Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #61,891 of 150,893
maybe ZZ Top could do a cover version, but change the lyrics to Hotel Texas. always found it interesting that the drummer Frank Beard is the one who doesn't have one.

And back when only Dusty had a beard!
zee-zee-top-630x420 (1).jpg

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #61,895 of 150,893
Currently, among the top three DACs (pricewise), only Gungnir offers a D/S option (and using the older AK4399 DAC chips). So the side-grades might include the AK4493 or higher (= more expensive chips in AK lineup) ? performance should be better than Modius given the more powerful and multiple linear regulated power supplies in Gungnir & Yggdrasil, combined with electro-magnetically isolated Unison interface cards. also possibility to use megacomboburrito 8x upsampler / filter with 44.1k & 48k sources.

I was just thinking about this too. We've had (in my Schiity lifetime) AK4399, 4490, and now 4493 D/S DACs. And I personally love Schiit's D/S DAC sound. So, why no upgrade/update for the D/S Gungnir? I know Mike believes in and prefers Multibit sound, but I'd be very interested in a new set of Delta/Sigma cards for my Gungnir! :grin:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #61,896 of 150,893
And back when only Dusty had a beard!
Love the Little Ole Band from Texas. One of my top three favorites. And they’re still killing it.

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #61,898 of 150,893
IC tip: epilogue of SOMMER cable. Excellence from Germany and reasonable money. Brilliant if you like yellow:ksc75smile::

I hadn't seen Sommer Cable until recently (for reasons) and I have to say I'm really impressed with them. They've kinda knocked Mogami, Canare, and even Belden off my top cable with some of their products.

I'm not much of a cable believer (probably about the same level as Jason) but the physical feel of their cables is just excellent.

Their prices really are quite good as well, granted I've never gone for the fancy yellow ones.

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #61,900 of 150,893
Probably true, but until I hear it, not gonna happen...:robot::slight_frown::tired_face:

Better not to try if you want to save $500. With multibit, hearing is believing.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #61,902 of 150,893
Love the Little Ole Band from Texas. One of my top three favourites {{{had to 'fix' the spelling, eh :ksc75smile::flag_ca:}}}. And they’re still killing it.
I'm going to leave this re-telling of a Pearl Jam song here (listen to it via your Valahalla 2 & DT600 for extra oomph)...

I found the visual spectacle too distracting so I downloaded it from iTunes. Result = nice.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #61,903 of 150,893
I've got a Bimby Gen 1. It didn't blow me away...That's why I'm in no rush to "upgrade" my Gungnir D/S. Other than getting it Unison'd, I'm leaving it alone. :full_moon_with_face:
As a means to hear a multi-bit DAC, I bought a Birfrost I B-stock a couple of weeks ago. Then I promptly left on vacation and loaned it to a friend so he could hear it while I was gone. I haven't gotten it back yet. I did listen for a couple of hours before we left, though. I was floored by the difference in sound. I immediately noticed the bass I've been missing from my Mjolnir/ HE-500 when they are fed from my DAP directly. Mids and highs are different, too, but I didn't have time to start quantifying the differences and start to decide whether or not I preferred the DAP -> Bifrost -> Mjolnir sound or the DAP -> Mjolnir sound better. For now I'll just be shocked, I wasn't ready to that much change in the sound.

In the mean time, I connected my other DAP to my Mjolnir and the sound of that pairing also lacks bass compared to having the Bifrost in the chain. There is a noticeable, but in comparison subtle, increase in detail and immediacy when using the analog out of my Questyle instead of the analog out of my A&K, though.

Can't wait to get my Bifrost back. I'll also get to see if "bits-are-bits" and try both DAPs' digital outs into the Bifrost.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #61,904 of 150,893
OFF TOPIC WARNING

If you're one who thinks these threads should only have content relevant to the subject you're likely reading the wrong thread... er, you should skip this post.

In order to repay those who posted links to the Yorkshiremen (and other comic relief), here is a link my mom sent me. The beginning is pretty good, but the real stuff starts at 2:45.

https://www.chonday.com/40885/three-little-pigs-like-you-have-never-heard-before/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back