Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 14, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #64,816 of 150,661
Think I can replace all my Sonos with Pi and have them play in perfect sync? It's 4-5 rooms of audio goodness...
I do it all the time with Squeezeplayer. There is a SLIGHT decrease in sound quality when players are synchronized but this only noticeable when AB listening, not casual listening.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #64,817 of 150,661
Question for all those who leave your gear powered on all the time. What do you use for a surge protector? I'm looking to add a dedicated surge protector for my audio gear. So investing in a good surge protector is something I'm considering and looking for options.

I have several Furman PL-8C for surge protection.

They're more geared toward musicians and rack-mounted gear, but the price/feature ratio is great and I feel very confident in their ability to honor warranties, etc.

Sep 14, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #64,819 of 150,661
Question for all those who leave your gear powered on all the time. What do you use for a surge protector? I'm looking to add a dedicated surge protector for my audio gear. So investing in a good surge protector is something I'm considering and looking for options.
I have used Monster and Sound Application in my stereo rig with great results, but price (at least for the Sound Application) can be quite high. For my headphone rig , I am using Audioquest Powerquest 3. I don't leave my gear on all the time. I do find it improves the sound performance noticeably just like the Sound Application, but at a much cheaper price. Probably one of the best hidden gems that I stumbled on.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #64,821 of 150,661
FYI, I just checked with my Engineering Director and he said in over 25 years of data we have never had a failure related to this whiskering effect. The primary lead-free solder we use is Sn-2.5Ag-0.8Cu-0.5Sb. I don't see that compound in the NASA data. Perhaps it's the presence of antimony that prevents this?

We just use straight 63/37 for most things (unless they require lower temp solder for certain applications) no RoHS for space.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #64,822 of 150,661
I have one of these: https://www.leviton.com/en/products/51120-1 installed at my breaker panel. Does a good job of protecting the whole house.

those are good for protection from external surges (grid switching, lightning strikes adjacent to power lines, etc), but within your household, motor driven appliances (fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, blower on the furnace, etc..) can also generate surges.

I had a previous setup with a <poorly designed> preamp (company no longer in business, but maybe for other reasons) that was very susceptible to line noise / surges-- including some massive pops when a paper shredder on the same circuit was turned on / off :scream: . fixed that situation with the Belkin surge / multi-stage noise filter.:L3000:

Sep 14, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #64,824 of 150,661
those are good for protection from external surges (grid switching, lightning strikes adjacent to power lines, etc), but within your household, motor driven appliances (fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, blower on the furnace, etc..) can also generate surges.

I had a previous setup with a <poorly designed> preamp (company no longer in business, but maybe for other reasons) that was very susceptible to line noise / surges-- including some massive pops when a paper shredder on the same circuit was turned on / off :scream: . fixed that situation with the Belkin surge / multi-stage noise filter.:L3000:
Not had that issue since I installed the central TVSS. It's been quieter - my audio gear is on it's own circuit, all of the large appliances are on their own circuits. The common point (breaker panel) is clamped by the TVSS, so any transient generated by the appliance would have to go through the breaker panel to get to the audio gear. Granted this only covers surges, the dips and sags are seen everywhere. We're not affected by the neighbors - our house is on its own transformer at the end of a short radial feeder that serves two other residences. The transformer seems to draw its share of suicide squirrels which like to clear the primary fuse. Which sounds like a 12 gauge shotgun when that fuse clears. The power here is a lot cleaner than previous places I've lived.

Sounds like that paper shredder needed a snubber network across the power switch contacts!

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #64,825 of 150,661
Sep 15, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #64,826 of 150,661
A proprietary communication protocol that only works with Schiit DACs? No, I don't think they will do that. They are not PSAudio. :)
I was gonna say Bats*&t Crazy, but yours works too...

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #64,827 of 150,661
Think I can replace all my Sonos with Pi and have them play in perfect sync? It's 4-5 rooms of audio goodness...
yes. I do that a great deal. I suspect if they are Roon endpoints they would (@Ableza or @golfbravobravo are both btr able to comment on that), but my LMS-based system does it just fine.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #64,830 of 150,661
I’m not using a surge protector and it hasn’t even occurred to me I might need one until I read the last few pages of this thread. Now, about that Belkin device...

The original belkin suddenly stopped working (no power to any of the protected outlets). Presumably, one of the MOV's failed, due to age, and took out a PCB trace or an internal safety fuse. I contacted their warranty dept, sent it to them for repair, and received a new unit as replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back