores. My best take was 30 CDs for $8 plus a $10 donation because they're good peeps.
Just get your flea market stuff indoors in the winter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back