Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #62,191 of 150,813
I believe so, but I'm curious about how the Metrum and Sonnet product lines will (or not) merge. I used to own a Metrum Onyx, and recently I got a Sonnet Morpheus to serve as the laid-back counterpart to never-a-dull-moment Yggdrasil. I keep buying and selling NOS DACs (Holo Spring, later Onyx, then Morpheus) because there's something in NOS that I really like, but the Yggdrasil stays and makes fun of my fancies.

NOS refers to "non-over-sampling" or "New Old Stock" i.e. based on out-of-production chipset like philips TDA1541???

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #62,192 of 150,813
<deleted>

Move along to the next post. Nothing to see here. :D

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #62,193 of 150,813
Easy folks, on mobile this thread is 4146 pages and counting. 500 of those pages might actually be "on" topic. The beauty and vibrancy of this thread is the inclusion of off topic subjects. Do not fret if the current noise is like nails on a chalkboard, this too shall pass. Tune in later and the noise may sound like music to your ears.

Scrolling past posts that irritate you is easier then blocking someone. Just as we can't agree on everything, we won't disagree on everything..

As @Ripper2860 always tells me....How bout them Cowboys!!

Lighten up, Francis. I just wanted to say “Schiit Schow.“

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #62,194 of 150,813
NOS refers to "non-over-sampling" or "New Old Stock" i.e. based on out-of-production chipset like philips TDA1541???
Cute :ksc75smile: non-oversampling, of course.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #62,196 of 150,813
I'd like to politely suggest to everyone that we don't use this thread for Covid-based conversations. Hundreds of other forums/threads on the 'net to make your arguments. Let's keep this thread Schiit/sound/music related.
I would gladly comply where it not that I swore an oath to contest idiots who falsely inform people with dangerous info.
And I was literally asked to participate in this as a doctor.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #62,197 of 150,813
Which "cardinal rule" is that? Please don't say politics because that would be laughable. As for retracting, not going to do it, so if the mods think I need to be banned then I guess that will be it for me, but I will not be silenced just because you disagree with me.
It's not about you nor me.
It's your propaganda that kills people.
You must be a proud American.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #62,198 of 150,813
@srserl Cool. I really like Aegir with those TDs. My primary two-channel setup is fundamentally the same: Sol/Yggdrasil (unison) => Freya + => mono Aegirs => Tekton Designs Electron SEs. Secondary is the same Sol/Yggdrasil => Freya S => Vidar => KEF LS50s. I originally purchased the Freya S and Vidar to use with my KEFs, then, when I had saved enough, invested in the Tekton Designs, intending to drive them with the Freya S/Vidar pair. I was perfectly happy with that configuration. Nonetheless, it wasn't until I bought the Aegirs that the Electron SEs really blossomed, further still after I added the Freya +.

Do let me know what you think whenever you add the Freya +. Happy listening.
We must have very similar tastes as I'm moving the Ragnarok 2 into my office to run...LS50s! I've been waiting a long time for the Freya+ to come back in stock; it's been pushed out 2 or three times so far. I also have a Mani on order as I'm currently running the Sol through the phono card in the Rag 2.

Jul 21, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #62,199 of 150,813
looking at some old Jason posts, there was a Gadget in beta form, but with S/PDIF digital input & outpus (no USB)... not likely to be offered as a stand-alone product.

The Modius PCB has a lot of empty real-estate, and a provision for external power (optional for just a DAC, maybe required if other hardware like an on-board digital processor for Gadget functions is added)

Prediction: the Gadget will appear in a Modius-sized chassis with digital inputs, minimal front panel controls, IR remote, on-board AK4493 D/S DAC and analog outs.

disclaimer: i am not part of the Gadget alpha/ beta program, so if this product becomes a reality, then for the record I didn't cheat on my prediction.

...and what exactly are those Gadget functions?

Jul 21, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #62,200 of 150,813
Has this thread become Covid Happened? I get more than my fill of covid news elsewhere. I come here for schitty news.
As I'm fond of saying, "As soon as you get people involved, things get complicated." This forum is populated by real people and from time to time real life leaks into this audio utopia.

While the fundamental principal of this forum is the discussion of Schiit products, I have also appreciated and learned from the wide ranging fanciful and factual discussions.

What I don't learn from is personal attacks and counter-factual assertions.

Jul 21, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #62,204 of 150,813
We must have very similar tastes as I'm moving the Ragnarok 2 into my office to run...LS50s! I've been waiting a long time for the Freya+ to come back in stock; it's been pushed out 2 or three times so far. I also have a Mani on order as I'm currently running the Sol through the phono card in the Rag 2.

Ha! Great ears hear alike?

I’m using the Mani too, which is a sweet Phono preamp for the price. (I did upgrade the AT stylus to ML.) Jason has teased the development of a high-end Phono preamp before, and I’d be all over that if it ever sees the light of day.

Hope you needn’t wait too much longer for the Freya—I imagine the new realities under COVID make manufacturing more challenging than ever.

Jul 21, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #62,205 of 150,813
...and what exactly are those Gadget functions?

interestingly, I searched the web for “Schiit Gadget,” and found a page that Schiit had prepared for when it’s released. EDIT: I take it back. It was a press release from 2017’s RMAF show.

What it does is real-time retuning of one’s music to some target other than what the music was tuned to on the recording. Unless the page that Schiit had prepared was a clever ruse.

I don’t know whether normal listeners really want this feature, but it would preserve the sanity of persons with perfect pitch (PPP). I was a college student at Oberlin, and there were apparently PPPs in the conservatory who would yank the fluorescent bulbs in their practice rooms because the frequency of flicker kept messing with them. A tool to set all one’s music at A440 (or whatever) would probably be a godsend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back