Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #64,306 of 153,491
To an optimist the pot is half full, and to a pessimist it's half empty. To an engineer, the pot is twice as big as it needs to be. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
Unless you're the one who wants coffee when there isn't any...

Sep 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #64,307 of 153,491
I received from FedEx the new Vali 2 I ordered. I changed my mind on not buying any new Schiit and used the excuse that I don't know what's going to happen in November, but the truth is I just wanted to go back to the tube sound for my HD6XX.

I gave it a 10 minute warmup and it's sounding good already. :)

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #64,308 of 153,491
You're reading my mind.
Just received an email from a friend who has close relation to Bruno Putzeys, he is now assembling the Purifi 1ET400 and wants to make an appointment to hear it on our ESL Plus Quads end September. Will let you know as soon as I've heard them.
Must agree with @earnmyturns that the last time I heard the Hypex Class D amplifier its also sounded much too "electronic" to me. But I keep an open mind for changes. Has to beat the Aegirs so not an easy task.
Curious to know the assembly(power supply/input board and output board) and the sound result. I never heard classD in my system, but the reading tells me that hybrids seem to sound better. I read that with the purify some do opamp rolling. I heard the Quad like 25 years ago with a full Van Medevoort set, fantastic until things go very low, that and the panel position kept me from considering those lovely speaker. All very interesting.
thanks in advance for keeping us posted.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #64,309 of 153,491
Curious to know the assembly(power supply/input board and output board) and the sound result. I never heard classD in my system, but the reading tells me that hybrids seem to sound better. I read that with the purify some do opamp rolling. I heard the Quad like 25 years ago with a full Van Medevoort set, fantastic until things go very low, that and the panel position kept me from considering those lovely speaker. All very interesting.
PS Audio had a class D amplifier several years ago that had an A rating from stereophile... I still have it and sounds pretty good, but I preferred the more traditional McCormack DNA 125.

That said, the Amp I recently installed in my car is class D 5 channel... Sounds good with much less heat and size - and for me - was a great application for that technology. I kinda went crazy and installed sound proofing, etc, but with road noise (and paying attention to traffic) I'm not super focused on that last couple percent of sound quality for the car! 😁

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #64,310 of 153,491
PS Audio had a class D amplifier several years ago that had an A rating from stereophile... I still have it and sounds pretty good,
The Bel Canto C7R I mentioned earlier sounds pretty good too. Except that when I replaced with the H360, same DAC (Yggdrasil), speakers (KEF Reference 1) and room, it's has if we went from 2D to 3D, showing BTW what the Yggdrasil can deliver with the right amp and speakers. Yggdrasil > H360 > KEF Ref 1 + REL T7i was the best system I had heard until we moved to a kind-of-crazy space and got a way-more-expensive Linn setup to go with it. All that gear is gone except for the Yggdrasil, which now feeds my relatively rare, no longer made tube headphone amp.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #64,311 of 153,491
The Bel Canto C7R I mentioned earlier sounds pretty good too. Except that when I replaced with the H360, same DAC (Yggdrasil), speakers (KEF Reference 1) and room, it's has if we went from 2D to 3D, showing BTW what the Yggdrasil can deliver with the right amp and speakers. Yggdrasil > H360 > KEF Ref 1 + REL T7i was the best system I had heard until we moved to a kind-of-crazy space and got a way-more-expensive Linn setup to go with it. All that gear is gone except for the Yggdrasil, which now feeds my relatively rare, no longer made tube headphone amp.
Yeah, that was my experience too with a 2 channel system connected to Vandersteen 3A sigs and Model 5... A fuller, richer, more 3 dimensional sound with tighter more controlled bass.

Haven't had that system set up in 7 years as no place to put it with my current living arrangements, but I still have the gear in storage - couldn't quite bring myself to sell it. 😁

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #64,312 of 153,491
I heard the Quad like 25 years ago with a full Van Medevoort set, fantastic until things go very low, that and the panel position kept me from considering those lovely speaker. All very interesting.
Come to the Netherlands and listen. The rebuild Quads go down to 30 Hz with less than 1% distortion and within 3 dB. Can play 106 dB at 2 meters. Most assumptions and stories about ESL's are a myth. Playing them with the Yggdrasil, Freya-S and Aegirs is a joy for life.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #64,313 of 153,491
Come to the Netherlands and listen. The rebuild Quads go down to 30 Hz with less than 1% distortion and within 3 dB. Can play 106 dB at 2 meters. Most assumptions and stories about ESL's are a myth. Playing them with the Yggdrasil, Freya-S and Aegirs is a joy for life.

Where in NL are you?

Sep 4, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #64,314 of 153,491
Cashing my Reality Check(tm) please.

A good cabernet for an early 4am breakfast, by the light of flickering LED candles so not to disturb the ex-missus, smooth jazz from a modest $4k Schiit & Senn audiophile head chain...

Don't we all do this sort of thing? :gs1000smile:

:grinning: :sweat_smile::grimacing:

1. I prefer a good merlot.
2. LED candles? Are real candles noisier?
3. Why not disturb the ex-missus? You try to avoid disturbing the missus to keep her from becoming the ex-missus, right? Unless you're being careful not to disturb the ex-missus to keep her from waking up and painfully reminding you why she's the ex-missus. In that case, nevermind.
4. Marilyn Manson is preferred at 4 AM. Or PM. Anti-jazz.
5. Modest and $4k aren't typically used in the same sentence together.

So yeah, we all do this sort of thing...just differently. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #64,316 of 153,491

Man, I'd love to hear those. Been many moons since I last heard a pair. They did so many things so very well, but didn't have enough bass for my tastes (if I had to guess their -3dB point was around 40 Hz). 30 Hz would make me smile. :smile:

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #64,317 of 153,491
Yeah, that was my experience too with a 2 channel system connected to Vandersteen 3A sigs and Model 5... A fuller, richer, more 3 dimensional sound with tighter more controlled bass.
There is a brand and type of speaker, the 3A signature, I would love hear. Read many good reviews and it is an itreguing very different design. Must have Dutch ancestors with that name.

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #64,319 of 153,491
I see you have never browsed audiophilestyle.com.

Nothing that cheap can be any good. I consider these a baseline or starter pair for the economically disadvantaged: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

https://highend-electronics.com/products/voxative-ampeggio-due-loudspeaker-system

1599262548579.png

Of course, they don't sound their best unless you get a set of starter speaker cables:

1599262752216.png

Sep 4, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #64,320 of 153,491
There is a brand and type of speaker, the 3A signature, I would love hear. Read many good reviews and it is an itreguing very different design. Must have Dutch ancestors with that name.
For sure...

I had the pleasure of speaking with Richard when I first got into audio back in the early 90's and worked my way up the speaker line.

He was always very intersted in time-coherence and phase - and his speakers were often described as having a laid back sound - but are very natural sounding, especially for acoustic instruments...

I went that direction over Klipsch as even then I listened to a wide range of genres.

Fun times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back