Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 9, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #58,951 of 153,102
Why do you call them a clone? They're manufactured by Sennheiser in Germany, in the original factory aren't they? Aren't they in fact just rebranded HD650's leveraging the advantages of economies of scale and bulk ( "mass") purchases?
They are not a rebranded HD650...they were a custom model prepared for Drop and have a lower impedance. I think the HD6xx are closer to HD600 than HD650 (I have both 6xx and 650). They are easier than the HD650 to drive well. I personally prefer the HD650, but the HD6xx are quite good, especially for the price.

May 9, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #58,952 of 153,102
'morning, @StevePNW . You're in WA state, no? How are you enjoying your cherry blossoms (grumble grumble). Sorry... it's unseasonably cool here in Southern Ontario. :triportsad: I think you're going to enjoy your HD650 clone. I was obsessed with fancier and more expensive headphones. And eventually, I picked up a pair of hoity toity Ether Cs from MisterSpeakers/DanClarkAudio. Now don't get me wrong: they're a fantastic pair of 'phones (fit and finish and a What-Candian-Funds-price-tag). However, this week, I pulled out my neglected Massdrop (now, Drop) HD6XX and plugged them into my Asgard 2. And they still sound damn fine. That Senheisser sound is unlike my other 'phones. My self-imposed moral: (1) I don't have to spend lots of money to get pleasant sound. And (2) headphone upgrades provide me with more sound quality improvement than chasing the latest and greatest headamp and/or DAC and/or transport/streamer.
I'm looking forward to exploring the HDs @ScubaMan2017 but it is supposed to hit 80 degrees F in the Seattle area so we will be outside getting some vitamin D. Will have to wait until nightfall...! I'll have to check out the Dan Clark lineup in the future.

May 9, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #58,953 of 153,102
I picked up a pair of Drop HD-6XX's a couple months ago. While my DCA Aeon 2 C's are much more accomplished overall, the HD-6XX's at their $180 (US) price point get placed in the same mega-bang-for-the-buck category as the Vali 2 to me. Better stuff out there obviously, but the SQ for the dollar ratio is off the charts with both of them.
Thanks @bcowen - they seemed too good to pass up at these kind of prices. Another vote for DCA I see. Something to look forward too...

May 9, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #58,954 of 153,102
They are not a rebranded HD650...they were a custom model prepared for Drop and have a lower impedance. I think the HD6xx are closer to HD600 than HD650 (I have both 6xx and 650). They are easier than the HD650 to drive well. I personally prefer the HD650, but the HD6xx are quite good, especially for the price.

Everything I've read indicates that they are basically the same as an HD650, just slightly cheaper build quality and a different paint job. They have the same impedance according to this:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/details#details

May 9, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #58,955 of 153,102
May 9, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #58,957 of 153,102
Mine say Made in Romania on the box. It took 2-1/2 weeks for Drop to process and ship to me from New Jersey.

Did you get the standard or expedited shipping?

Edit: I'm thinking of buying a pair and getting the expedited two day shipping, but not if they are going to take a couple of weeks to actually process the order and ship it.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #58,958 of 153,102
Everything I've read indicates that they are basically the same as an HD650, just slightly cheaper build quality and a different paint job. They have the same impedance according to this:

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/details#details

Lower impedance ones are HD58X, I suppose.
They are said to be cheaper version HD700 driver in HD650 shell.
Or have you measured HD650 and HD6xx and noticed significant difference?

And one more thing it might change the sound between HD650 and HD6xx could be the wear of the pads. (and the cable, yes.)
I was really surprised how sound changed when I replaced my very old HD650 pads to new ones.

If you have old HD650, then the filter? could be different since HD650 had minor running changes.
The filter? around the driver is now stainless mesh, but the old ones were like black paper (or white paper? in one side of my HD580).
Production plant had been changed from Ireland to Romania last year as well.
And there could be other unknown changes.

May 9, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #58,959 of 153,102
On the bottom of my HD-6XX box, it says "Model: HD650" (look above the order number in the lower left)

The HD-6XX is a current version HD-650 with a different colour and cable.
IMG_20200509_143209_1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #58,960 of 153,102
Did you get the standard or expedited shipping?

Edit: I'm thinking of buying a pair and getting the expedited two day shipping, but not if they are going to take a couple of weeks to actually process the order and ship it.
Standard shipping and it took almost a week to get the label created and with the shipper. 😕

May 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #58,961 of 153,102
I've purchased several things from Drop (and not just audio stuff). Always been very happy with the products, but they will never win any awards for speedy shipping. IIRC when I bought my HD-6XX's they didn't ship for a couple business days afterwards and then took close to a week to arrive and I'm on the east coast. Maybe I'm just spoiled with Amazon where stuff is usually on my doorstep the day after I order it (well, pre-Covid anyway).

May 9, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #58,962 of 153,102
Lower impedance ones are HD58X, I suppose.
They are said to be cheaper version HD700 driver in HD650 shell.
Or have you measured HD650 and HD6xx and noticed significant difference?

And one more thing it might change the sound between HD650 and HD6xx could be the wear of the pads. (and the cable, yes.)
I was really surprised how sound changed when I replaced my very old HD650 pads to new ones.

If you have old HD650, then the filter? could be different since HD650 had minor running changes.
The filter? around the driver is now stainless mesh, but the old ones were like black paper (or white paper? in one side of my HD580).
Production plant had been changed from Ireland to Romania last year as well.
And there could be other unknown changes.

I got the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads when I bought mine as there was a discount when ordered along with the 'phones. Never even listened to the stock pads as I put the Dekonis on at the outset.

May 9, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #58,963 of 153,102
I've purchased several things from Drop (and not just audio stuff). Always been very happy with the products, but they will never win any awards for speedy shipping. IIRC when I bought my HD-6XX's they didn't ship for a couple business days afterwards and then took close to a week to arrive and I'm on the east coast. Maybe I'm just spoiled with Amazon where stuff is usually on my doorstep the day after I order it (well, pre-Covid anyway).

Things are slowly devolving to when I was a kid. You'd order something out of a catalog and it would take so long that when it showed up three months later, you'd forgotten all about it.

May 9, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #58,965 of 153,102
They're manufactured by Sennheiser in Germany, in the original factory aren't they?
Mine say Made in Romania on the box.
Sennheiser manufactured the HD650 in Ireland for years and shifted production to Romania around the end of 2018. My HD6XX is from the first drop in 2016 and it was made in Ireland.

Sonarworks is a pro audio company that has a service to measure individual headphones and provide a customized equalization calibration curve. They noticed a slight change in frequency response for HD650 manufactured in Romania. You can read about it if you Google for "Solving the HD650 mystery".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back